Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Tomato Salad

Posted by arandygail (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 08 at 9:14

Hello.

Over the weekend, I was at a carry-in and had a wonderful tomato salad. This was a marinated type salad. It was tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. I think the dressing was a vinegar/oil base with basil, oregano, and pepper--not sure of other spices.

Does anyone have a recipe for a similar type salad?

Gail

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Tomato Salad

I call it "salada"...it's also called "Italian salad", and there is no recipe.
Just cut up a cucumber or 2, a bell pepper, I like to cut the cuke into chunks and the pepper into 1/2 inch squares, peel and cut up a tomato or 2...or 3 or 4, and cut up a sweet onion.
There are no measurements, I just ues about equal quantities of cuke and tomato and a little less pepper and onion.
Then lightly sprinkle all with salt and sugar....toss together. Drizzle with a little, cider vincgar and a little olive oil, sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and some chopped fresh basil. I don't use oregano in this, but add some if you like.
Linda C

o

Don't thisk this is exactly it but it's very good:
FIRE & ICE (serves 6)
2 large red onions, cut into 1/4" slices
6 large firm tomateos, peeled & quartered
1 bell pepper, cored & cut into strips
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp celery seed
1 1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBL sugar
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper

Place the onions, tomatoes & bell pepper strips in a bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, 1/4 cup water & the seasonings to a boil. Boil 1 minute only. While still hot, pour over the vegetables. Chill~~Cotton Country Collection

o

Here's one I do -

Tomato Onion Salad

1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons of water
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp Salt
5 Medium tomatoes, unpeeled
1 large purple onion
2 tsp minced fresh oregano or 1/2 t Dried oregano

COMBINE first 6 ingredients in a jar; cover tightly and shake vigorously. Set aside.

CORE tomatoes; cut each into 6 slices. Thinly slice onion and separate into rings. Layer tomato and onion in a shallow dish; sprinkle with oregano. Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables; cover and marinate in refrigerator 3 hours.

o

Thanks everyone. I am anxious to try this with tomatoes right from the garden :)

o

I do pretty close to the same thing as Lindac, but using red & yellow cherry toms cut in half, no green pepper, and just an Italian Dressing. It's really good with crumbled feta too!

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here