Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Brining 2 ??

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 07 at 16:45

My first time, and I'm going to brine some country pork backbone.

1. Do you add sugar? Why? What does the sugar do?

2. Before placing meat on the grill, do you rinse the meat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Brining 2 ??

I add sugar...because it adds to the ion count for the ion exchange thing and it's not salt....and I like a sweet BBQ flavor with pork.
I don't rinse the meat, but I do pat it dry and usually rub with something and allow it to sit refrigerated for several hours or unrefrigerated for a couple of hours....uncovered. The goal is to have the rub dry.
Linda C

o

I never added sugar to a brine when I was still brining. But along with the salt I did add herbs, garlic cloves and peppercorns. And I never rinsed. Switched the end of last year to pre-salting. Much easier than brining and I like the results even more. I use the pre-salting method now on beef, pork, chicken, turkey and lamb.

Here is a link to another thread on pre-salting in case you are interested.

Pre-salting

o
thanks

Thanks for the info. Mine is on the grill!

o

Glenda, I know it's not really polite to answer a question with a web site but I've had this one bookmarked for several years and I find it a good reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brining How To

o
thanks again

I found that site yesterday. Thanks for posting.

Just finished lunch and my backbones were very very tasty, and moist.

Have a Brinkman water smoker, and it did the job!

o

Jimtex, since when is it impolite to respond with a link that answers someone's question?

I've never heard that before.

o

Hi Gardenlad. Over the years there has been a comment or two about folks wanting tnt recipes instead of links to websites. I didn't think Glenda would take offense but I mentioned it just to let her know I wasn't taking the easy way out in answering her question. BTW I like reading your progressive dinner threads, please keep them up.
James

o
adding

And jimtex, I appreciate your adding the link! :o)
Thank you!

o

Glad you like the progressive dinners, Jimtex. Why don't you join us? A new cycle will be starting in two weeks, and there's always room for one more dish.

Back to brining. Just to voice a disenting opinion: I have never had anything brined---my own or somebody elses---that didn't taste overly salty to me. So, yes, brining is a way of assuring juicy meats. But I can do that other ways, without destroying the flavor of the dish with too much salt.

o
grilling

My country back bones, that I brined, rinsed slightly, and grilled, were delicious, and not salty.

o
RE: LOOKING for: Brining ??

That's interesting Gardenlad. Like Glenda I've never found the meats that I've brined or pre-salted to be salty at all. I know some others have said that they found that gravy made from brined birds/meat was salty, but I never found that to be the case either. Brining and pre-salting does make for wonderfully moist and flavourful meats.

Glenda, the next time you roast a chicken or turkey try brining or pre-salting. I'm sure you will be just as happy with the results.

o

I have found very useful what "The Perfect Recipe" cookbook says about brining. (I have a normal-sized book by this name, but I saw what I thought was the same name on a very thick book.) The one I have has lots of good cooking ideas, beyond just specific recipes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here