Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mammajo_gw

recipe: iso: other easy recipes like cake balls

mammajo
15 years ago

I have the cake ball and oreo ball recipes. Do any of you have any similar recipes?

TIA

Jo

Comments (19)

• lisbet
    15 years ago

Din't know there was such'a thing (until I "googled" as a result of "mammajo's" post).

Wouldn't they be terribly (cloyingly) sweet??? :-)

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

The lady that cleans my house brought me some of her cake balls and they were so sweet we couldn't eat them.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

I don't know why they would be any sweeter than eating a regular boxed cake mix made as directed with frosting. I will probably give them a try - I bet my kids will love them!

Alexa

• woodie
    15 years ago

I bet my granddaughters will love them too - I think I'll give them a try next week when they're here. They're like their mother who knows that chocolate is a food group! (I've never heard of cake balls before!)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I had never heard of them either but allrecipes has one that has
    260+ 4.5 star reviews.

Here is a recipe from allrecipes for any other clueless cooks.

* 1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
    * 1 (16 ounce) container prepared chocolate frosting
    * 1 (3 ounce) bar chocolate flavored confectioners coating

DIRECTIONS

1. Prepare the cake mix according to package directions using any of the recommended pan sizes. When cake is done, crumble while warm into a large bowl, and stir in the frosting until well blended.
    2. Melt chocolate coating in a glass bowl in the microwave, or in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.
    3. Use a melon baller or small scoop to form balls of the chocolate cake mixture. Dip the balls in chocolate using a toothpick or fork to hold them. Place on waxed paper to set.

Offhand, I think the popular strawberry cake - with strawberries and pecans and then mixed with the frosting would be good with a simple glaze and rolled in coconut.

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

Here's one for the grownups:

DOUBLE DELIGHT BOURBON BALLS Â makes about 2 1/2 dozen

1 package (6 oz.) semisweet chocolate bits or chopped semisweet chocolate
    3 Tbs. corn syrup
    1/2 cup bourbon
    1 package (8 oz.) chocolate wafers, crushed
    1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
    1/2 cup confectioners sugar
    1/3 cup finely chopped candied red cherries
    Granulated white sugar

Gently melt chocolate in double boiler over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in syrup and bourbon; cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, mix wafers, nuts, 4X sugar and cherries in a large bowl. Add the chocolate mixture and stir to blend.

Let stand for 30 minutes. Shape into 1-inch balls with fingers. Roll in sugar, then refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve or pack for gift giving.

Place each in a small paper candy cup.

• blizlady
    15 years ago

I'm still doing a search for other types of cake & cookie balls, but I found this blog with a red velvet cake ball with cream cheese frosting mixed in. Great pictures too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Velvet Cake Balls

• blizlady
    15 years ago

Here is a recipe similar to the oreo truffles, but using nutter butter cookies. I also posted the oreo truffles in case somebody hasn't seen it yet. These were found at a blog called Bakerella:

Nutter Butter Cookie Truffles

1 Bag Nutter Butter Cookies
    8 oz softened cream cheese
    1 package Chocolate Bark (dipping chocolate in blocks)
    1 square of the Almond Bark for drizzling (white chocolate blocks for dipping)

1. Mix ground oreos and cream cheese until well combined. Roll into 1 inch balls and place onto baking sheet or tray. Refrigerate overnight or until very firm.
    2. Melt white chocolate according to package directions. Using 2 little spoons, dip balls into chocolate and place onto parchment paper to harden. Once dry, melt square of almond bark and spoon into the corner of a ziplock baggie. Snip the corner of the baggie and drizzle chocolate back and forth over the truffles. Let dry.
    3. I enjoyed mine chilled in the refrigerator, but may be room temperature as well.

Oreo Cookie Truffles

1 bag Oreo Cookies, ground in blender or food processor (filling and all)
    8 oz softened cream cheese
    1 package Almond Bark (white chocolate candy coating)
    1 square of the Chocolate Bark for drizzling

1. Mix ground oreos and cream cheese until well combined. Roll into 1 inch balls and place onto baking sheet or tray. Refrigerate overnight or until very firm.
    2. Melt white chocolate according to package directions. Using 2 little spoons, dip balls into chocolate and place onto parchment paper to harden. Once dry, melt chocolate bark and spoon into the corner of a ziplock baggie. Snip a small corner and drizzle back and forth over the truffles. Let dry.
    3. I enjoyed mine chilled in the refrigerator, but may be room temperature as well! Enjoy! Thanks for the great recipe Bakerella!

