Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Barn cake

Posted by maggie4 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 07 at 9:46

This won a top prize at the Iowa State Fair this year. Would anyone have this recipe .
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Barn cake

I would love to have the recipe.

Congratulations on your win?

o

I tried a search, but couldn't find the recipe. Sometimes newspapers in the local region of state fairs will print winning recipes. Maybe you can write or e-mail one of the bigger Iowa newspapers to see if they published it.

o

Hi Maggie,
From what I've read regarding the barn cake is that it was a contest to make a cake looking as much like a barn. So sounds like it was more a decorating kind of thing than a recipe per se. Are you local to Iowa? Maybe the paper will post some pics/decoration.

This is what I found regarding the Barn Cake:

For Immediate Release
August 14, 2007

INDIANOLA BAKER TAKES TOP HONORS IN BARN AGAIN DESSERTS CONTEST

Amy Fuson of Indianola won first place and $100 from Successful Farming Magazine, as Iowas farm and food traditions met in the Barn Again Desserts competition judged August 9 at the 2007 Iowa State Fair.

Anita VanGundy of Des Moines won second place and $50 for her "Barn Again Dessert" and Brenda Becker of Pella earned third place and $15 for her "Barn Cake."

Entrants were tasked to use any cake, dessert, cookie, or combination of any of these items to create an edible barn. The creations were judged on taste, appearance and creativity.

The Iowa State Fair Foods Department is the largest of any state fair in the country. Foods Department judging is held in the Elwell Family Food Center sponsored by Blue Bunny.

The Iowa State Fair "Sounds Like Fun" and runs through August 19. The Fairgrounds are located at East 30th and East University Avenue, just 10 minutes east of downtown Des Moines, and are open 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. each day of the Fair. Exhibit hours may vary. For more information, call 800/545-FAIR or visit iowastatefair.org.

o

Did I flub up or what, I totally misread your post.
Sorry and I hope someone has the recipe.

o

Thanks Nightnurse, I wasn't sure exactly what it was. I only read part of the Des Moines Reg. I knew someone would be able to tell me more...so thanks again.
I am in need of some unusual recipes for small kids. I am thinking they could make a barn cake with frosting animals. I have lots of ideas now. This just might work.
Thanks for the info.

o

I am from Iowa and they always publish a cookbook of winning recipes. If anyone gets it, maybe they will share. I doubt any of the newspapers published them!
Julie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here