Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: 5 Hour Stew

Posted by kathyg_in_mi (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 15:09

I used to have a recipe for this. It cooked in the oven at a low temp for 5 hours and was delicious.
I remember you would cut up your meat and toss it in flour, salt and pepper. Don't remember if I then browned it, probably did. Then added vegetables and ?. Covered and tossed in the oven for 5 hours.
Kathy G in MI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: 5 Hour Stew

This type of stew goes under several different names, I think - Lazy Day Stew, No Peek Casserole, etc.

Here is one version:

No Peek Casserole
2 lbs beef stew ( inch pieces)
1 package of onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can whole mushrooms (drained)
cup of sherry wine.(red)

Mix thoroughly and place in a covered dish at 300 for 3 hrs. Serve over rice or noodles.

And another:
No Peek Casserole

2 lbs stew meat ( i use 3 lbs)
1 can Campbell's Chicken Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup Gingerale
1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 4 oz jar mushrooms, drained (optional)

Preheat oven to 300. Comebine ALL ingredients (DO NOT brown meat and DO NOT dilute soup with water) together. Mix well. It will be lumpy before it's cooked. Pour into a casserole dish and cover. Bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours. DON't PEEK!! Serve over pasta, rice or mashed potatoes. The smell as it's cooking is WONDERFUL

o

Here's another that cooks for 5 hours.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 Hour Stew

o

Thanks guys, but the one I used to make didn't use any soup. It may be the one like Ginger found, but using stewed tomatoes in place of the soup and Kitchen Bouquet rather than worcestershire sauce.
Kathy G in MI

o

My favorite stew recipe is Marcia Adam's Cooking From Quilt Country version with a slight variation. I don't have the exact recipe I use but it was essentially sub things I had for what I didn't have. Made a fabulous gravy.

I tried to find it online but since her death her website has been taken down and it's getting hard to find but I found one that said it's a variation. Her original recipe said to use a slow cooker but this one says oven cook for 5 hours. I think I used beer instead of water and I would use the slow cooker or Nesco but the oven would be fine.

I'll try to dig out the original recipe and post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Beef Stew

o

2 lbs of cubed beef
3 carrots sliced
2 sticks celery
1 large onion sliced
enough potatoe's for 2 or three people cubed into large pieces
1 can tomatoes
1 slice of bread crust removed chopped
1 tbs tapioca thickens gravy
beef stock 1 cup.
Salt and pepper and any other spices you like.

Put in one pot cover tight and cook at 250 for 5 hrs,
This is the best recipe for 5 hr stew. yum yum with french bread and butter.
It will make a lot more juice as it cooks....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here