Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shirleywny5

LOOKING for: Very Gooey Sticky Buns

shirleywny5
15 years ago

I don't need a recipe for the dough or filling part, just a formula for a gooey bottom for my Sticky Buns. Sometimes I get it perfect and other times it's like hard candy. Maybe I should measure.

Comments (6)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Here's the one I use from a recipe for Gooey Buns.
    SYRUP
    12 TBL (1 1/2 sticks) butter
    1 3/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
    3 TBL half-and-half
    1 3/4 cups chopped pecans

In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar & half-and-half; bring to a simmer. Cover the surface of two 9x13" pans with this syrup. Sprinkle evenly w/pecans.

My recipe calls for the buns to be baked in a preheated 350° oven for 20-25 minutes & while the buns are still hot, loosen the edges with a knife & invert each pan over a platter. Let the pan stay in place for a minute or 2 before removing.~~

• shirleywny5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ginger, Thanks, I bake and flip the same as you. The problem must be in my not measuring. From now on I will measure exact. I like your formula as it makes 2 large pans of buns.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

My recipe is at the cottage but it is butter, brown sugar and corn syrup...very gooey and very good! I'm told I should sell them dockside! LOL

I'll post quantities when I am up there this weekend.

• annova914
    15 years ago

Ginger - if you have time, I'd like to have your recipe for the buns. This sounds wonderful! Thanks. Ann

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

In my restaurant, my gal who opened up each morning made my buns. They were made the afternoon before, then in fridge all night, out for 35 min before baking each morning. She used to put 1 or 2 sticks of butter in the oblong baking pan,melted in the oven, remove & sprinkle brown sugar, the chopped pecans & maple syrup in the butter then place the buns on top of the mixture, then bake. Loved them w/the syrup as it created some thick juice to serve w/each bun.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Sure, Ann. It's much easier than it looks:
    GOOEY BUNS
    Dough:
    1 pkg active dry yeast
    1/4 cup + 2 TBL sugar
    1/4 cup warm water (105-110°)
    1 TBL salt
    2 cups hot water
    1/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    5 1/2 to 6 cups flour

Dissolve the yeast & 2 TBL of the sugar in the warm water. Allow to stand 5 minutes. Meanwhile, dissolve the salt & 1/4 cup sugar in the hot water. Add th shortening & mix until the shortening is melted. Add the egg, 2 cups flour & the yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Add 2 more cups flour, working the dough until moistened. Add the remaining 1 1/2 to 2 cups flour & work the dough until smooth. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat all sides. Cover tightly w/plastic wrap & let rise in the refrigerator overnight.

Syrup:
    12 TBL (1 1/2 sticks) butter
    1 3/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
    3 TBL half-and-half
    1 3/4 cups chopped pecans

In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar & half-and-half; bring to a simmer. Cover the surface of two 9x13" pans with this syrup. Sprinkle evenly w/pecans.
    Remove the dough from the refrigerator; divide in 1/2. On a floured surface, roll each dough half into a 12x8" rectangle.

Filling:
    12 TBL (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup ground cinnamon

Spread the dough w/the melted butter. Combine the granulated sugar & cinnamon; sprinkle over the dough. Starting from a long sidee, roll each rectangle jelly roll style. Pinch the outside edge to the main body of the dough. Slice into 1" pieces. Place the slices cut side down in the prepared pans, leaving space between for expansion. Cover with a kitchen towel (not terrycloth) & let rise until doubled in size, 1 hour or longer. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 20-25 minutes. While the buns are still hot, loosen the edges with a knife & invert each pan over a serving platter. Allow the pan to stay in place for a minute or 2 before removing.~~A Cleveland Collection