Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandie6091

LOOKING for: Canning beef stew

mandie6091
16 years ago

I would love to have a recipe for canned beef stew, has anyone got a good one, that they can give me. Thanks, mandie6091

Comment (1)

• annie1992
    16 years ago

mandie, I have better luck canning the beef and the vegetables separately. By the time the beef has processed long enough, the vegetables are too soft.

I just canned mixed vegetables cut into stew sized chunks as per the Ball Blue Book for time. The beef I canned using KatieC's Beef Burgundy recipe, it was delicious with bacon and mushrooms, yummy.

Beef Burgundy for Canning
    Recipe By :Katie, November 2002
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :
    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 pounds cubed beef chuck roasts -- (or use stew meat)
    2 large onions -- coarsely chopped
    10 slices bacon -- diced, cooked and drained
    1 whole garlic bulb -- peeled and thinly sliced
    3 cups beef broth
    3 cups Burgundy wine
    1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced -- or 2 cans mushroom stems and pieces
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon thyme
    These measurements are approximate. You need enough liquids to cover beef and veggies.
    Brown the beef cubes and set aside in a large stockpot. Brown onions and garlic and add to beef. Cook and drain bacon and add to beef. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer about an hour.
    Pour into hot, clean jars, leaving 1" headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims and adjust two piece lids.
    Process pints for 60 minutes and quarts for 75 minutes. Dial gauge canners: use 11 lbs at 0-2000 ft., 12 lbs. at 2001-4000 ft., 13 lbs. at 4001-6000 ft., and 14 lbs. over 6000 ft.
    Weighted gauge canners: use 10 lb. weight at 0-1000 ft., and 15 lb. weight over 1000 ft.
    To serve: heat and thicken with cornstarch or a roux. Serve over rice or noodles. Would also make a good stew.
    Yield:
    "5 quarts"

When I want stew I just open a jar of beef, drain the broth and thicken it into gravy, then add the beef and a jar of the vegetables (after draining them). Heat until warmed through and serve with homemade bread or biscuits.

Happy canning!

Annie

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery