Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shirleyjer

RECIPE: Fresh Corn on the Cob

shirleyjer
16 years ago

How do you freeze corn on the cob and how do you prepare it when you get ready to use it?

Comments (10)

• linda_intennessee
    16 years ago

i cut it off the cob
    put it in my food saver
    4-5 cups seems to be perfect
    seal it with a good size pat of butter

to cook it, i just boil it in the bag

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Grew up on Southern fried corn!

• divamydear
    16 years ago

I love to put fresh lime juice on my corn!!! It is so good.

• looser
    16 years ago

Have you tried grilling corn on the cob? It preserves all the flavors much better than boiling does. We clean the corn, put a small scoop of butter (plain or garlic butter) on it and wrap it in aluminum foil. Then put it on the grill for 15 to 20 minutes. Our little daughter (almost 3) calls it "outside corn" and she loves it. We use a spice mix containing salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, and a little bit of sugar to sprinkle on the corn.

• bamasue
    16 years ago

Can someone please post again the directions for preparing fresh corn in the oven without shucking first? Thank you!

• linda_intennessee
    16 years ago

method of preparing corn is to cook it in the husk over coals. When the coals are ready pick the corn and put it on the grill. The corn can actually go directly on the fire. The moisture in the husks keeps it from burning. Keep an eye on the husks, turning frequently. When the husks get brown, before they start to burn, the corn will be done. Pull back the husks, this is a little hot on the fingers but it is a good time to show off. Hand the ears around with the husk as handle. It cools in the air shortly after you have burned your fingers. We serve this with a stick of butter to rub the corn across.
    Sweet corn can be frozen on or off the cob and canned. It can also be dried.

• bamasue
    16 years ago

Thanks, Linda, and yours is the method I generally use for the grill, but I was looking for the method and temp to cook unshucked corn on the cob in the oven. It was posted here or maybe over at Cooking and did require a hot oven.

• kayskats
    16 years ago

bamasue, is this what you're looking for?

Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

4 ears fresh corn

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place corn husks directly on the oven rack and roast for 30 minutes or until corn is soft. Peel down the husks and use as a handle when eating.

couldn't find it with the search engine here
    it was the first thing up when i googled oven corn on the cob

• brownthumbia
    16 years ago

Shirl, Hope I understood your question. I have frozen corn on the cob 2 ways. The one is to blanch the corn (on the cob) for 5 minutes, cool completely, then pack in freezer bags.
    I have a friend that does NOT blanch, just puts ears in freezer bags and freezes. She says they are wonderful.
    I will say now that I have a vacuum sealer and I found out that if I freeze the corn before I seal the bags, no matter which method I use, the vacuum works MUCH better. The seal seems to stay much tighter around the ears.
    This is a late answer to your question but maybe it will help you for bext year. Hope this answers some of your questions. BT

• becky_ca
    16 years ago

I have frozen corn on the cob without blanching, and I much prefer it that way. When I blanched them it seemed like it got mushy when it was cooked after freezing. To freeze it, I just cut off the stalks and the ends so the cobs fit in gallon size ziplock freezer bags, then threw them in the freezer. To cook, I took the husks off, then boiled for a few minutes until they were heated through.

Becky
    Lompoc, CA