Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sapphires_gw

LOOKING for: Eggplant Parmesean

sapphires
16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I know I can search the web for a recipe but you all have the best ones. I would like your T&T Eggplant Parmesean recipe please. I have two eggplants is that enough for it? Thank you all so much.

Sapphires

Comments (2)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA (serves 6-8)
    1 cup milk
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    1 cup flour
    2 medium eggplants, peeled & cut in 1/2" slices
    29 oz can tomato sauce
    12 oz can tomato paste
    16 oz can tomatoes, drained
    1/4 cup Burgundy wine or other red wine
    1 tsp dried whole oregano
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/4 tsp dried thyme
    1/4 tsp garlic salt (I use a clove of garlic,minced)
    10-16 slices mozzarella
    Grated Parmesan

Heat oven to 350°. Lightly oil a 13x9x2"baking dish. Combine the milk, egg & 1 TBL vegetable oil; gradually add the flour, beating until smooth. Heat 3-4 TBL oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Dip the eggplant slices, a few at a time into the batter & fry in hot oil until golden. (Make sure the oil is hot or the eggplant will soak up the oil.) Drain well on paper towels & set aside.
    In a medium saucepan, combine the tomato sauce & paste, the drained tomatoes, wine & spices, mixing well. Simmer the sauce 10 minutes. Arrange 1/2 the eggplant slices in the prepared baking dish. Top with 1/2 the mozzarella. Spoon 1/2 the tomato mixture over the cheese. Repeat the layers. Top with Parmesan. Bake uncovered 30-40 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly. Allow to stand at room temperature 15 minutes; cut into squares to serve.~~Sooner Sampler

• mamalou
    16 years ago

I have made this twice now, and it disappeared both times!!

Title: GRILLED EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA

Description:

Grilling eggplant lends it a smoky flavor, and this fun, layered presentation gives a wintertime favorite a summer makeover

MY NOTE: I added grilled peppers to my eggplant stack for added flavor and crunch.

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1/4 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
    1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
    1/2 ounce finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/4 cup)
    4 small Italian eggplants (1/2 pound each)
    16 thin slices whole-milk mozzarella (from a 1-lb block; not fresh) ( I used packaged shredded Mozzarella)

My addition:
    1-2 Green or red peppers thickly sliced the long way and tossed in olive oil -- grilled along with the eggplant.

Directions:
    Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook garlic and red-pepper flakes, stirring, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and salt and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil and parmesan.

Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over moderate heat.

Trim 1/4 inch off 2 opposite long sides of each eggplant. Cut each eggplant lengthwise (in same direction as trimmed sides so each slice has skin just around edge) into 4 slices. Brush slices with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.

Grill eggplant, covered, turning over once, until tender, about 6 minutes total. Transfer to a work surface.

Spread top of each slice with about 1 tablespoon tomato sauce and top with a slice of mozzarella, then restack each eggplant. Transfer stacks to a shallow baking pan and grill, covered, just until cheese is melted, about 4 minutes.

Cooks' note:
    Eggplant (brushed with 1/4 cup oil) can be roasted on a foil-lined large baking sheet in middle of a 450°F oven, turning over once, 20 minutes. Top with sauce and cheese, then stack and bake 5 minutes more.

Gourmet
    Quick Kitchen
    June 2007