Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlad

RECIPE: Progressive Dinner July 19

gardenlad
16 years ago

This will be the final week of this cycle. So all you lurkers who are reading about these virtually progressive dinners have a chance to join in when we start over.

Just let us know that you want to play.

This week's assignments:

Appetizer: Shelley

1st Course: Annie

Soup: woodie

Salad: Wizard

Entree: Dances

Side 1: Meredith

Side 2: Katiec

Dessert: Gardenlad

Comments (13)

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I've really enjoyed this. I think I should give up my seat to someone else...it's a really busy time of year for me.
    I'll check in each week though... I love the menu's with recipes.

Thanks Joe for keeping this organized.

Nancy

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry to hear that, Nancy.

The way folks keep dropping out, I'm wondering if we shouldn't just put the project on hold until the fall. What say you all?

And--again---who's Joe?

• dances_in_garden
    16 years ago

I have been dying for a good plate of spaghetti and meatsauce. Well, spaghetti and meatballs actually but I am too lazy to make those ROFL.

Dances' Spaghetti Bolognese

1 can tomato sauce (or 3 cups homemade tomato sauce)
    1/2 pound extra lean ground beef or 1 package Yves veggie ground round
    1 tbsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 can sliced mushrooms, drained well (or use fresh, cut into quarters)
    Italian seasoning blend, to taste
    2 tbsp wine (red is best, white is fine)
    1 tsp paprika
    Salt and pepper to taste

Brown your ground beef until it is cooked through. If using the crumbles, follow package directions. Add the onion and garlic powder, italian seasoning (a good sprinkle), paprika, and a bit of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Stir around to combine and heat the spices a bit. Any liquids from the meat will be absorbed.

Add the wine, and allow it to steam off. Stir in the mushrooms (if using canned, make sure they are drained well or your sauce will be watery).

Add the tomato sauce. Stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until flavours are blended and mushrooms are cooked (if using fresh). This can be anywhere from 10 minutes - until the water boils and the spaghetti cooks - to an hour. Stir occasionally to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom.

Serve over spaghetti or penne (or your favourite pasta shape) cooked al-dente. I like mine with a liberal sprinkle of ROMANO cheese and an extra grind of pepper.

This should be enough to coat four servings of spaghetti, not swimming in sauce mind you! For a LOT of sauce or leftovers, or to use for lasanga, double or triple the above. Or simply add more tomato sauce and season to taste. Makes a great meat stretcher!

You can make this for sure with fresh onion and garlic, and add green pepper as well (this is how we made it growing up but if DH or DD got an onion or green pepper piece they would likely perish). Just add them to the meat before the spices and allow to saute/steam for a bit before continuing.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

(GardenLad: 'Joe' is 'GardenGuru' on the CF)

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Sorry about that GardenLad...I get names mixed up at times.

I'd be happy to participate again in the fall.

Nancy

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"(GardenLad: 'Joe' is 'GardenGuru' on the CF)"

I see. And I would know this how, Jessica?

• annie1992
    16 years ago

OK, everyone is talking about zucchini blossoms this time of year, so I get a chance to use them as a first course:

Fried Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms
    Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 to 1 1/8 cups chilled seltzer or club soda
    16 zucchini blossoms, pistils removed if desired
    16 2-by 1/2-by 1/4-inch mozzarella sticks (about 4 ounces)
    16 flat anchovy fillets (from a 2-ounce can), drained and patted dry
    Vegetable oil for deep-frying

Mix flour, salt and 1 cup seltzer water, let batter stand 10 minutes. If necessary, thin batter with enough
    remaining seltzer to reach consistency of crepe batter.

Stuff each blossom with 1 mozzarella stick and 1 anchovy fillet, pressing ends of blossoms closed.

In a deep heavy skillet heat 1 inch oil to 375 degrees on a deep-fat thermometer. Working quickly in batches, dip blossoms in batter, coating each completely, and fry in hot oil, turning, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until golden and crisp. With a slotted spoon transfer blossoms as fried to paper towels to drain. (Make sure oil returns to 375 degrees before adding each new batch.)

Sprinkle blossoms with salt to taste and serve warm.

Annie

• jessyf
    16 years ago

GL: I didn't expect you to know, but you asked, so I was trying to be helpful. Sorry.

• mhlemay
    16 years ago

Lemon/Lime and Cottage Cheese Congealed Salad

1 small package lemon jello
    1 small package lime jello
    2 c. hot water & 1 cup cold
    1 c. milk
    1/2 c. mayonnaise
    1 med. can crushed pineapple with juice
    1 small container cottage cheese
    chopped pecans

Dissolve jello in hot water. Add cold water and milk. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and chill in refrigerator.

• woodie
    16 years ago

I am out of town visiting our littlest (7 months old) granddaughter and I brought a favorite recipe along with me since I knew I'd have the soup course this week. Not knowing what the rest of the menu would bring, I just took a chance and brought this nice summertime cold soup recipe (which I plan to make tomorrow night when we're having crab cakes for dinner). I'm honestly not positive that I would have chosen this to go along with a spaghetti dinner, but its really tasty and as a soup course, pretty far removed from the pasta and bolognese part of the dinner!

GL I think it could be a good idea to give the progressive dinners a rest. Traditionally the cooking and recipe forums slow down in the summer and pick up again when the weather turns colder with thoughts of fall and winter foods.

TYLER FLORENCE'S WATERMELON GAZPACHO

Prep time 20 minutes
    Serves 6

6 large tomatoes, chopped
    8 ounces fresh watermelon, seeded and cubed
    1 serrano chili
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons red onion, minced
    1 cucumber, seeded and minced
    2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced, plus more for garnish
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Puree tomatoes, watermelon, and chili in a blender
    Add vinegar and olive oil, pulse
    Fold in onion, cucumber and dill
    Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste
    Pour into shot glasses (or small bowls) and garnish with extra dill and feta
    Serve at room temperature

• KatieC
    16 years ago

My first thought was garlic bread, but this is a little different. Years ago a pasta/pizza place in town served this and I got the 'recipe' from one of the servers.

Aardvark's Onion Bread

Mix equal amounts mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese with a handful of dried onions and a dash of Worcestershire. Let sit a few minutes then spread liberally on French roll halves and broil until golden and bubbly.

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, it seems like we're all doing comfort food this week. And who am I to swim against the tide? So, for dessert, let's go with a simple

Rice Pudding

2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 cups steamed rice
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/4 cups milk
    handful of raisins
    Dash nutmeg

Separate the eggs. Beat the yolks. Add the sugar, salt, milk, vanilla, rice and raisins. Stiffly beat the egg whites and fold into mixture. Turn into a baking dish. Sprinklw with nutmeg. Bake in a moderate oven (350F) about 45 minutes.

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

For starters how about a nice crab dip with cilantro

2 7oz tins good quality crab
    1 shallot minced
    1 clove garlic minced
    2 hard boiled eggs chopped
    1 tbsp dijon mustard
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tsp horseradish
    1/2 c mayo
    1/2 c low fat yogurt
    fresh ground pepper
    dash tobassco
    1/2 c chopped herbs(cilantro, parsley and green onions)
    paprika as garnish

Mix all except paprika in a bowl. Add more mayo or d yogurt if too thick. Put in a serving dish and dust with paprika. Serve with chips, breadsticks, pita chips or crackers.

Shelley