Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kygirl99

LOOKING for: Tomato Soup like Vons/Safeway's Tuscan Tomato Bisqu

kygirl99
16 years ago

Does anyone have a similar recipe to the delicious Tuscan Tomato Bisque that they sell at Von's and Safeway? I don't live in an area with those two stores any longer and now that I'm pregnant I've been craving that soup!

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Here's a light version. To make it richer you could use regular half-and-half instead of the substitution they give.

Here is a link that might be useful: Safeway Tuscan Tomato Bisque

• cagramma
    15 years ago

I, too am a great fan of this Signature Soup and tried this recipe and it is right on. Very good and makes about 4+ containers of what you buy at the store, so quite a savings. I used a hand held blender right in the pan and the only thing different was I baked the butternut squash (cut side down) until fork tender and scraped out the squash. Baking butternut squash makes it sweeter. Another little trick is to freeze your basil after washing for about an hour, then chopping it is a breeze, work fast.
    Bon appetite!

• MikenGina
    11 years ago

Tuscan Tomato Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 cup onion, diced
    1 teaspoon garlic, minced
    1 cup crushed tomatoes
    1 cup tomatoes, diced
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 cup spinach, chopped
    1/4 cup red wine
    1 Tablespoon basil
    1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
    2 ounces prosciutto, diced, NOT sliced
    1/4 cup parsley, minced
    Romano cheese, grated

Method

Heat oil in a heavy soup pot or large sauce pan. Stir in onion and garlic and cook until softened, but not browned. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, broth, spinach, wine and herbs. Bring to a boil. When boiling, lower heat immediately to cook at a simmer for 35 minutes. Add prosciutto and simmer 10 minutes longer.

Serve with garnish of minced parsley and a bowl of Romano cheese on the side. Romano is preferable to Parmigiano in this soup as it is slightly sharper.

• blueheron
    11 years ago

Taste of Home has the most delicious Tomato Bisque Soup recipe. Our church has made it for our Lenten Lunches and it is always a hit.

• MikenGina
    11 years ago

Here is the Taste of Home recipe:

Ingredients

2 cups water
    4 chicken bouillon cubes
    1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    2 tablespoons chopped onion
    2 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced
    1/4 cup butter, cubed
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups half-and-half cream
    1/3 to 1/2 cup sherry, optional

Directions

In a large saucepan, bring first five ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool.
    Puree mixture in a food processor or blender; set aside. In the same saucepan, saute fresh tomatoes in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in flour to make a smooth paste. Gradually add cream and stir over low heat until thickened. Stir in pureed mixture and sherry if desired. Yield: about 8 servings (2 quarts).

Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 cup) equals 169 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 721 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz