Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: Cuban Recipes

eileenlaunonen
15 years ago

Had a wonderful Cuban meal the other night and I thought...I must increase my recipe box with this fantastic food....Please share TIA

Comments (8)

• ltcollins1949
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love Cuban food too. Here are some Cuban Recipes.

• pat_t
    15 years ago

Here's a good one too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuban Recipes Blog

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Check out these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuban Recipes

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

• ltcollins1949
    15 years ago

You are welcome!

• angelaid
    15 years ago

From Marlen, bless her heart.

Cuban Sandwich
    Remember!...NO tomato!...NO bell pepper!...NO onion!...NO lettuce (shredded or otherwise)! This is better with Cuban Bread

Cuban bread or substitute French bread if you must,but NOT a baguette!

butter, softened
    1 pound boiled ham sliced (Use a good quality ham.)
    1 pound lech asado (roasted Cuban pork) sliced
    ½ pound Swiss cheese, sliced (Use a mild Swiss, like Baby Swiss -- it has only a few holes.)
    Sliced dill pickles (dill "Sandwich Stackers" work great)
    Yellow mustard
    To make four generous sandwiches:

Cubans use a sandwich press, but you can also use a preheated pancake griddle or large fry pan.

1. Cut the bread into sections about 8 inches long. Cut these in half and spread butter on both halves (inside). Make each sandwich with the ingredients in this order: pickles, roasted pork, ham, and cheese. Be generous!

Place the sandwich on the hot griddle (fry pan) sprayed with a little "Pam" or lightly greased. Place a heavy iron skillet or bacon press on top of the sandwich to flatten. (You really want to smash the sandwich, compressing the bread to about 1/3 its original size!) Grill the sandwiches for two to three
    minutes on each side, until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden. Make sure your griddle or fry pan is not TOO HOT! Otherwise, the crust will burn before the cheese melts. Slice the sandwich in half diagonally and serve.

Cuban Shredded Pork

Ingredients
    1 1/2 pounds boneless pork chops
    1 pint water to cover
    1 lime, juiced
    1 sprig fresh thyme
    8 black peppercorns
    1 tablespoon garlic powder, or to taste
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    salt to taste

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
    1 lime, juiced
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
    1 In a large saucepan, combine water, juice of one lime, thyme sprig, peppercorns, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Bring mixture to a boil. Add pork chops, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until meat is very tender. Add more water as necessary to keep chops covered.
    2 Turn off heat and let the chops rest in the broth for 30 minutes. Remove chops from broth and shred, removing excess fat; set aside.
    3 In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the shredded pork and fry until it is almost crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and continue to cook until the onion is just tender yet slightly crisp, about 10 minutes more. Add the juice of one lime, mix though and toss with cilantro. Serve and enjoy.
    Serve with Black Beans and rice

GRANDPA ARROYO'S CUBAN BLACK BEANS & RICE

2 lbs. black beans
    2 lg. bell peppers
    1 c. olive oil
    1/2 c. sugar
    2 lg. onions
    8 oz. diced pimentos
    1 c. vegetable oil
    1 1/2 c. sherry
    1 1/4 to 1 1/2 c. vinegar (to taste)
    2 c. rice
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Soak black beans overnight. Cover in pressure cooker with water 2 inches over top of black beans. Cook in pressure cooker for 45 minutes. Do not drain any remaining fluid. Dice onions. Cut bell peppers into 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch slices. Add all ingredients to black beans. Simmer for 2 to 4 hours. Beans should make their own broth.
    Add liquid when necessary to prevent drying out or burning, but keep broth thick. Serve over rice. Use as side dish to chicken or steak, or main dish on its own. Also, try in flour tortillas to make unique Cuban burittos.

• woodie
    15 years ago

Here's another recipe from Marlen..........

Cuban Fritas (Cuban Hamburgers)
    Posted by Marlen (My Page) on Fri, Aug 15, 03 at 0:33

This is the Cuban version of the good ole American hamburger. It is made into patties and served on plain hamburger buns. A deli close to my house makes them into rectangles and serves them on Cuban bread and they are superb!
    Traditional Cuban fritas are served with a bit of ketchup, a sprinkle of chopped onions and a pile of shoe string potatoes right out of the can on top of the meat, inside the bun!
    The traditional version also has no lettuce or cheese, but DH sneaks it in and calls it the Cuban-American version! LOLOL
    If the patties are not too firm after I form them, I return them to the refrigerator to firm up before cooking.
    This is my version.

1/2 lb. lean ground beef
    1/2 lb/ ground pork
    2 T ketchup
    1/ 2 c fresh bread crumbs
    1 egg beaten
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 /2 c finely minced yellow onion
    1/4 tsp cumin
    Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients well and form into patties. Fry in olive oil or grill.
    I use my George Foreman grill.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

It's not Cuban but this was one of Marlen's most favorite recipes & it's probably listed on the link I posted above but bears repeating:

Marlen's Cantaloupe Bread
    3 eggs,beaten
    1 c vegetable oil
    2 c granulated sugar
    3 t pure vanilla extract
    2 cups of pureed cantalope
    3 c all-purpose flour
    1 t salt
    1 t baking soda
    3/4 t baking powder
    2 t ground cinnamon
    1/2 t ground ginger
    1 c chopped walnuts

Mix eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla. Add pureed cantaloupe to mixture. Sift dry ingredients. Add to liquid. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9x5 loaf pans. Bake 325* for 1 hour or until done. Check after 50 minutes.