Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vschlaff

recipe: fudge doesn't turn out help!!

vschlaff
14 years ago

I love fudge and I try to make it every christmas. I used to use the kraft recipe on the back of the marshmellow whip jar. Now kraft doesn't make it so I have to use a different brand and different recipe. For the last 4 years my fudge just barely sets up. sometimes I can't even give it away because it doesn't set up. I need suggestions or recipes for fudge that will deffinately set up. Please help!!

Comments (7)

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Here are two tried and true fudge recipes. Both are a cooked fudge rather than the type that takes marshmallow cream so they take a little longer to make.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Maple Cream Fudge
    =================
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup cream
    1/3 cup of butter
    1/4 cup of maple syrup
    pinch of salt
    vanilla

Add the two sugars, butter and cream maple syrup and salt into a sauce pan. Place over medium heat. Stir while bringing to a boil. Lower the heat and continue to stir slowly while the mixture cooks. After about 7 minutes, test by pouring a small amount into some cold water. You
    want it to form a soft ball. You might need to cook it for another minute or two. Remove from the heat, add a couple of teaspoons of vanilla and start stirring. It takes about 14 or 15 minutes for the fudge to cool and thicken. Pour into buttered dish.

Option: Replace the cream and cup of white sugar with one can of Sweetened Condensed Milk and increase the maple syrup to 1 cup.

To make Carmels instead of fudge,

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    1/2 cup white
    1/2 cup white corn syrup
    1 cup butter
    1 cup cream
    pinch of salt
    vanilla

Cook to almost hard ball stage.Let cool slightly, stir and then pour into butter pan or mini muffin tins.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Walnut and White Chocolate Fudge
    =================
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup cream
    1/2 cup of butter
    pinch of salt
    1/4 cup of white Corn Syrup
    6 to 8 ounces Callebaut White Chocolate
    Walnuts
    2 teaspoons vanilla

Add the two sugars, butter, cream, corn syrup and salt into a sauce pan. Place over medium heat. Stir while bringing to a boil. Lower the heat and continue to stir slowly while the mixture cooks. After about 7 minutes, test by pouring a small amount into some cold water. You want it to form a soft ball. (about 235°F to 238°F on a candy thermometer) When it reaches soft ball stage, remove from the heat, and let rest for about 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes, add the vanilla and the white chocolate and stir until the white chocolate melts. You will notice the the fudge starts to thicken almost immediately. Stir another minute or two or until the fudge starts to lose its shine. Quickly add the walnuts and pour into a buttered dish.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

vschlaf, I use the old recipe, I saved it. You're right, the recipe on the jar has changed and I found that I can't just cook it for 5-7 minutes and have it turn out, I have to use a candy thermometer or drop a bit into cold water and be absolutely sure I've reached soft ball stage before I add the marshmallow cream. I hate it when they change great recipes, they are seldom improved.

Anyway, if you like, here is the original recipe from the jar, along with some flavor variations.

FANTASY FUDGE
    3 cups sugar
    3/4 cup real butter
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    12 oz. Chocolate chips
    7 oz. Jar marshmallow cream
    1 cup chopped nuts-optional
    1 tsp vanilla

Bring sugar, butter and milk to a rolling boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. (I test it at this point to make sure it has reached soft ball stage, sometimes it takes longer, especially if I make a double batch).

Remove from hat and stir in remaining ingredients until chips are melted and fudge is smooth. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan, let cool to room temperature and cut into slices.

VARIATIONS:

Peanut butter fudge: Sub peanut butter chips for chocolate and omit nuts
    Cookies and Cream: Sub white chips and stir in 1 cup crushed Oreos instead of nuts
    Creamsicle Fudge: Sub white chips for chocolate, omit nuts, pour half of the fudge into pan. Stir 2 tsp orange extract, 4 drops yellow food coloring and 3 drops red food coloring into remaining fudge, pour orange fudge over plain fudge and marble in with knife.
    Candy Cane fudge: Sub white chips, omit nuts and stir in 1/2 cup crushed candy canes, sprinkle top with more crushed candies.

Annie

• vschlaff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you for all of the wonderful recipes. I will try them over the holiday's.

• User
    14 years ago

If you like Peanut butter fudge, this one is good & easy too.

Peanut Butter Fudge
    2 sticks margarine or butter
    4 cups sugar
    11/2 ounces light corn syrup and enough evaporated milk to make 1 cup
    1 18-ounce jar peanut butter
    1 7-ounce jar marshmallow crème
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Instructions
    Melt margarine in medium saucepan. Add sugar, syrup, and milk. Bring to a boil and cook five minutes. Remove from stove. Add peanut butter, marshmallow crème, vanilla, and pecans, if desired. Pour into greased 9-by-13-inch pan. Cool and cut in squares.

Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Put peanut butter and marshmallow crème into a separate bowl before starting, making it easier to add all at one time after sugar is cooked. Try lining the prepared pan(s) with overlapping wax paper greased on both sides. The fudge will come out easier. Just peel off the paper and cut. This recipe makes enough fudge to split between two pans since not everyone likes nuts. Refrigerate fudge.

• Mary Harris
    14 years ago

Try this it is so good and sets up fast and seems too good to be true.

Two Ingredient Fudge

One large pkg. 12 or 10 oz. milk chocolate chips
    One tub of ready made frosting - chocolate fudge
    nuts are optional

I microwave the frosting 90 seconds and then microwave the chips for 90 seconds and stir them together and then I add one cup of nuts and put this mixture into an 8 x 8 greased square dish and let it set up and then cut into squares and refrigerate. You can use different flavors of frosting but I like the chocolate fudge the best. I really would think this would be less calories than the recipes above and as good and ever so easy and quick to mix up that I think if you try it you will never try another recipe than this for fudge again!

• vschlaff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, bluey48!! your recipe is very different. I will also try this over the holiday. Thanks, I'm very curious on how it will taste!!!

• User
    14 years ago

Here is a easy one I used to make.

2-Minute Fudge

1 lb Powdered sugar
    1/2 c Cocoa
    1/4 ts Salt
    1/4 c Milk
    1 tb Vanilla extract
    1/2 c Butter
    1 c Nuts, chopped

In a 1 1/2 qt.
    casserole, stir sugar, cocoa, salt, milk and vanilla together until partially blended (it will be too stiff to blend thoroughly).
    Put butter over top in center of dish.
    Microwave at high for 2 minutes, or until smooth.
    If all butter has not melted in cooking, it will as mixture is stirred.
    Blend in nuts.
    Pour into a lightly-buttered 8x4x3" dish.
    Chill 1 hour in refrigerator or 20 to 30 minutes in freezer.
    Cut into squares.
    Makes about 36 squares.