Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wearybuilder

LOOKING for: fresh peaches & frozen blueberries...

wearybuilder
15 years ago

Hi all! I usually post over on the house side, but today I have a new dilemma, and I knew right where to turn!!

I need some ideas on desserts using fresh peaches and frozen blueberries. Nothing "too fancy" though, I have two little ones who don't like it so much when I get "carried away" with my cooking! LOL

Thanks a bunch! I am really looking forward to hearing about your favorites!

Comments (4)

• becky_ca
    15 years ago

Here's one of my family's favorites - serve it with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream while it's warm and I doubt that you'll get any complaints :-) I also like it because it doesn't make a huge pan full, which in a small family is a bonus.

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Batter Fruit Cobbler

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 T unsalted butter -- (1/2 stick)
    3/4 c. all-purpose flour
    3/4 c. plus 1 T. sugar
    1 t. baking powder
    1/4 t. salt
    3/4 milk
    2 c washed -- trimmed, cut up
    fruit ( not sweetened or thickened)

Preheat oven to 350. Put butter in an 8 or 9 " square or round pan. Set on lower-middle rack in oven to melt. (I use a glass 9" pie plate).

Whisk flour, 3/4 c. sugar, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Add milk; whisk until just incorporated into dry ingredients. Once melted, remove butter from oven. Pour batter into pan over butter (no need to stir at all) and arrange fruit over batter. Sprinkle with remaining 1 T. sugar. Bake until batter browns, 40 to 50 mins. Cool slightly and serve. It's great with freshly whipped cream or vanilla icecream.

Source:
    "www.homecooking.about.com - forum"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    NOTES : This is one of my favorite, tried and true, simple dessert recipes. It's from "The Perfect Recipe" by Pam Anderson of Cook's Illustrated fame. She adapted it from Nathalie Dupree.

This recipe is great because it's amazingly easy, quick and can be made with almost any fruit, fresh or frozen year round. If using frozen fruit you will need bake it 50 to 60 mins. IQF fruit (individually quick frozen) works, well especially blueberries, rhubarb and sour cherries. The latter two may require a bit more sugar. Avoid frozen peaches and bing cherries. Just snip the bag and pour. Don't thaw it out first. I've made this with apples, pears, (I added cinnamon) peaches and fresh blueberries mixed with strawberries I found strawberries to be too watery.

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

This is really good and you could easily sub thawed blueberries for the raspberries!
    I serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...MMMMMMM!

Peach Melba Crumble

2 c all purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp salt
    10 T butter, chilled and cut into cubes
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    3/4 c buttermilk
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    5 c sliced peaches (if using frozen, thaw first)
    1 c fresh raspberries
    1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray 9x13 baking pan with oooking spray.

Combine flour, sugar, salt & butter in work bowl of food processor. Process until mixture resembles corn meal. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture for topping.

Combine remaining flour mixture with baking powder, soda, buttermilk, egg and vanilla to form a smooth batter. Do not overmix. Spread batter into prepared pan, top with fruit. Add brown sugar to reserved flour mixture and mix well. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Coll or serve warm.

This one can use any fruit you have on hand. If it's just peaches and blueberries...so be it! Fruit Pizza Crust: 1\-1/2c flour 1/4c sugar 1/4c butter 1/4c cooking oil 3T cold water Mix and press into 11 inch circle on pizza pan. Bake 12\-14 minutes at 375F Sauce: 6oz cream cheese 1/4c sugar 1/2tsp vanilla Beat until smooth and spread on crust Strawberries, Kiwi, Grapes, Peaches, Pineapple, Blueberries, Raspberries, etc. Arrange your choice of fruits on top of sauce. Glaze: 1T cornstarch 1T water 1/4c fruit juice (any) 3T powdered sugar Whisk all ingredients together in small saucepan, bring to boil stirring constantly. Spread over fruit, chill well. Cut in wedges or squares to serve. Linda
  • mboston_gw
    15 years ago

This is not really a recipe as such but DH and I always eat fruit as a dessert for dinner. If you can find T.Marzetti Glaze for peaches (in the Produce section of our local store)then just cut up the peaches, add whatever other fresh fruit like strawberries, bananas, to the peaches and put just enough of the glaze on to moisten the fruit. I have added fresh blueberries as well before but never frozen. It is sweet but not like eating a cobbler. So good, makes me want some now.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I made a recipe similar to Becky's just the other night using fresh peaches and fresh blueberries. It was delicious and you can't get more simple than that!

For a small pie plate I used:

2 TB melted butter
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup self-rising flour
    1/2 cup milk
    1 1/2 cup sliced fresh peaches
    1/2 cup fresh blueberries
    2 TB sugar

Mix melted butter into 1/2 cup sugar, flour, milk. Stir to blend well. Pour into greased pie plate, place peaches and blueberries on top of batter, sprinkle with 2 TB sugar. Bake at 375F for approximately 45 minutes. Serve warm.
    Makes 2-3 servings.

You can double these amounts for more servings. Use a total of 3-4 cups fruit. Some recipes for this call for a full stick of butter - if you want it richer tasting.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022