Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pghsteelerfan

RECIPE: Jalapeno Cheese Bread

pghsteelerfan
17 years ago

Teresa asked for the recipe for this tasty bread. After remembering how good it is when used for grilled cheese sandwiches, I instantly knew what dinner would be tonite! lol!!!

Jalapeno Cheese Bread

1 Cup warm water (110 degrees)

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons white sugar

1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

6 tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers

3 cups bread flour

1 1/2 teaspoons (one packet)yeast

Add ingredients according to the bread machine's directions. Set your machine on regular basic bread.

Makes 1 - 1 1/2 pound loaf.

It makes a nice, spicy loaf of bread - just asking to be used for grilled cheese sandwiches! Hope you like it as much as we do.

Comments (8)

• woodie
    17 years ago

You need a good Jersey Beefsteak tomato to make a great sandwich on this bread - sounds just heavenly!

• lindac
    17 years ago

Ptsbgh fan....you say 1/2 cups of cheese....is that a typo or did you mean 1 1/2 cups?
    Linda C....cheese fan

• pghsteelerfan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, Linda....my recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of cheese. There are so many recipes floating around out there, though, if you'd like more cheese in your bread, I'm sure you could come up with one fairly easily.

Ooooo - I shouldn't have started eating good, homemade bread again......once I start, I can't stop! Today I made a tasty caraway-rye bread - I guess reubens will be on the dinner menu tomorrow.

I have to agree with what Shaun said on another thread...I can see the pounds climbing aboard with every bite of bread I eat! My goodness.....I hate this menopause thing!

Barb

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Thanks for the recipe, Barb! I can't wait to make this. Why did I never think of putting jalapenos in bread? I put crushed red chili peppers in my cornbread - so why not jalapenos?

Do you use fresh jalapenos or pickled?

Teresa

• pghsteelerfan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, the reason I originally started baking this bread was because I had a bumper crop of jalapenos and I wanted to use some up. So, actually, I use fresh when I have them - pickled when I don't. Sometimes you have to watch out for how much liquid they contain, though - like any other bread recipe - too much liquid may cause your bread to fall. Red chilis in cormbread?? Why didn't I ever think of THAT? Sounds delicious! Any special recipe or do you just mix some in......and how much do you use?

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Barb,
    I put the crushed red peppers in my Mexican Cornbread which is one of my favorites:

Mexican Cornbread
    bake in a 9-inch square pan at 400 degrees for 30 minutes

1 cup self-rising cornmeal
    1/2 cup flour
    1 t. baking powder
    1/4 t. baking soda
    1/2 t. salt
    2 TB sugar
    1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 c. chopped green bell pepper or 1 small can diced green chiles
    1 c. cream style corn
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    2 eggs beaten
    1/2 cup oil
    2/3 cup buttermilk

Grease a 9-inch square pan. Preheat oven to 400.

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir in onion, peppers, and grated cheese. Mix in another bowl, corn, eggs, oil, and buttermilk. Mix wet into dry with a spoon until just blended. Put into prepared pan and bake at 400 for 30 minutes.

This is a very moist bread. I think of it as a vegetable side rather than a bread :o)

• joan2007
    17 years ago

Did you add the cheese right away so it would blend completely, or did you wait towards the end of the mixing cycle of your bread machine? My husband is asking for jalapeno cheese bread, and your recipe sounds good. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: That's My Home

• pghsteelerfan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Joan, I always add the cheese at the very beginning. Hope you enjoy this bread as much as we do!
    Barb