Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paprikash

RECIPE: 'Almost' Home-Made Herb Bread

paprikash
13 years ago

Sometimes when garlic bread just doesn't "go" with my main course, I love to serve this bread. Thought I would share:

ANDREA'S "ALMOST" HOME-MADE HERB BREAD

1 large (bakery bought) Homestyle bread - UNSLICED

1 teaspoon flaked thyme

1 teaspoon flaked savory

1/2 pound salted butter - softened

Cream the herbs and butter together. I crush the herbs in my mortar and pestle a little first. Cut off crust on all sides of the bread except for the bottom. Cut bread in 1" thick slices but not all the way through (keep it joined at the bottom). Spread butter mixture on all sides of the bread in between the slices, including the top and sides like you are frosting a cake.

Place on a cookie sheet and bake for twenty minutes at 350°. Remove from oven, cut slices all the way through and in half if you wish and enjoy. (Leftovers, if any, are good the next day warmed in foil.)

NOTES : This can be prepared ahead of time. Refrigerate until the butter hardens, then cover with plastic wrap. When ready to bake, take out of fridge a half hour or so before you want to bake it and remove plastic wrap. Make sure the cookie sheet has sides -- some butter will melt on the pan. Recipe is so easy; the hardest part is finding the flaked savory (sometimes called summer savory). In Florida, I found it at Fresh Market; in Ohio, Penzey's Beachwood.