Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie814

LOOKING for: Fontina Baked Chicken

debbie814
16 years ago

I have some fontina cheese that I want to use up, and found a recipe for FONTINA BAKED CHICKEN from COOKS.COM. Do you have a favorite chicken recipe using fontina?

1/2 c. flour

1/4 tsp. oregano

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/4 tsp. paprika

1/8 tsp. red pepper

1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning

2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese

6 chicken breasts, skinned and boned

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 c. butter, divided

1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, cut in half

1 bunch green onions

2 c. fontina cheese, shredded (can substitute with Swiss)

Combine first 7 ingredients. Dip chicken in beaten egg; then dredge in flour mixture. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, cook about 10 minutes on both sides. Remove and drain onto paper towel. Place into a baking dish, 9 x 13. Add remaining butter to skillet. Saute mushrooms and green onion 3 minutes. Layer over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Comments (7)

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Yours looks good!

I never made this one before, Debbie, but it's been in my "to try" file for quite a while.

Chicken Valdostana

2(8 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon butter
    salt and pepper -- to taste
    2 slices prosciutto ham
    2 slices fontina cheese
    1/2 cup dry vermouth
    1/2 cup tomato sauce
    3 tablespoons heavy cream

Coat chicken breast in flour, then saute chicken in butter for about 4 minutes on each side. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover chicken with prosciutto and cheese. Pour vermouth over chicken and reduce until vermouth evaporates. Add tomato sauce and bring to boil. Add heavy cream until the two blend together.

2 servings

Serve over rice pilaf or your favorite pasta.
    from FoodTV -- recipe courtesy Maggie Smith, Logan Inn

• lindac
    16 years ago

I mix shredded fontina with grated parm and use it on a cruton on top of Onion soup....and It's wonderful on top of a pizza!...Especially good on a pizza made with pesto rather than traditional red pizza sauce.
    Linda C

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

This is one of my all time favorite chicken recipes and I usually substitute Fontina for the Mozzarella. I also substitute dry white wine for the Marsala but that's just a personal preference.

Chicken Lombardy
    Recipe courtesy The Ultimate SL Cookbook

2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    3-6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    1/2 cup all purpose flour (season with salt & pepper)
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    3/4 cup Marsala
    3/4 cup chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup (2 oz.) mozzarella cheese, shredded
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 green onions, chopped

Cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise. Place in Ziploc bag and flatten to 1/8 inch thickness using meat mallet.

Cook mushrooms in two tablespoons butter, in large skillet, until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.

Place flour in shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken pieces in flour. Place 5 or 6 pieces of chicken in 1 to 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet; cook over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Place chicken in lightly greased 13x9 baking dish, overlapping edges. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken and butter. Reserve pan drippings in skillet. Sprinkle reserved mushrooms over chicken.

Add wine and broth to skillet to deglaze. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered, ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken. Combine cheeses and green onions; sprinkle over chicken.

Bake uncovered at 450 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes. Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes or until browned.

• debbie814
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I know I can't go wrong with any of these recipes and suggestions. Thanks for your suggestions.

• cookingrvc
    16 years ago

Debbie,

The dish that Dishesdone is recommending, Chicken Valdostana, is very good. I have made Lidia's version of this many times for guests and it's great. It can be done ahead and finished off right before serving.

We typically serve it with a side of thick strand pasta like linguini, perchitelli, or spaghetti.

Here's a link to Lidia's version.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Voldastana

• becky_ca
    16 years ago

beverlyal - thank you so much for posting the Chicken Lombardy recipe! We have dinner guests coming next week, and I was on the hunt for something new. I made it tonight as a trial run, and it was really good. I made it exactly as you posted, the only difference being I made a roux out of a couple tablespoons of butter and the leftover flour before adding the wine/broth combo.

My mom used to make a chicken dish that was similiar, only with sherry instead, and it was always one of my favorites when I was growing up.

Thanks for the new compnay dish :-)

Becky
    Lompoc, CA

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

I'm glad you liked it Becky. I'll have to try your version.

Beverly