Houzz Logo Print
belbee

RECIPE: 14 day sweet pickle recipe

belbee
16 years ago

I am looking for a 14 day sweet pickle recipe that

originally was in a Cornell Extension leaflet in the

1950's:"Easy to Make Pickles and Relishes" by Lola

Dudgeon. It has pickling spice but no celery seed.

I used 100 five inch cucumbers and am not sure if that

is how the recipe began.

Comments (9)

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Hi belbee, you might have better luck at the Harvest forum. Those folks know their canning stuff! And some folks here, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest forum

• snolady
    16 years ago

Here's a flyer with information on 14 day sweet pickle. I've made them without the celery seed. Had good results.

Here is a link that might be useful: pickle recipes

• dovetail15
    16 years ago

Dear Belbee,
    This is a 12 day receipe, easy to make. My Mom made them for years. The pickle measurement is not exact but it works for me anyway. I take my 2 gallon container with me to the store when I buy the pickles.

Crisp Sweet pickles or "Polly's Pickles"

Fill a two gallon container with sliced cucumber pickles ( not too thin). Add 1 pint of salt to 1 gallon boiling water. Pour over the cucumbers and let stand for 5 days.
    6th day- Drain off salt water and cover with boiling water. Let stand 24 hours.
    7th day- Drain,cover with boiling water and 1Tbl. Alum, 8c vinegar, 16c sugar, 1/2c pickling spice.
    9th day, 10th and 11th day- Drain syrup- bring it to a boil and pour over pickles again. Do this every day.
    12th day- put pickles in jars. It is not necessary to heat before canning, ot to seal jars air tight. Do NOT heat cucumbers or seal or they will get soft.
    Makes about6 quarts.
    MArlene Mkea33@aol.com

• benflower
    15 years ago

I realize it's a year late, but I have a great 14-day pickle recipe if you still need it. You do NOT boil the syrup as the other posted recipe. Let me know if you still want it.

• posie4u
    15 years ago

I would love to have the recipe, benflower.

• benflower
    15 years ago

posie4U-- here it is

You will need some kind of crock (glass or glazed pottery)-- I bought a couple at Walmart year before last - they are clear glass (2 gallons each) with glass lids, sort of like the glass jars they used to have candy in at old timey general stores. Don't know if they still have them.

Anyway this is the recipe.

Lay crock on its side and pack cucumbers in as tightly as possible. (This recipe is not exact. I have tweaked it some with regard to quantities though, and it still works out fine.) These are the quantities I used for one - 2 gallon crock.

Day 1 -
    Dissolve 2 cups of salt in 1 gallon of boiling water. Pour over cucumbers and let stand 24 hours.

Day 2 -

Dissolve 1 to 1 1/2 jars of powdered alum (the recipe is old and says a box of alum-- don't think it comes that way anymore - 1 used 1 and 1/2 containers - which were 1.9 ozs. each for the 2 gallon crock of pickles.

Day 3 -
    Drain cukes. Pour fresh boiling water over cucumbers and let stand 24 hours.

Day 4 -
    Drain. Boil together 1 gal. vinegar and about 1 oz. of pickling spice ( put spices in cheescloth or old clean handkerchief and tie up)-- put in pot with vinegar. After you pour the vinegar over the pickles, put the bag of spices in the top of the crock with the cucumbers.

let stand for 9 DAYS.

After 9 days - Drain cucumbers and slice crosswise. Put a layer of cucumbers and a layer of sugar in large plastic bowls or some type of non-reactive container. Use plenty of sugar so you have enough syrup to cover the cucumbers when you pack them in jars. (I think about 5-7+ lbs. for the 2 gallon crock.) Let the sugar melt and then fill clean jars. (qts. or pints) No need to process. These keep very well for a couple of years in a dark dry place.

The amount of pickles you have depends on the size and quantity of cucumbers. But like I said I'm doing a 2 gallon crock and I expect to have probably about 5-7 qts. of pickles.

For potato salad, chicken salad, etc. these are the absolute best. Make sure to chill before using.

Please excuse the approximate quantities. This is a very old recipe, but I've never had a bad pickle.

I will be glad to answer any questions.

• terunja
    15 years ago

benflower: I'm new at pickling, and have a substantial crop of lemon cucumbers coming in, which I want to pickle. Will your recipe work for them?

• benflower
    15 years ago

I've never heard of lemon cukes. I have used both the pickling cucumbers and the burpless kind, both work fine-- I would give it a try if I were you. I think you could use any kind of cucumber. Just got mine done and they're great.

• yournamehere_whatever_com
    12 years ago

Lemon Cucumbers are AMAZING! And they taste amazing too! Yes terunja they work well with every pickle recipe I've used!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES