Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
san__gw

LOOKING for: instead of mayo-based dishes

san_
16 years ago

on the cooking side of the forum, debbie mentioned that her husband doesn't like the more traditional mayo-based dishes such as cole slaw or potato salad. i like those just fine but i'd like to expand on the oil/vinegar ones i DO have in my files. do you have some you'd care to share?

Aunt KittyÂs Italian Potato Salad

Boil 8 medium potatoes until fork tender and then cut into bite-sized pieces

To the potatoes, gently stir in:

2 or 3 stalks chopped celery

½ chopped green pepper

1 small chopped onion

2 chopped tomatoes

Stir together and then pour over the vegetables:

1/3 C vegetable oil

4 T cider vinegar

½ tsp dried oregano

½ tsp dried basil

2 or 3 cloves chopped garlic

salt and pepper

Cover and refrigerate for several hours (I prefer to add the tomatoes just before serving as I donÂt like what refrigeration does to the texture and flavorÂ)

and i just realized, that this recipe comes from the same aunt (who died a couple years ago at 91). she sure was a pip and it didn't occur to me until just now, that perhaps she didn't much care for mayo either!

ZIPPY COLE SLAW

Mix together and chill for several hoursÂ

3 ½ C shredded cabbage

½ C chopped green pepper

¼ C chopped parsley

¼ C chopped celery

½ C chopped onion

In a small bowl, mix and pour over the aboveÂ

3 T vegetable oil

3 T vinegar

1 tsp mustard

1 T sugar

1 tsp salt

½ tsp celery seed

black pepper

Comments (5)

• shambo
    16 years ago

This is our family favorite. I can make what I consider to be a gigantic bowl full and it will be empty in minutes. I usually add a bit more lemon juice because I like it really tangy. It's one of the low sodium foods I make now (my husband's dietary restrictions) that doesn't suffer when I don't use any salt at all.

Sue

Patatosalata
    (Greek Potato Salad)

Fresh, lively, and bursting with flavor. This salad brightens any meal and is a delicious alternative to the typical mayonnaise-laden versions.

2  2 ½ lbs. wax potatoes (white, Yukon Gold, or red)
    ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
    Juice of 1- 2 large lemons
    1 red onion, finely diced
    1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano (optional)
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Â Finely chop onion and parsley.
    Â In a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, oregano (if used), parsley, 1 teaspoon salt and onion. Mix well and set aside.
    Â Wash potatoes well.
    Â Add potatoes to a large pot of boiling, lightly salted water. Cook potatoes at low boil for about 15 - 20 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender. Do not overcook.
    Â Drain water and let potatoes cool slightly to touch.
    Â When slightly cooled, peel and cut potatoes into slices or large dice (If desired, leave skin on red potatoes).
    Â Place potatoes in a large bowl; add dressing and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat.
    Â Cover bowl and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Stir every once in a while to redistribute dressing.

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

I make a potato salad just about identical to Sue's posted above except that I add chopped fresh mint to it.

I like to make what my aunt used to call Italian tuna salad:

Can of tuna, drained and flaked
    chopped onion
    diced tomato
    chopped fresh or dried basil or oregano
    chopped or sliced black olives
    salt, pepper and granulated garlic to taste
    olive oil and red wine vinegar

You can also add a drained and rinsed can of white beans and serve over greens.

• lindac
    16 years ago

The oil and vinegar dressings are pretty much mayo without the egg.
    I also use an oil and vinegar on a pasta salad...
    Linda C

• roselin32
    16 years ago

That Greek salad sounds yummy. Thanks.
    RL`

• shambo
    16 years ago

Ruthanna, the addition of mint sounds really nice. I've got some fresh mint growing in a pot outside, so I'll add a bit the next time I make the potato salad. Greeks throw mint into almost everything, so I'm sure it'll taste good.