Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: bbq crab (aunt angelle's recipe)

Posted by lizzynola (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 16:27

BBQ CRAB

All crab loving men like love this recipe!

About 2 dozen blue crab (or other crab will do)

Kosher or sea salt

Cayenne pepper

1 pound of butter (4 sticks)

3 Tablespoons of liquid crab or shrimp boil

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 Tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning mix

1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 Teaspoon paprika

6 large lemons, quartered

Clean the crab thoroughly, and then crack the claws but do not remove the shells.

Sprinkle the crabs generously with the salt & cayenne.

Mix the butter, liquid boil, lemon pepper, garlic powder, worcestershire, and paprika in a saucepan.

Squeeze the lemons, and add the juice and the lemons to the pan, mix well, and heat the butter mixture over low heat until the butter is melted.

Take your basting brush and brush about 1/3 of the sauce all over the crabs.

Place the crabs, cavity side down on your grill or barbecue pit over a medium to low fire.

Close the lid and cook for about 10 minutes.

Tuen the crabs over and fill the cavities with more of the butter sauce.

Close the lid (at this point the smell is wonderful) and allow to cook for another 10- 15 minutes. This will vary according to your heat and size of your crab.

When ready brush the remaining butter sauce on the crabs & serve & enjoy!

Pass the ice cold beer!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: bbq crab (aunt angelle's recipe)

Certainly you boil the crabs before removing the shells and cracking the shells etc...
I am perfectly capable of dumping a crab into bopiling water, but not ripping the shell off while it's still alive.
And i know of no way to clean the crabs thoroughly without removing the shell....how do you get rid of the gills?
Linda C

o

Hummmmmm, well certainly you do not boil the crab for this recipe since we are BBQ-ing the crab, and you clean the crab by removing the eyes/mouth, and under the apron (which you pull off) you remove the gills and junk by simply running cold water on them until they are clean.I also scrap off any fur on the legs as well, especially if I am making a gumbo.

If you want you can do this with crab legs which you just split down the middle and proceed with the recipe.

Sorry, I should have realized that not all people know how to clean a crab. :)

o

I've cleaned lots and lots of crabs...but never live. Always cooked them first.
Linda C

o

Well, many people do not buy "live" crabs. There are excellent, fresh crabs out there that are not "alive", and if you do get the live crab, simply take your knife and scrape across the belly.

The main thrust of my post was to give a recipe for the BBQ part which is delicious with crab. It was not intended to instruct on how to clean/kill crabs.

Thank you for your comments, and you take care!

o

Lizzy, I'm guessing your from New Orleans or close by. I live in Texas close to the coast and Galveston Bay and there are folks here that try to eat their weight in bbq crabs including me. I've never made them myself but I'll save the recipe and try it this summer. As for crab cleaning I had some good friends in the 70's that taught me to ice live crabs to calm them then clean them before cooking. After you pop the back off take a small brush and scrub the gills out and any funk growing on the shell. I've done it that way ever since.
James

o

Probably because I don't live near the coast, but I could never clean something that wasn't already dead.

o

Your recipes sounds great. Thanks for posting it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here