Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snyder_gw

RECIPE: marvelous sweet pickle?

snyder
13 years ago

Does any one have the receipe for Marvelous sweet pickle?

Comments (4)

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Please describ the recipe you're after. I have one that makes a very good bread and butter pickle out of store-bought dills, but I'm not sure it's what you want.

• snyder
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No this is not the one. I have made these and they are very good. A lady told me it takes 5 days to make and they are very crisp. She is going to send me the receipe.Thank you anyway.

• jhmatheson
    13 years ago

Sure hope you post the recipe. It sounds good.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

I always make this one, they're from Linda Lou at Harvest. She's a Certified Master Canner so you can be sure it's safe to can. My daughter starts snitching the chunks out of the container the day after I start adding the syrup!

Linda Lou's Famous Sweet Pickle Chunks

Day 1 - Prepare 24 pickling cucumbers. Wash cucumbers gently, in several changes of water if necessary. Check their condition and discard any that aren't firm and fresh. (Ideally you're using cucumbers within 24 hours of picking.) You want them clean, but you don't want to break the skin. Cut 1/16 inch off blossom end (you can cut off both ends if you wish-it's quicker and easier than taking the time to check which end is which if you are doing a large batch). Do not cut up the cucumbers. Place in sterile container (bowl, food grade plastic tub, large pot, crock, etc.) and pour enough boiling water over them to cover. Weight cucumbers so they're covered. Otherwise some cucumbers derive the benefit of the soak and others don't. A heavy bowl or plate that fits the container works well. Leave cucumbers at a cool room temperature (probably not above 75 degrees F).

If, at any point, you begin to notice scum forming, don't worry. Just rinse the cucumbers well and wash and rinse the container as well.

If you see mold forming or the cucumbers develop a nasty smell, ditch the batch.

Day 2 - Drain water off cucumbers and rinse well. Pour enough fresh boiling water over them to cover. Weight cucumbers so they're covered (rinse the bowl or plate that you're using for a weight as well).
    Day 3 - Drain water off cucumbers and rinse well. Pour enough fresh boiling water over them to cover. Weight cucumbers so they're covered (rinse the bowl or plate that you're using for a weight as well).

Day 4 - Drain water off cucumbers and rinse well. Pour enough fresh boiling water over them to cover. Weight cucumbers so they're covered (rinse the bowl or plate that you're using for a weight as well).

Day 5 - Drain water off cucumbers and rinse well. Cut the cucumbers into chunks (or spears). Make a syrup by combining:

8 cups sugar
    4 cups cider vinegar 5% acidity
    3 1/2 tsp. pickling and canning salt
    2 Tbsp. pickling spices, tied in a bag.

Heat syrup to boiling, stirring often to dissolve sugar. Pour over cucumber chunks and weight so they're covered.

Day 6 - Drain syrup and reheat drained syrup to boiling. Pour over cucumber chunks and weight so they're covered.

Day 7 - Drain syrup and reheat drained syrup to boiling. Pour over cucumber chunks and weight so they're covered. (Note: I add 1 teaspoon celery seed and 1 tablespoon mustard seed to syrup at this point, just because DH requested them. I also added an additional 1/4 cup cider vinegar, because we happen to like them a bit more "vinegary".)
    Day 8 - Drain syrup and reheat drained syrup to boiling. Pour over cucumber chunks and weight so they're covered.
    Day 9 - Prepare pint canning jars. Drain syrup, remove pickling spice bag and reheat to boiling. Pack chunks into jars and cover with hot syrup, leaving 1/2" headspace. Put on 2-piece lids and process in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.

These are amust in my house in tuna sandwiches.

Annie

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!