Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowagal_gw

LOOKING for: Cheesy Cornbread Soup....

Iowagal
17 years ago

...like they serve at a favorite deli in Clear Lake, IA. I have googled until my eyes cross but I can't find anything that sounds quite right.

It's a corn chowder, no potatoes, has cornbread in it, although I'm not sure if it is just broken up pieces of cornbread, or the cornbread mix, or both. It is salty with a hint of sweet. They were once talking about putting out a cookbook, and I would have been one of the first standing in line to buy it, but I heard that idea got put on the back burner.

I've made my own attempts at a serviceable substitute, and have really enjoyed one version with chicken broth as a base, added diced onion, heavy cream and cans of corn, liquid included, and just dumped in a cornbread mix straight from the package. Garnish with green onions and grated cheddar cheese. Not the same but good.

Can anybody help me out with a good recipe here?

Comments (17)

• msprettyky
    17 years ago

I found this recipe...it says they add cornbread to the soup before serving.

Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe #102511
    A creamy soup that can be made with sharp or mild cheddar, depending on your preference.
    1/4 cup butter
    2 cups chopped onions
    2 stalks celery, with leaves,chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    4 cups low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
    1 1/2 cups half-and-half
    2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (about 10 oz)
    1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
    1 dash Tabasco sauce
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat; add onions, celery and garlic and saute until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes; mix in flour, paprika and cayenne, and stir 3 minutes; gradually stir in broth; bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
    strain; return to same saucepan; add half and half and bring to simmer over medium heat; add cheese, ½ cup at a time, stirring until cheese melts before next addition; mix in Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco and parsley; adjust seasonings to taste; season to taste with salt and pepper

• lindac
    17 years ago

What's the restraunt? I have a friend who grew up in Clear Lake and has a house there now....she might have a handle on the recipe.
    Linda C

• Iowagal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linda, the deli is Starboard Market, well-known to anyone who's come anywhere near Clear Lake that likes good food. I've done everything to try to make this soup but outright ask them for the recipe.

mspretty, that doesn't sound like it would make a similar soup to the one in question, but it looks really good. Never thought of serving a cheese soup with cornbread instead of croutons before. Good idea.

Anyone else have anything you've used? A good corn chowder recipe, or some other kind of cream soup with corn?

• lindac
    17 years ago

I'll ask my friend to see what she can find next time she shows her face around here....
    heck...maybe I'll just call her and see what she can find out!
    Linda C

• kghdesign
    17 years ago

I used to live in Mason City and drive to Starboard for this awesome soup. I have tried to re-create it and haven't been able to come close. I live several hours drive from Clear Lake now. Please let me know if you find the recipe.

• lindac
    17 years ago

My friend is now in Florida and I forgot to ask her...
    BUT....
    Let me try to wing it....and see if I come close...
    sauteee 1/4 cup onions, 2 T finely chopped green pepper, and 1/4 cup finely chopped celery in 1/2 cup of butter sautee until soft but not browned....
    Stir in 3 T flour and cook about 45 seconds and slowly whisk in a cup and a half of chicken broth ( I'll bet it would be good with part chicken broth and part beer) and cook 2 minutes to lose the flour taste...add a cup of milk or 1/2 and 1/2 and a can of creamed corn..the 14 oz I think it is and about a cup of shredded mild white cheese...like a Jack or even a Swiss cheese.
    Did it have any bacon in it? Might to be good to cut down on the butter and add a couple of slices of chopped bacon to sautee with the onions..
    Does that sound like we are getting close?
    Linda C

• Iowagal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for what sounds like a good cheese and corn chowder, but not like the soup in question. Definitely no bacon, no celery, no green pepper, no beer, and the cheese was at least mostly, if not all, cheddar, but as for the creamed corn instead of whole kernel, that's an idea. There's a similar deli in Des Moines, but don't remember if they had cheesy cornbread soup there or not. Lots of the salads were the same, and the way the menu board was written up was the same. Also very good. Are you anywhere close to there, KGH? Linda C, take out the bacon, add some potatos and old bay, and I think I could have a pretty good lunch tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me of this post.

• lindac
    17 years ago

I go into Des M quite often....
    Do you remember the name of the place? I am pretty good at recreating something if I can taste it...

• Iowagal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, can't think of the name. It's on Ingersoll, and I think the Ingersoll Dinner Theater used to stand there when I lived down there. Oh, wait. I bet it's Palmer's. Let me know what you find out. Enjoy.

• lindac
    17 years ago

AH...it's a chain...there's one on West town parkway...and another on Douiglas in Clive...
    I'll find one and check it out.
    Linda C

• tweekydumper
    15 years ago

I just returned from Clear Lake and the Starboard. I ASKED them if they used ready made cornbread or the mix. They said THE MIX. I'm going to try to replicate the recipe like this - keeping it very simple. 1 can creamed corn, 1 can chicken broth, 1 c. cream, 1/2 c. Jack/Cheddar shredded, 1/2 c. cornbread mix. Mix all together on top of stove. Serve with additional Cheese.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Sounds good to me! Let us know how your efforts turn out. Corn, cornbread mix, cheese, and cream - all the tasty food groups in one soup!

Teresa

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

So, are you making the cornbread and baking it or just putting the mix in the chowder.Is the mix going in dry? Is Clear Lake near Okoboji? I am heading there in two weeks?

I am anxious to see the results. Deanna

• shysue
    15 years ago

Did anyone ever replicate the soup? It sure sounds mouthwatering delicious!

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

I was wondering the same thing!

• aprilflower
    15 years ago

"Posted by tweekydumper (My Page) on Mon, Sep 8, 08 at 11:46
    I just returned from Clear Lake and the Starboard. I ASKED them if they used ready made cornbread or the mix. They said THE MIX. I'm going to try to replicate the recipe like this - keeping it very simple. 1 can creamed corn, 1 can chicken broth, 1 c. cream, 1/2 c. Jack/Cheddar shredded, 1/2 c. cornbread mix. Mix all together on top of stove. Serve with additional Cheese."

I made this tonight...

It was SCRUMPTIOUS!!!

I have nothing to compare it to, as I've never eaten at the restaurant in question, nor ever had anything similar, but ohmygoodness this was good!

Next time I may add the diced onions. I did sprinkle a bit of paprika over the tops of the bowls as well, as garnish.

I recommend this! (Or at least I would, if I could talk, but my mouth is on strike - it wants another helping)

april

• fluffed
    15 years ago

Since you asked about the mix, could you just ask for the recipe? That is what I do when I am at a restaurant and like something specific enough to try and recreate it.

Nobody has ever said no.