Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

RECIPE: Mexican Pot Roast

Looking for a recipe I lost: This was a pot roast (I made it in the slow cooker) simmered in tomatoes with mexican seasoning, and kidney beans, and corn added at the end. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Was it similar to this only using a whole piece of meat rather than cut up stew meat?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican

• jackiwolfe
    16 years ago

mmmm, that recipe looks good! I think I might try that tonight if I have all the ingredients!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, that's the gist of it! I remember the taco seasoning now. And mine used kidney beans and corn. Based on this one I'm going to try working up the recipe tonight and then will post the revised one.

Since meat costs have gone up so much I've noticed that the stores don't have much choice in the better cuts: I'll bet restaurants are getting those. I'll have to expand my recipes for pot roast. I love the slow cooker: I put it outside on the deck to avoid heating up the kitchen!!

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Good idea putting it on the deck or maybe in a garage. Search this forum (up at the top) by entering crockpot in the box & you'll get lots of recipes.

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Interested as to what you serve with it.

Thanks

I found a recipe, that says shred the meat, and serve on tacos, with cream cheese stuff jalapeno peppers as a side.

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Found this searching, and sharing:

Tender and flavorful, Mexican Pot Roast would be welcome on anyone's table. Serving it with rice and a sliced avocado salad on lettuce is bound to please everyone. Add flour tortillas (fat-free) to round out the meal. You'll want a light dessert such as canned or frozen peaches to finish the feast.

Later, use the beef leftovers for Beef and Spanish Rice Taco Salad . Prepare 1 (5.6-ounce) package flour tortilla salad shells (such as refrigerated Azteca or another brand; 4 shells) according to directions. Prepare 1 (4.3- to 4.4-ounce) package quick-cooking Spanish rice mix according to directions. Microwave the leftover 2 to 21/2 cups shredded beef 3 to 5 minutes on High (100 percent power) until hot; stir. Layer equal amounts of rice and beef mixture into shells.

To each shell, add 1/4 cup chopped tomato, 1/2 cup shredded lettuce and ¼ cup shredded 50 percent light cheddar cheese. Top with chopped avocado, fat-free sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro. All you need now is fat-free strawberry ice cream for dessert

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So here's what I finally made. We liked it better than the recipe I lost! My husband actually had 3 helpings, which is very surprising (he usually likes his own cooking more).

Mexican Pot Roast

One boneless chuck roast (mine was small, ~ 2 lbs)
    1-2 T Mesquite Grill seasoning

1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, preferably with Mexican seasonings
    1 small can tomato sauce
    1 t Cajun seasoning
    1 t chili powder
    1 T Worchestershire sauce

adjust seasonings to taste or if using pre-seasoned tomatoes.

Mix these above 5 items together in a bowl.

1 medium onion and 2 cloves garlic, sliced.
    1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
    1 cup frozen corn, defrosted.

Sprinkle roast with Grill seasoning and put in slow cooker on high till browned (or can brown in a pan first). Add water or broth if liquid/fat from the meat evaporates (keep about an inch of liquid in the pot). You want it to roast with moist heat, not dry out.

Brown the onions and garlic in olive oil until caramelized.

When browned, remove meat and cut large pieces of roast in the pot into smaller pieces, like 4 or 5. Drain juice from slow cooker and separate out the fat; returning meat and de-fatted juices to slow cooker. (In my slow cooker this browning and initial cooking took about 4-5 hours on high.)

Pour kidney beans and corn around sides of meat.

Cover meat with browned onions/garlic. Pour tomato mixture over all. Stir slightly to make sure beans are covered with sauce/juice, but keep meat covered too.

Cook for another hour or so.

We served this over noodles because my daughter always wants noodles, but it would have been good too served like chili with a crispy cornbread.

Hope you like it!