Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

LOOKING for: Brining 2 ??

glenda_al
16 years ago

My first time, and I'm going to brine some country pork backbone.

1. Do you add sugar? Why? What does the sugar do?

2. Before placing meat on the grill, do you rinse the meat?

Comments (12)

• lindac
    16 years ago

I add sugar...because it adds to the ion count for the ion exchange thing and it's not salt....and I like a sweet BBQ flavor with pork.
    I don't rinse the meat, but I do pat it dry and usually rub with something and allow it to sit refrigerated for several hours or unrefrigerated for a couple of hours....uncovered. The goal is to have the rub dry.
    Linda C

• ann_t
    16 years ago

I never added sugar to a brine when I was still brining. But along with the salt I did add herbs, garlic cloves and peppercorns. And I never rinsed. Switched the end of last year to pre-salting. Much easier than brining and I like the results even more. I use the pre-salting method now on beef, pork, chicken, turkey and lamb.

Here is a link to another thread on pre-salting in case you are interested.

Pre-salting

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. Mine is on the grill!

• jimtex
    16 years ago

Glenda, I know it's not really polite to answer a question with a web site but I've had this one bookmarked for several years and I find it a good reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brining How To

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found that site yesterday. Thanks for posting.

Just finished lunch and my backbones were very very tasty, and moist.

Have a Brinkman water smoker, and it did the job!

• gardenlad
    16 years ago

Jimtex, since when is it impolite to respond with a link that answers someone's question?

I've never heard that before.

• jimtex
    16 years ago

Hi Gardenlad. Over the years there has been a comment or two about folks wanting tnt recipes instead of links to websites. I didn't think Glenda would take offense but I mentioned it just to let her know I wasn't taking the easy way out in answering her question. BTW I like reading your progressive dinner threads, please keep them up.
    James

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    16 years ago

And jimtex, I appreciate your adding the link! :o)
    Thank you!

• gardenlad
    16 years ago

Glad you like the progressive dinners, Jimtex. Why don't you join us? A new cycle will be starting in two weeks, and there's always room for one more dish.

Back to brining. Just to voice a disenting opinion: I have never had anything brined---my own or somebody elses---that didn't taste overly salty to me. So, yes, brining is a way of assuring juicy meats. But I can do that other ways, without destroying the flavor of the dish with too much salt.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My country back bones, that I brined, rinsed slightly, and grilled, were delicious, and not salty.

• ann_t
    16 years ago

That's interesting Gardenlad. Like Glenda I've never found the meats that I've brined or pre-salted to be salty at all. I know some others have said that they found that gravy made from brined birds/meat was salty, but I never found that to be the case either. Brining and pre-salting does make for wonderfully moist and flavourful meats.

Glenda, the next time you roast a chicken or turkey try brining or pre-salting. I'm sure you will be just as happy with the results.

• joannarbor
    16 years ago

I have found very useful what "The Perfect Recipe" cookbook says about brining. (I have a normal-sized book by this name, but I saw what I thought was the same name on a very thick book.) The one I have has lots of good cooking ideas, beyond just specific recipes.