Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arandygail

LOOKING for: Tomato Salad

arandygail
15 years ago

Hello.

Over the weekend, I was at a carry-in and had a wonderful tomato salad. This was a marinated type salad. It was tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. I think the dressing was a vinegar/oil base with basil, oregano, and pepper--not sure of other spices.

Does anyone have a recipe for a similar type salad?

Gail

Comments (5)

• lindac
    15 years ago

I call it "salada"...it's also called "Italian salad", and there is no recipe.
    Just cut up a cucumber or 2, a bell pepper, I like to cut the cuke into chunks and the pepper into 1/2 inch squares, peel and cut up a tomato or 2...or 3 or 4, and cut up a sweet onion.
    There are no measurements, I just ues about equal quantities of cuke and tomato and a little less pepper and onion.
    Then lightly sprinkle all with salt and sugar....toss together. Drizzle with a little, cider vincgar and a little olive oil, sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and some chopped fresh basil. I don't use oregano in this, but add some if you like.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Don't thisk this is exactly it but it's very good:
    FIRE & ICE (serves 6)
    2 large red onions, cut into 1/4" slices
    6 large firm tomateos, peeled & quartered
    1 bell pepper, cored & cut into strips
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    1 1/2 tsp celery seed
    1 1/2 tsp mustard seed
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 TBL sugar
    1/2 tsp cracked black pepper

Place the onions, tomatoes & bell pepper strips in a bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, 1/4 cup water & the seasonings to a boil. Boil 1 minute only. While still hot, pour over the vegetables. Chill~~Cotton Country Collection

• kaelkriver
    15 years ago

Here's one I do -

Tomato Onion Salad

1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
    3 tablespoons of water
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 tsp Salt
    5 Medium tomatoes, unpeeled
    1 large purple onion
    2 tsp minced fresh oregano or 1/2 t Dried oregano

COMBINE first 6 ingredients in a jar; cover tightly and shake vigorously. Set aside.

CORE tomatoes; cut each into 6 slices. Thinly slice onion and separate into rings. Layer tomato and onion in a shallow dish; sprinkle with oregano. Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables; cover and marinate in refrigerator 3 hours.

• arandygail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. I am anxious to try this with tomatoes right from the garden :)

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

I do pretty close to the same thing as Lindac, but using red & yellow cherry toms cut in half, no green pepper, and just an Italian Dressing. It's really good with crumbled feta too!

Linda

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals