Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlsingardens

LOOKING for: a wheelbarrow full of cukes, zucchini, several squa

girlsingardens
15 years ago

Well I put the word out that I can always use extra produce and it is starting to show up on my doorstep lol. I plan on making baby food for the new one coming in November and freezing ice cube trays in one ounce portions. I will use the squash for that. Looking for other ideas, Rhiannon will eat it raw and so will Hayden. Peyton is my picky one. Lately I have been roasting 2 kinds of squash with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and then at the end of the cooking adding grated parmesan cheese. We also like fried and breaded zucchini but looking for other ideas.

Also your favorite use of cukes, I will use the little ones in pickling in a few weeks but looking for ideas. We eat them raw for snacks ( Rhiannon will have me peel the smallest ones and she eats them like a banana), overnight pickles with onions and also in sour cream sauce with dill and ranch added. Any recipes to help me use up some more cukes. We have a family reunion this weekend, and plan on taking a couple of kinds of cucumber dishes with me lol since we are supposed to get to 103 degrees with heat index up to 115.

Thanks for any ideas,

Stacie

girlsingardens

Comments (4)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

TZATZIKI (serves 6-8)
    4 cucumbers
    3 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
    1 TBL olive oil
    Salt & pepper to taste
    2 cups yogurt or yogurt & sour cream mixed

Peel & seed the cucumbers & put through a fine grater (not a blender). Allow to drain in a colander until the juices have stopped running.
    In a small bowl, mash the garlic with the olive oil, salt & pepper. Stir in the cucumbers & yogurt. Chill, covbered for 1 hour or more. ~~Discover Dayton

SWEET & SOUR SQUASH (serves 8 )
    4 small zucchini
    4 small yellow squash
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 red onion, chopped fine
    1 red bell pepper, seeded & chopped
    1 cup sherry wine vinegar (white wine vinegar works)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper

Slice the zucchini & yellow squash paper-thin into a large shallow bowl. Add the celery, red onion & bell pepper. Combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil & stir to dissolve the sugar. Pour the dressing over the vegetables while still hot. Cover & marinate at room temperature or chill overnight. Drain & serve.~~

ATJAR KETIMUN (serves 8)
    2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded & cut into 1" slices
    Salt
    1/2 cup vinegar
    3 TBL sugar
    1/4 cup water

Sprinkle the cucumbers lightly with salt & let stand 20 minutes. Drain. Heat the vinegar, sugar & water & boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat & cool.
    Add the cucumbers & let the mixture stand several hours before serving.~~Craig Claiborne

• benflower
    15 years ago

Grilled zucchini is wonderful. Just salt, pepper and a little olive oil. Put on a hot grill for a few minutes. Terrific hot or at room temp.

• benflower
    15 years ago

Also-- cucumber sandwiches would be great for the hot weather. Just cream cheese, a little garlic salt, some dill if you want, or parsley. Spread and enjoy-- you can even save some time and spread on regular sliced bread, trim the crust - cut in fourths, pop the cuke on top and you're done.

• pammiesue
    15 years ago

This recipe was published in the Cappers Weekly in 1974. One of my patients brought it to me and it is the most awesome use of zucchini ever invented!! I gave the recipe to another patient and his wife's friend won a ribbon at the County Fair. You cannot convince people that it is zucchini! I have had a lot of requests for the recipe and would like to share it with everyone. What a great way to use it up!
    ZUCCHINI PIE
    4 C. zucchini*
    1 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
    dash of salt
    2 TBS flour
    1 TBS lemon juice
    dash of nutmeg
    1 1/4 C. sugar
    1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp butter (approximately)
    1 (9 in.) unbaked pie shell
    Topping:
    1 stick margarine
    1/2 C. sugar
    1 C. flour
    *Peel zucchini. Cut lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Slice to resemble apple slices.
    ( I have also eaten this made with the grated zucchini. Either tastes wonderful, I just prefer the slices.)
    Cook Zucchini 10 min. in small amount of water. Drain. Mix cream of tarter, salt,flour,lemon juice, nutmeg sugar and cinnamon with zucchini. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Dot with butter.
    Make topping by mixing margarine, sugar and flour and crumbling over ingredients in pie shell. Bake at 375 F. for 45 min.