Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyn123_gw

LOOKING for: Double Dipped Fried Chicken

cyn123
16 years ago

Ok I am totally confused...dh says he had some double dipped fried chicken. He said that they did the coating twice. If you do this before you fry wont it defeat the purpose. I mean wouldn't you dip this in the buttermilk mixture and then dredge and then dip again in the buttermilk and dredge making the first coating fall off when doing the second coat of buttermilk. And frying it first and then doing a second coating doesn't seem like it would work either. If anyone has any recipe for this or advice please help. If I have to hear about the crispy double dipped fried chicken when I make my fried chicken I might just go insane.

thanks

cyn

Comments (12)

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

I dredge in flour, coat in an egg-buttermilk mixture, and then dredge in flour again. It all stays on.

• cyn123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks I will give that a try.

• cyn123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok I gave it a try and it kinda worked...for the most part all of the breading fell off when I was frying it...but for what part that did stay it was extra crispy and really tasty. Now if I can just figure out how to make the rest of it stay lmao

• hungrychef
    16 years ago

After you double dip your chicken place it on a rack and let it rest for about ten minutes. That will "set" the coating. Then, as you fry the chicken be sure you turn it carefully so you don't disturb the coating. Also, don't crowd the pieces. Good Luck.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

I'm sorry that didn't work for you; I just never have any trouble.
    Are you using enough grease?
    Are you deep frying or pan frying?
    You need to let each side get brown before you turn it.
    And, the heat needs to be high enough for a quick fry, or the coating will get soggy and fall off.

• cyn123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am not sure what happened...I tried it with some cut up chicken breast...maybe it was the mixture I was using. I was using a buttermilk and buffalo wing sauce. I dipped the chicken in the buttermilk and then flour and then wing sauce and back into the flour and straight into the grease. I did it in a large sauce pan with about 1 3/4 cup of hot oil. Maybe I am missing something in the process...I'm gonna give it another try this weekend. My stepson is coming over and is a fried chicken nut will see how he likes them :)

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Try using the flour... then the buttermilk... then the flour... and fry. Buffalo
    wing sauce is usually added to the already cooked wings.

• dreamhouse1
    16 years ago

I have done this before; however, I have always refrigerated between coatings. Coat as usual, refrigerate until 'set', then coat again and fry.

• chigger1963
    16 years ago

I watched paula dean do this and tried it and it was very good. Combine the buttermilk and the wing sauce rince and pat dry your chicken dredge in flour then in buttermilk mixture then back into seasoned flour. chill for about 15 min (make sure you have a lot of flour on the chicken or it will stick together and make a gummy mess) fry in plenty of good quality oil at about 375 until done
    ps skinless boneless chicken breasts dont hold coating quite as well so I put them in the freezer for 30min before frying this helps coating adhere

• cyn123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ty guys for all your help...I will be making this tomorrow with hopes of great results :) I will update on my progress on non progress tomorrow lmao

• cyn123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have a somewhat success...I was pretty pleased with what I was able to accomplish in my fried chicken. I took and mixed the wing sauce, buttermilk, and an egg together in one bowl and instead of putting the flour in a bag to shake I dredged the chicken thru. I had my chicken in the fridge and freezer to get it to set properly and then fried it. Once I set it then I put it thru the buttermilk mixture and then the flour again and right in the fryer. It was quite successful. Thanks guys for your help :)

• Jaktup
    12 years ago

Here's how I double dip my chicken. Mix buttermilk and one egg. Put seasoned salt (and cayenne if desired) in with flour into a shallow bowl. A third bowl has crushed (not fine) corn flakes.

Dip as follows: Milk, flour, milk, corn flakes. Let set for a few min and then fry without touching each other. It's quite messy and you do lose some. Have you ever heard of Popeye's Fried Chicken? Tastes spookily similar.