Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntsis566

LOOKING for: Old School Recipe

auntsis566
15 years ago

My father attended school during the 1950s. He often speaks of a dessert that was served and how he would like to have it again. It was a peanut butter square. I think it was something like peanut butter fudge, maybe. If anyone has this recipe or remembers eating it, I would really like to hear from you.

Comments (10)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

You really need to give more info. Was it layered? Was there chocolate in it? Does he remember the exact name? Did it have a topping?

• auntsis566
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really don't have any other information. It was not layered, it did not have chocolate, and he does not know the name. Maybe someone else will recognize it.

• nancyofnc
    15 years ago

I don't think you are looking for peanut butter fudge because that would be too time consuming for a school's cook to make in large quantities.

Perhaps you are thinking of Peanut Butter Squares? The one I have is from a cookie cookbook from 1971. Since it makes a huge amount it may have been originally developed for institutional baking and, given the simple preparation method, it would be likely. These have the consistency of a chewy brownie, not like a cake brownie. I do remember making them in the late '70's for a grade-school party and all the kids loved them but I haven't made them since. Nowadays everything has to be peanut-free because there are so many children/people who are allergic to peanuts.

Peanut Butter Squares
    from 1971 Farm Journal "Homemade Cookies"

Makes about 8 dozen squares (that's 96 pieces!)

6 eggs
    3 C granulated sugar
    1 1/2 C brown sugar, packed
    1 C peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
    1/2 C shortening
    1 Tblsp. vanilla
    4 C all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 Tblsp. baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    optional - 1/2 C chopped peanuts for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix well together the eggs, sugars, peanut butter, shortening, and vanilla. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix only until dough is smooth, don't over beat. Spread out evenly on two lightly greased jelly roll pans (15 1/2"x10 1/2"x1") or three (yes 3!) 13"x9"x2" pans. Sprinkle with peanuts if desired.
    Bake for 25 minutes. Cut into 3" squares and cool in the pans on a rack.

Nancy

• willeneg
    15 years ago

When I was in grammar school, we had a dessert that was peanut butter, cornflakes & corn syrup. Don't remember any of the other ingredients or if there were any. They were so gooooood!

• willeneg
    15 years ago

I found the recipe that I remember.

1 cup sugar
    1 cup light corn syrup
    1 1/2 cups peanut butter
    6 cups cornflakes

Bring sugar & corn syrup to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat, add peanut butter, stir until dissolved. Add cornflakes. Drop on waxed paper.

• roselin32
    15 years ago

This is my son's favorite:
    Cindy's Peanut Butter Cups
    Melt 2 sticks butter
    Add:
    1c peanut butter
    3 1/2c powdered sugar
    2c graham cracker crumbs
    Mix well and press into a 9x13" pan.
    Melt 12 oz chocolate chips and spread over the top.
    Chill til set.

• angelaid
    15 years ago

I actually got this from one of the lunch ladies at the cafeteria when I was in grade school back in the 60's. One of the first things I ever learned how to "cook". Mom had to drop me at school early to get to work. I'd hang out in the kitchen and the gals would put me to work "helping" until it was time for school to start. May be what instilled my love of cooking. Bless their hearts!

Peanut Butter Brownies

1 cup peanut butter
    2/3 cup margarine or butter
    1 1/3 cup sugar
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    4 eggs
    2 cups flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    Chocolate Frosting
    Grease 9x13 pan. Mix peanut butter & margarine till creamy. Gradually add sugars, beating until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well mixed. Set aside. In another bowl, stir together flower, baking powder and salt. Gradually stir flour mixture into peanut butter mixture until well blended. Bake at 350 ð for 35 to 40 minutes. (Until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.)
    Cool and frost with chocolate frosting. (I use the ready-made frosting found in the cake section of the store.)

• Marianne
    6 years ago

I realize that this is years after you asked for this recipe, I have also been searching for the recipe of the peanut butter treats we used to get on our plate when we purchased hot lunch in the school cafeteria during the 1960's..... ha ha... I distinctly remember the lunch lady telling me they had peanut butter and honey in them, I think this is the closest recipe to the ones we used to have, they had NO chocolate, NO nuts, No oatmeal etc they were smooth peanut butter and NOT baked, they were refrigerated...so here goes the recipe that I found and it is as close at it gets, please let me know if you see this and if they are the ones your daddy wanted!?

1 Cup powdered sugar

1 3/4 Cup powdered milk ( not made into milk with water )

1 Cup honey

1 teas real vanilla ( NOT imitation )

1 Cup peanut butter ( Skippy smooth is really good )

Mix together with hand or by mixer, when mixed well, separate into half and make two logs, wrap and refrigerate the logs until cooled, ( approx 1 hour"ish" )

when cooled, unwrap, remove plastic wrap, and slice into ii 1/4 to 1/2" slices and dip each piece into powdered sugar, layout on plate and serve.

I hope this is the one you were looking for! good luck!

• HU-334079256
    2 years ago

There is a delicious recipe for The Famous School Cafeteria peanut butter bars on Pinterest. When I made them, they did not disappoint and reminded me of the ones we had in school!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH