Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Annies salsa

Posted by vschlaff (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 24, 09 at 7:55

Hi everyone,
I had a very disapointing day yesterday. I'm new to canning and I tried Annies salsa recipe. I measured all of the veg's, and I used 2 cups of vinegar. I doubled the batch.
someone had posted that annies recipe needed 1 cup of vinegar if I was going to use the water bath. I did, and it was way to much vinegar.
Any suggestions,
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Annies salsa

vschalf, that's my recipe. If you want to can it safely in a boiling water bath, you cannot reduce the acid ingredient, which is the vinegar, because of all the other low acid vegetables included in that recipe. In fact, I think the National Center for Home Food Preservation is going to revamp their guidelines on home canned salsa and the recommendation for acidity levels will probably increase.

HOWEVER, you can substitute lemon or lime juice for the vinegar, many people have done that and like the end result, but that will only work for you if it's the vinegar you object to and not the general acidity level. You might try to add more sugar, that seems to decrease the flavor of the acid ingredients, but it might just make it too sweet.

It's funny, I started out pressure canning that recipe because I was trying to get rid of some of the vinegar. It didn't taste right, it turns out that my family LIKES the vinegar. Only apple cider vinegar, not white, the apple cider vinegar has a sweeter flavor.

You may just not like the recipe and might have to find another that is closer to your taste. Check the website for the National Center for Home Food Preservation or this one from Michigan State University, they have several recipes.

You will find that all of them contain pretty much the same levels of vinegar or citrus juice, that's what makes them safe to can.

Happy Canning!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here