Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlecityfoodgarden

RECIPE: Beef leaf recipe-beet tops are edible!

After harvesting all my beets I have been looking for ways to use the bitter green tops and I think I have finally figured out how to make them yummy!! please take a peak at my gardening blog I hope you will enjoy some tastey healthy beet greens too! If you have a favorite beet green recipe please share I still have lots to use up!

Here is a link that might be useful: blog.mylittlecityfoodgarden.com

Comments (4)

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

My DH and I like this recipe.

ROASTED BEETS ON SAUTÃED BEET GREENS WITH POACHED EGGS
    Serves 2

Ingredients:
    4 beets, roasted
    4 bunches beet greens
    ½ sweet yellow onion, roughly chopped
    3 Â 4 cloves crushed garlic
    Olive oil
    Balsamic vinegar to taste
    Salt & Pepper
    4 eggs
    *Dash hot sauce (Optional)
    *Sprouts (optional)
    *Hollandaise sauce (Optional: Can make home made or buy packaged Hollandaise sauce.)

Directions:
    Cut greens off of the beets leaving about 1" of stem on the beet and scrub the beets. Then chop stems and greens and set aside. Toss beets in olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in 350° oven until done, about 45 minutes, or you can roast them on the grill. After beets are done remove from oven, cool a little and cut off the root and stems, peel them, then cover and keep warm. Chop right before plating.

In a skillet add olive oil and heat to med high heat. Sauté onion and garlic in the olive oil until translucent. Add beet stems and greens, Balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and sauté until tender. Add dash of hot sauce (optional).

While greens are sautéing, poach 4 eggs. I use a wok with about a teaspoon of white balsamic vinegar added to the water. Remove eggs and drain on a paper towel.

Plate:
    Arrange greens on plate; add chopped roasted beets on top of greens. Top greens and beets with poached eggs.

*Optional:
    Â Can add sprouts on top of poached eggs.
    Â Can top poached eggs with Hollandaise sauce

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

My grandmother used the young beet tops to make cabbage rolls. They tasted better than when she used cabbage

• pink_warm_mama_1
    13 years ago

A simple but yummy method: wash greens well but do not shake completely dry. In mixture of melted butter and olive oil in pan put greens, sprinkle with garlic powder, and put on lid to steam.

• annainpa
    13 years ago

Hope to try the beets next year and use your recipe. My experience with root vegetable tops has been far too limited--tossing snips of radish tops into salads.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!