Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncage

recipe: looking for: good general tso chicken recipe

ncage
17 years ago

Ok people i have searched the internet for a General TSO Chicken recipe. The following recipe is pretty close to every one i find:

" 4 Chicken legs with thighs

1/2 c Soy sauce

1/2 c Distilled white vinegar

1 cl Garlic; minced

1 ts Ginger root; Peeled & minced

1 ts Cornstarch

1 lg Egg; beaten lightly

1/3 c Corn oil

4 Dried hot chilis; seeded

Bone the chicken legs, including the thighs by scraping the meat from the bone, working downward and keeping close to the bone. Pull the meat down over the bone (pulling it inside out like a glove) and cut it free from the bone. Discard the skin and cut the meat from each leg into 6 pieces.

In a bowl combine the soy sauce, vinegar, 1/2 c water, the garlic and ginger root.

In another bowl, combine the egg and cornstarch and dip the chicken pieces. Heat the oil in a wok or deep, heavy skillet until very hot, add the chicken and fry it for 4 to 6 minutes, or until it is crisp. Transfer the chicken with tongs to paper towels to drain and pour off all but 1 T of the oil from the wok. Add the soy sauce mixture, the chili peppers and the chicken and cook the mixture over moderately high heat for 2 minutes, or until heated through.

Transfer it to a heated serving dish. Serves 4."

I don't know how they fix general tso chicken in your area but this is not like general tso chicken in my area. First of all every single general tso chicken ive had (the sauce is red). THe sauce from this type of recipe is black.Your not going to get a red color to your sauce by just throwing red whole chilies in. Also the tso chicken around here is a perfect combination of sweet/spicy. If you look above the recipe doesn't have anything in it to make it spicy. Can someone give me a good recipe for general tso?

thanks,

ncage

Comments (6)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Go to the gourmet sauce store and buy a bottle of General Tso sauce.
    Buy the chicken, fix it according to your recipe. drain, return to wok and sauce with the bottled sauce. Serve with steamed broccoli.
    The bottle I am currently using is by Asian Fortune and pretty darned good....it's also good on pieces of unbreaded white meat cooked in a little oil, if you are wanting to cut down on fats.
    Linda c

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I don't know how close the recipe below is to any in a good Chincese restaurant because we don't have one here (only a mediocre one) but I liked this.

Here is a link that might be useful: General Tso from the Accidental Hedonist

• pghsteelerfan
    17 years ago

ncage,
    I've made this recipe for years, and its terrific. Not sure what you mean by the one you like having a "red sauce", though - everytime I've ever had General Tso's out in a restuarant, it's always had a brownish color sauce, like this recipe's. Hope you enjoy this one!

General Tso's Chicken

1/2 cup cornstarch
    1/4 cup water
    1 1/2 teasp. minced garlic
    1 1/2 teasp. minced ginger
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1 1/2 cups hot chicken broth
    3 lbs. uncooked, chicken breast, cut in chunks

1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 teasp. pepper
    1 egg
    1 cup cornstarch
    1 cup salad oil
    2 cups green onions, chopped
    16 small, dried hot peppers

To make sauce, mix cornstarch and water together. Add garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce and vinegar. Then add chicken broth & stir until sugar dissolves. Set aside.

In separate bowl, mix chicken, soy sauce, and pepper. Stir in egg. Add cornstarch and stir til chicken is coated evenly. Add oil to help separate chicken pieces. Deep fry chicken in small quantities at 350 degrees until crispy. Drain well. When done frying chicken, heat a small amount of oil in a wok; add green onions and peppers and fry briefly. Stir the saved sauce; add to wok. Place cooked chicken in sauce and cook til the sauce thickens. Serve with rice. Serves 6-8

• claire_de_luna
    17 years ago

Here's a great recipe for General Tso's Chicken. I've made it so I know it's good. It's recommended you double the sauce recipe if you like a lot of sauce. The recipe has been rated 131 times and has 4-1/2 stars out of 5.

Here is a link that might be useful: General Tso's Chicken

• wizardnm
    17 years ago

Here's my avorite recipe, I've made it many times.

Siam Restaurant's General Tso's Chicken

1/2 cup cornstarch
    1/4 cup water
    11/2teaspoons minced garlic
    11/2 teaspoons minced gingerroot
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup cup white vinegar
    1/4 cup sherry
    11/2 cups hot chicken broth
    1 teaspoon MSG(monosodium gluconate), optional
    3 lbs. deboned dark chicken meat, cut into large chunks
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1 egg
    About 1 cup cornstarch
    1 cup vegetable oil, plus more for stir-frying
    2 cups diced green onion
    16 small dried hot peppers

To make sauce, mix 1/2 cup cornstarch and the water together. Add garlic, ginger, sugar, 1/2 cup soy sauce, the vinegar and wine. Add chicken broth and MSG, if desired, and stir until sugar dissolves. Refrigerate until needed.
    In seperate bowl, mix chicken, 1/4 cup soy sauce and the white pepper. Stir in the egg. Add about 1 cup cornstarch, until chicken is coated evenly. Add 1 cup oil to seperate pieces.
    Divide chicken into small quantities and deep-fry @ 350 until crispy. Drain on paper towel.
    Place a small amout of oil in a wok and heat until wok is hot. Add green onions and peppers and stir-fry briefly.
    Stir sauce and add to wok. Place chicken in sauce and cook until sauce thickens, adding water or cornstarch as needed for the right consistency. Serve with rice. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Nancy

• Karlonia
    16 years ago

I have a good recipe for General Tso Chicken that I posted on my beloved blog a few months ago. I created it myself after having the experience of working at a Chinese restaurant and learning how the cooks there actually made it.

One of the main differences between my recipe and most of the others that have been posted and referenced here is that mine uses ketchup as one of the base ingredients in the sauce. In addition to the chili sauce, this is what gives it the reddish color that was mentioned by the original poster.

I also use boneless chicken breasts instead of the thighs which makes preparation somewhat easier (no deboning or messy fat pieces to deal with), and the meat is generally of a better quality.

Finally, my version can also be prepared without the sauce and doubles as Sweet and Sour Chicken (after making or buying an appropriate sweet and sour sauce), or the chicken pieces can be eaten plain as "Fried Boneless Chicken", as it is known in some Chinese Restaurants.

Although I don't want to post the entire recipe here because of duplicate content issues, you can read all of the details about it from the article at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: General Tso Chicken Recipe

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone