Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Eggplant Parmesean

Posted by sapphires (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 13:50

Hi Everyone,
I know I can search the web for a recipe but you all have the best ones. I would like your T&T Eggplant Parmesean recipe please. I have two eggplants is that enough for it? Thank you all so much.

Sapphires

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Eggplant Parmesean

EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA (serves 6-8)
1 cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup flour
2 medium eggplants, peeled & cut in 1/2" slices
29 oz can tomato sauce
12 oz can tomato paste
16 oz can tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup Burgundy wine or other red wine
1 tsp dried whole oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp garlic salt (I use a clove of garlic,minced)
10-16 slices mozzarella
Grated Parmesan

Heat oven to 350. Lightly oil a 13x9x2"baking dish. Combine the milk, egg & 1 TBL vegetable oil; gradually add the flour, beating until smooth. Heat 3-4 TBL oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Dip the eggplant slices, a few at a time into the batter & fry in hot oil until golden. (Make sure the oil is hot or the eggplant will soak up the oil.) Drain well on paper towels & set aside.
In a medium saucepan, combine the tomato sauce & paste, the drained tomatoes, wine & spices, mixing well. Simmer the sauce 10 minutes. Arrange 1/2 the eggplant slices in the prepared baking dish. Top with 1/2 the mozzarella. Spoon 1/2 the tomato mixture over the cheese. Repeat the layers. Top with Parmesan. Bake uncovered 30-40 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly. Allow to stand at room temperature 15 minutes; cut into squares to serve.~~Sooner Sampler

o
RE: LOOKING for: Eggplant Parmesean

I have made this twice now, and it disappeared both times!!

Title: GRILLED EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA

Description:

Grilling eggplant lends it a smoky flavor, and this fun, layered presentation gives a wintertime favorite a summer makeover

MY NOTE: I added grilled peppers to my eggplant stack for added flavor and crunch.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
1/2 ounce finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/4 cup)
4 small Italian eggplants (1/2 pound each)
16 thin slices whole-milk mozzarella (from a 1-lb block; not fresh) ( I used packaged shredded Mozzarella)

My addition:
1-2 Green or red peppers thickly sliced the long way and tossed in olive oil -- grilled along with the eggplant.

Directions:
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook garlic and red-pepper flakes, stirring, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and salt and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil and parmesan.

Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over moderate heat.

Trim 1/4 inch off 2 opposite long sides of each eggplant. Cut each eggplant lengthwise (in same direction as trimmed sides so each slice has skin just around edge) into 4 slices. Brush slices with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.

Grill eggplant, covered, turning over once, until tender, about 6 minutes total. Transfer to a work surface.

Spread top of each slice with about 1 tablespoon tomato sauce and top with a slice of mozzarella, then restack each eggplant. Transfer stacks to a shallow baking pan and grill, covered, just until cheese is melted, about 4 minutes.

Cooks' note:
Eggplant (brushed with 1/4 cup oil) can be roasted on a foil-lined large baking sheet in middle of a 450F oven, turning over once, 20 minutes. Top with sauce and cheese, then stack and bake 5 minutes more.

Gourmet
Quick Kitchen
June 2007

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here