Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minirose1

LOOKING for: Recipe for sweet pickled red cabbage

minirose1
13 years ago

Hi,

I'm looking for a good recipe for sweet pickled red cabbage. It's a common dish in German restaurants and quite tasty. Need one that can be canned up. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (4)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Pickled Red Cabbage

1 firm head red cabbage(about 2 pounds)
    1/4 cup coarse pickling salt
    4 cups white vinegar
    1 cup sugar

Shred cabbage with a sharp knife. Add salt, mix well. Cover and let stand 12 hours or overnight. Drain in colander and rinse well with cold water. Combine vinegar and sugar; bring to a boil. Add drained cabbage and bring back to the boil (cabbage will turn bright pink). Pack into hot steralized jars and seal.
    Yield about 4 pints.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

This looks good! I think you would want to boiling water bath this to be sure you get a good seal. And another recipe called for topping off the jar with vinegar if there is not enough of the cooking liquid to cover the cabbage in the jar.

A boiling water bath is enough boiling water to cover the top of the jars by one inch. A 20 minute boiling time in the jar was recommended by another recipe. Also, it is recommended that you open the jars for use no less than 3 weeks after canning for the best flavor.

• minirose1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I would waterbath it. One recipe I found on the web only needed to be processed at 5 minutes for pints.
    I tried the recipe in the Ball Book one time and it was awful, so wanted something better.
    Oilpainter, your recipe is more like I was looking for. Thanks so much!

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Yes minirose---I would only give them a hot water bath for 5 min.. 20 minutes would cook the cabbage and make it limp. You only want to seal the jars not cook the contents. Often I don't even water bath pickles. I meticuously wipe the jar tops with damp paper towel and always use new snap lids and if they pop and go concave the jar is sealed. In all the many years I've been canning I can count on one hand the number of jars that have spoiled and they are usually jars that are old.

I do raw pack tomatoes and hot water bath them for 35 minutes and the tomatoes boil and cook in it. My quarts of tomato juice with the contents cooked calls for 10 min.