• blizlady
    15 years ago

How about cheesecake pops. The link to this particular blog has a recipe for homemade cheesecake and the directions on how to form the pops, but a store bought cheesecake can be used instead of making your own if you want a short cut.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/jmomblogs/Foods/DB2-CheesePops7.jpg[/img]

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheesecake Pops

• blizlady
    15 years ago

Sorry, 'm not sure how to post an image.

• blizlady
    15 years ago

How about rum balls made with oreo cookies (found at Chowhound):

Midnight Rum Balls

1 small package (8.5 oz.) Oreo cookies
    1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
    1 cup finely chopped nuts (optional - I leave 'em out)
    3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (sweetened cocoa is fine, too)
    2 Tbsp corn syrup
    1/3 cup rum (don't use more!)
    granulated sugar

Put whole cookies in food processor and whiz until finely crushed. In medium bowl, combine crumbs, powdered sugar, nuts, and cocoa. Blend in corn syrup and rum. Wet hands and shape mixture into one-inch balls; roll in granulated sugar. Store covered, in a cool place. (Rum balls are better after they have "mellowed" for a day or two.)

Variation:
    Prepare marinated cherries: soak a jar of sour cherries in rum or kirsch for a week or two. When ready to use, drain cherries well, then pat dry. Wrap mixture around a cherry and roll in sugar as above.

I've also made these cookies with a different alcohol - Chambord (black raspberry liqueur) is really nice. I'll bet an orange liqueur would be good, too.

• blizlady
    15 years ago

Here is another version of a rum ball using a cake mix (found at recipelink):

Fudge Rum Balls

1 package Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Fudge Cake Mix
    1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
    1 tablespoon (or more!) rum or rum extract
    2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
    Pecans or walnuts, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease and flour 13x9x2 inch pan.

Prepare, bake and cool cake following package directions.

Crumble cake into large bowl. Stir with fork until crumbs are fine and uniform in size.

Add 1 cup nuts, rum, confectioners sugar and cocoa. Stir until well blended.

Shape heaping tablespoonfuls mixture into balls.

Garnish by rolling balls in finely chopped nuts. Press firmly to adhere nuts to balls.

• ysop1016
    15 years ago

Blizlady,
    Is that the 1 LB. 2 oz. size bag of Oreos?
    TIA
    I've made the cheesecake lollipops with homemade cheesecake and with Sara Lee's. Both were great.

• benflower
    15 years ago

WOW! I never heard of "cake balls" before-- but these look wonderful. Thanks for the recipes. These look great for Holidays. Will definitely try. Has anyone ever used the "dipper" ( a spoon-like device with no bowl) to coat these in chocolate. I've never seen one, but thought I would check the craft stores ( Michael's).

• lindasc
    15 years ago

I have been making the Oreo Truffles or several years and started making the Red Velvet Bon Bons a couple of years ago and they are great. I have made so many around the holidays until I feel like a ball myself.

• mammajo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've tried these cake balls: German Chocolate (the best) french vanilla with cream cheese frosting (ok), tiramisu (?sp) pretty good, but I'm not really to fond of them. The center is just to gooey.

• livvyandbella
    15 years ago

red vevet bon bons? Those sound good. Could you post please.
    Barb

• lindasc
    15 years ago

Barb here is the recipe.
    Red Velvet Bon Bons
    1 box red velvet cake mix
    Cook according to box instructions
    Cook in a sheet pan-I use a 9 x 13 pan
    Do not over cook
    Stir up with a fork until it is real fine
    Let cool
    Add one container Cream Cheese Icing
    Mix throughly and roll into small balls
    (this step gets messy)
    Put on a pan and refrigerate (may be left overnight)
    Melt chocolate coating and dip ball and
    put on parchment paper.

I have ground up pecans and added to the mixture.
    These are really moist.Everyone tries to figure out
    how to make them but I don't tell. So now it is out
    but not to my friends.

• lindasc
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention to just take a few balls out the refrigerator at a time to before coating in chocolate.