Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanborn5_gw

RECIPE: Lost my Good Housekeeping cookbook need recipe!!

sanborn5
15 years ago

I lost this when we moved. I haven't made this for a couple of years and have forgotten the recipe.

It is a tossed salad on a platter (or maybe just lettuce, with (I think crab-meat/?shrimp maybe even both. It has sliced or quarted hard-boiled eggs, and It is served with a dressing that is Thousand Island, Russian or something very similar(It also is part of the recipe.

Anyone know what I am talking about? I am having a few lady friends over for lunch next week and thought this would make a great summer salad with French Bread.

Comments (8)

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

Checked my GH cookbook. I think this may be the recipe you are looking for. It has all the food items you mentioned.

Crab Louis
    1 cup mayonnaise
    3 TBS catchup
    2 TBS chopped green onion
    1 TBS Worcestershire
    1 TBS red wine vinegar
    2 tsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp white pepper
    1 LB cooked crab
    lettuce
    3 hard boiled eggs-sliced
    1 cucumber-sliced
    1 tomato-sliced

For the dressing;
    In medium bowl, combine first 8 ingredients; refrigerate for 30 minutes.

In center of platter heap crab meat. Encircle it with lettuce, egg, cucumber, and tomato slices. Pass the dressing separately.

Hope this is the one you are looking for! NancyLouise

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

Sanborn,

My sincere sympathy on the loss of your cookbook. I couldn't find my favorite bread cookbook after we moved, and you would have thought I'd lost a beloved family member, according to the howling and nail-biting going on! However, I found it in a box of gardening books (I don't know why, moving is traumatic).
    Anyway, have you tried finding a used copy on Alibris (alibris.com)? I hope you find/replace your book.

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

Sanborn,
    I was just on Alibris looking for a book, and checked out the GH cookbooks while I was on the site. There are a bunch! Since I don't know which of the GH books you want, I suggest that you get on the site and see if the "lost" book is available. The prices are reasonable, VERY reasonable! Good luck!

• sanborn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, I still also have boxes unpacked and will continue to look. But YES!!!! That is the recipe. Is the garden web just THE BEST. How did we ever live before without this site. I practically built my new house, picked out my kitchen, appliances, etc. and now decorating from it. Love you GARDEN WEB!!!! (maybe I need a life.)

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

Glad it was the recipe you were looking for Sanborn! I use my GH cookbook frequently. It is one of the best cookbooks I think. I received it as a Wedding gift when we were married in 1981. Good basic recipes that you can personalize to your own tastes. Hope your book is in one of those boxes! NancyLouise

• sanborn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So funny, I received mine from my mother when I got engaged and I was married in 1972, (she told me I had better learn to cook if I wanted to keep a husband!!!!!!!!!
    Ha, Still have the husband and I do LOVE to cook.

• mamaw1932_aol_com
    13 years ago

need the old recipe for chocolate fudge. 1950 1960 or1970
    Ny newest book does not have the old, and much better recipe

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

I didn't know which one you wanted so I scanned them all:

REMARKABLE FUDGE

Butter sides of heavy 3-quart saucepan.

Add 4 cups granulated sugar, one 14-1/2-ounce can (1-2/3 cups), evaporated milk, and 1 cup butter. Cook over medium heat to soft ball stage (236ú); stirring frequently. Remove from heat; add one 12-ounce package (2 cups) semisweet chocolate pieces, 1 pint marshmallow creme, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 cup broken walnuts. Beat till chocolate melts, Pour into buttered 13x9x2-inch pan. Score while warm, cut when cool and firm.

BLUE RIBBON FUDGE

Butter sides of heavy 2-quart saucepan.

In it combine 2 cups granulated sugar, one 6-ounce can evaporated milk, two l-ounce squares unsweetened chocolate, dash salt, and 1 teaspoon light corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat till chocolate melts and sugar dissolves. Cook to soft ball stage (236ú), Immediately remove from heat, Add 2 tablespoons butter without stirring. Cool to lukewarm (110ú). Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and beat vigorously till fudge stiffens and loses its gloss. Quickly stir in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, Push from pan, (don't scrape sides) into buttered shallow pan. Score while warm; cut when firm.

OPERA FUDGE

Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan.

In it combine 2 cups granulated sugar, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup light cream, 1 tablespoon light corn syrup, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, till sugar dissolves and mixture boils, Cook to soft ball stage (238ú). Immediately remove from heat; cool to lukewarm ,(110ú) without stirring. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla, Beat vigorously till fudge stiffens and loses its gloss. Quickly stir in 1/4 cup chopped candied cherries, Spread in buttered 9x5x3-inch pan. Score while warm; cut when firm.