Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margad_gw

LOOKING for: Summer casserole

margad
16 years ago

I am looking for a recipe for an easy summer casserole that I can serve with a salad and some bread. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Comments (5)

• woodie
    16 years ago

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by a summer casserole - do you mean something with seasonal veggies such as zucchini and tomatoes? The only thing I could come up with right off the top of my head is veggie lasagna - this is a good recipe.

VEGETABLE LASAGNE

1 pound lasagne noodles, cooked and drained
    1 cup (4 oz.) shredded fontina cheese
    1 package (10 oz.) chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1 cup shredded zucchini
    3 cups part skim milk ricotta (divided)
    1 egg
    1 onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons oil
    2 tablespoons flour
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Mix together fontina, veggies, 2-1/2 cups of the ricotta and the egg.
    Place layer of noodles in 13 x 9 pan. Spread half of ricotta mixture. Repeat layers, ending with noodles on top.
    Cook and stir onion in oil under tender. Stir in flour and nutmeg. Stir in chicken broth and 1/2 cup ricotta. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Spoon over lasagna. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover and broil about 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.

8 servings

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

I saw one with fresh squash, sausage, etc that looked really good.

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

It's not exactly a casserole but quick to make, especially if you cut everything except the tomatoes up the night before or earlier in the day and store in baggies in the fridge. I usually serve it with brown rice or mashed potatoes.

SUMMER SKILLET SUPPER

1 (1 lb.) fully-cooked ham slice
    2 large tomatoes
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 medium size green pepper
    1 medium size onion
    1 medium size yellow squash (about 1/2 lb.)
    2 medium zucchini (about 1 lb. total)
    3 Tbs. olive oil
    1/2 cup chicken broth or 1 envelope instant chicken broth mixed with 1/2 cup water
    2 tsp.fresh chopped basil or 1/2 tsp. dried basil
    1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
    1/8 tsp. pepper

Cut ham into 1/4 inch strips, about 1-1/2 inches long. Cut each tomato into 8 wedges; cut pepper into 1/2 inch wide strips and onion into thin lengthwise slivers. Cut squashes into 1/4 inch wide slices, halving lengthwise if larger than 1 inch in diameter.

In wok or large skillet over medium high heat, cook ham and all vegetables, except tomatoes, in hot oil about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining ingredients, except tomatoes; stir and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Add tomato wedges and continue cooking until tomatoes are heated through.

• bdevild
    16 years ago

This one gets raves everytime I make it. It's also great for making the night before and taking to someone the next day - reheats well.

Squash Casserole (with variations; I add baby eggplant,zucchini, swiss chard, green pepper, etc.)
    3-4 medium yellow squash - quartered and sliced 1 inch thick
    1 sweet onion - chopped
    1 can mushroom soup
    1/2 can evaporated milk
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1 egg
    1 cup bread crumbs

Boil squash and onion (and other veggies if using) until tender. Drain and mash with a potato masher. Add soup, milk, 1/2 cheese, egg and 1/2 bread crumbs. Pour into greased casserole dish, cover with remaining cheese and bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until firm.

Enjoy!

• margad
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Those recipies sound great. Thank you

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer