Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Old School Recipe

Posted by auntsis566 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 15:50

My father attended school during the 1950s. He often speaks of a dessert that was served and how he would like to have it again. It was a peanut butter square. I think it was something like peanut butter fudge, maybe. If anyone has this recipe or remembers eating it, I would really like to hear from you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Old School Recipe

You really need to give more info. Was it layered? Was there chocolate in it? Does he remember the exact name? Did it have a topping?

o

I really don't have any other information. It was not layered, it did not have chocolate, and he does not know the name. Maybe someone else will recognize it.

o

I don't think you are looking for peanut butter fudge because that would be too time consuming for a school's cook to make in large quantities.

Perhaps you are thinking of Peanut Butter Squares? The one I have is from a cookie cookbook from 1971. Since it makes a huge amount it may have been originally developed for institutional baking and, given the simple preparation method, it would be likely. These have the consistency of a chewy brownie, not like a cake brownie. I do remember making them in the late '70's for a grade-school party and all the kids loved them but I haven't made them since. Nowadays everything has to be peanut-free because there are so many children/people who are allergic to peanuts.

Peanut Butter Squares
from 1971 Farm Journal "Homemade Cookies"

Makes about 8 dozen squares (that's 96 pieces!)

6 eggs
3 C granulated sugar
1 1/2 C brown sugar, packed
1 C peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
1/2 C shortening
1 Tblsp. vanilla
4 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Tblsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
optional - 1/2 C chopped peanuts for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix well together the eggs, sugars, peanut butter, shortening, and vanilla. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix only until dough is smooth, don't over beat. Spread out evenly on two lightly greased jelly roll pans (15 1/2"x10 1/2"x1") or three (yes 3!) 13"x9"x2" pans. Sprinkle with peanuts if desired.
Bake for 25 minutes. Cut into 3" squares and cool in the pans on a rack.

Nancy

o

When I was in grammar school, we had a dessert that was peanut butter, cornflakes & corn syrup. Don't remember any of the other ingredients or if there were any. They were so gooooood!

o
RE: LOOKING for: Old School Recipe Peanut Butter Cornflake Cooki

I found the recipe that I remember.

1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
6 cups cornflakes

Bring sugar & corn syrup to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat, add peanut butter, stir until dissolved. Add cornflakes. Drop on waxed paper.

o

Here's the one we had:

PEANUT BUTTER CANDY

3/4 c. powdered milk
1/2 c. honey
3/4 c. peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix peanut butter, honey and vanilla. Blend in powdered milk, using hands when mixture becomes stiff. Pat into 8-inch square baking pan. Chill. Cut into squares.

o

This is my son's favorite:
Cindy's Peanut Butter Cups
Melt 2 sticks butter
Add:
1c peanut butter
3 1/2c powdered sugar
2c graham cracker crumbs
Mix well and press into a 9x13" pan.
Melt 12 oz chocolate chips and spread over the top.
Chill til set.

o

I actually got this from one of the lunch ladies at the cafeteria when I was in grade school back in the 60's. One of the first things I ever learned how to "cook". Mom had to drop me at school early to get to work. I'd hang out in the kitchen and the gals would put me to work "helping" until it was time for school to start. May be what instilled my love of cooking. Bless their hearts!

Peanut Butter Brownies

1 cup peanut butter
2/3 cup margarine or butter
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
4 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Chocolate Frosting
Grease 9x13 pan. Mix peanut butter & margarine till creamy. Gradually add sugars, beating until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well mixed. Set aside. In another bowl, stir together flower, baking powder and salt. Gradually stir flour mixture into peanut butter mixture until well blended. Bake at 350 ° for 35 to 40 minutes. (Until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.)
Cool and frost with chocolate frosting. (I use the ready-made frosting found in the cake section of the store.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here