Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: oatmeal?

Posted by livvyandbella (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 10:28

The last couple of times I have been out and ordered oatmeal for breakfast, it was done perfect. What are they doing to make it so good? They have a huge pot of it. Do they cook it up in a crockpot? How does one make it in a crockpot? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: oatmeal?

It seems like there used to be a recipe floating around here for making oatmeal in the crockpot overnight so that it was ready in the morning. I couldn't find it so evidently I didn't save it. Hopefully someone else did and will come to the rescue.

o

I don't make oatmeal in a crockpot and I don't make the best oatmeal my son does. He uses the stove and stone ground 3 minute oats. He adds a pinch of cinnamon to the water and fruit usually peeled cut up apples, but he has used raspberries or blueberries. and then adds the oatmeal and cooks it with the fruit. Most times he will top it with more fruit.

o

One of the secrets to cooking oatmeal at home is to cook it very slowly, and stir often.

o

I tried it in the crock pot, I didn't like it at all.
I found one for you to look at, she has revised it so maybe its better.

Here is a link that might be useful: overnight oatmeal

o

Crockpot Oatmeal

Ingredients

* 2 C. milk
* 1/4 C. brown sugar
* 1 Tbs. melted butter
* 1/2 Tbs. cinnamon
* 1 C. oats

Directions

Grease the pot before adding the ingredients. Add all ingredients. Set your crockpot to low before bed and it will be ready when you wake up. Be sure not to sleep in!

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe4Living Crockpot Oatmeal

o

The secret to good oatmeal is Irish steel cut oats.
Linda C

o

I used to make oatmeal every day and eat it at my desk. I buy old fashioned oats (Martha Stewart's recipe calls for lightly toasting them in a dry fry pan first - gives a nutty flavor), I put them in a glass dish (that you can later cover- after it's cooked) and add boiling water, maybe just a bit drier than equal portions. I do that first thing in the morning, and just let it set for a while - until I get to work and am ready for my breakfast break. When I want to eat it, I put in microwave for about 2 minutes. Sometimes I put frozen blueberries or a cut up apple with some cinnamon in it first. If the dish is too small it will boil over and make a huge mess. This method cooks it perfectly every time, it's not gluey, yet it's tender. No stirring, no pot to clean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here