Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piper101_gw

RECIPE: looking for: whole stuffed cabbage recipe not using

piper101
16 years ago

Hi, In the late 1980-early 90s I worked with a girl who had recipe for whole head of cabbage,,most of inside taken out and ingredients that I remember stuffing inside were rice, hamburger, cheese and don't know the rest or the amounts AND NO TOMATOE/TOMATOE PRODUCTS IN IT. You put it all in,,put top of cabbage on and baked it. It tasted soooo good.

I searched for years,,couldn't remember name of it,,never did find one that didn't use tomatoe sauce,,juice etc. Just wasn't like that. Anyone every come across a stuffed whole cabbage recipe not using tomatoe products? Thank you.

Comments (3)

• kathyskitchen
    16 years ago

Here's one buy sooo much work!
    Stuffed Cabbage Head From Diana Rattray,
    This cabbage recipe was posted by Marie.
    25 to 30 Cabbage leaves
    3/4 cup uncooked rice
    1 1/2 pint boiling water
    2 tbsp. bacon drippings
    1 med. onion, chopped fine
    1 stick celery, chopped fine
    1 cup lean ground beef
    1 cup ground pork
    1/2 cup cooked ham, chopped fine
    1 egg, well beaten
    1/8 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. thyme
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. red pepper
    1 clove garlic, mashed
    A large white cotton cloth about 28 " square
    American or Velveeta cheese to grate
    Immerse cabbage leaves in salted boiling water; cook 2 to 3 min. or until wilted, adding a few at a time. Avoid crowding; drain and cool.
    Cook rice in boiling salted water 12 minutes; drain and transfer the rice to a large bowl.
    Cook ground pork in bacon drippings until brown, stirring occasionally. Add slat, pepper, garlic, onion, and celery, cook 5 minutes longer. Pour into cooked rice.
    Combine, rice, pork mixture, ham, ground beef, nutmeg, thyme, and egg, mix well and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
    Spread out the cloth. In center, place 4 cabbage leaves, to later resemble growing end of cabbage. Place about 1 tbsp. of mixture in center of each leaf and spread a bit.
    Continue building up the the head, using up the least attractive leaves first and placing dressing over each. Then at the last try and cover top and sides with the more perfect leaves, having used up all the dressing in the center.
    Bring up all 4 corners of the cloth and tie a string tightly and closely to the cabbage. In a large pot, pour 1 pint or more of water; place a rack or crumpled aluminum foil in the bottom. Place wrapped cabbage on rack, cover with a tight fitting lid and cook over med. heat. When water comes to a boil, reduce heat and cook 1 hour.
    When it is done, turn off the heat and let set covered for 10 minutes. Then untie string, unwrap, grate cheese over top, cover again for a couple of minutes, then gently lift our cloth and slip onto a platter.
    Serve sliced in wedges, cut like a cake, pass your favorite tomato sauce over each helping.

• piper101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Kathyskitchen!!! Sorry so much work for you to type this out. That's why I liked this gal's,,you just hollowed out a whole cabbage head,,stuffed it and put the top back on. I've made cabbage rolls many times and they are so good but the effort is a lot. Thanks again.

• CatFind9_aol_com
    12 years ago

Looking for recipe using whole cabbage where cabbage is immersed in boiling water periodically peeling back but not removing leaves until center is exposed and removed keeping whole cabbage intact. Cabbage is then stuffed with beef mixture, leaves layered back to reform whole cabbage and then secured with thin cloth (ie cheesecloth) and reimersed in boiling water to complete cooking. When done cabbage is inverted for ease in slicing. Finished dish looks like a rounded cake. In fact slices are made in whole cabbage that look like a large slice of cake. Anyone have the actual recipe? I saw a short video on the internet a couple of weeks ago but can't remember the chef who did it.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x