Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shirleywny5

LOOKING for: Green or Yellow beans: How do You?

shirleywny5
16 years ago

My green, yellow, purple and Romano beans are just about ready to harvest. DH and I love beans and can have them every evening for dinner. I've served them cooked with butter, stir fried with sesame oil and garlic until fork tender and bean casserole. I have been known to have a dinner consisting of beans and nothing else. Any suggestions for something new?

Comments (6)

• lindac
    16 years ago

I love yellow wax beans cooked crisp tender and served in a white sauce seasoned highly with black pepper....
    Linda C

• gardenlad
    16 years ago

This works with any of the above:

Snap Beans with Poppy Seed Dressing

2 tsp poppy seeds
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tbls white wine vinegar
    2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 tsp honey
    2 tbls minced shallot
    Salt and pepper to taste

Prepare the dressing:

Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add poppy seeds and toast, tirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.

Add the oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, shallot, salt & pepper. Whisk until well blended.

Prepare the beans: Steam 2 lbs snap beans until just tender. Drain. Warm the dressing in a large skillet or chef's pan over medium heat. Add beans & toss to coat.

Makes 8 servings.

This can be used either as a side dish or main dish by varying the portion size:

Green Bean Pie

2 lb green beans
    1/2 onion, chopped fine
    2-3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tbsl cilantro, minced
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 cup Parmesan
    4 X-large eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup ogurt cheese or recotta
    1/3 cup pecans, ground
    1 tbls olive oil

Preheat oven to 300F. Butt a 9-inch quiche dish.

Cook beans ten minutes in boiling water. Meanwhile, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil for same amount of time.

Drain the beans and cool in cold water. Add the cilantro and oreganto to the onions and cook ten minutes more.

Combine the yogurt cheese, eggs, black pepper and half the Parmesan in a bowl until well blended.

Cut the beans in 1-inch pieces. combine with onions and egg mixture. Pour into dish.

Combine remaining Parmesan and nuts and top dish with them.

Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown on top.

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

I like to tip and halve both green and yellow beans and put them together into a pot along with a chopped onion and some marjoram. I add a can of chicken broth, water to cover and cook until tender.

Sometimes, I'll add some halved redskin potatoes and if I have leftover ham, chunks of that too.

• pump_toad
    16 years ago

Here is a old-fashioned Iowa way for green beans.Saute several slices of bacon until crisp(can use onions too if you like) remove from pan and crumble,use same pan add enough water to cover the beans.Thow the crispy bacon back in the pot,salt & pepper and cook until tender.
    Lois

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Add some chopped red or vidalia onion and balsamic vinegar to green beans that have been steamed to be tender. Good hot or cold.

• roselin32
    16 years ago

I steam green beans and toss them with salsa. And don't forget the old standby, 3 Bean Salad since you have the wax beans also.........the canned ones here are expensive.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm