Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla35_gw

LOOKING for: Hot German Potato Salad

carla35
15 years ago

Does anyone have a good recipe for a Hot German Potato Salad? And, what kind of patotoes would you recommend for this type of salad/casserole? Thanks.

Comments (6)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

I like this one:

ALICE'S HOT POTQATO SALAD (serves 10-12)
    15 medium-sized red skinned potatoes, unpeeled
    1 lb bacon, cut in small pieces
    4 bunches green onions, chopped
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Celery salt & seed to taste
    3/4 cup vinegar
    1/4 cup sugar
    3 eggs, well beaten

Boil the potatoes in their skkins in a covered saucepan until tender but don't let them get mushy. Cool. Dice the potatoes (I prefer them sliced) with the skins on & place in a large bowl.
    Fry the bacon until crisp, reserving 3/4 cup of the drippings. To the potatoes, add the bacon, onions, salt, pepper, celery salt & seed.
    When ready to serve, combine the vinegar, sugar, 3/4 cup water & the eggs in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Heat the reserved bacon drippings in a separate pan. Pour both over the potateos & stir gently. Serve warm.~~Nutbread & Nostalgia NOTE: You can prepare the potatoes ahead & add the hot dressing just before serving.

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

GERMAN POTATO SALAD

8 large potatoes
    2 stalks celery
    3 or more hard-boiled eggs
    1 medium onion, finely minced
    1 or 2 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley

Dressing:
    6 slices bacon
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1/ 4 tsp. pepper
    1/ 4 tsp. dry mustard
    1/ 2 cup vinegar
    1/ 2 cup water
    1 heaping tsp. cornstarch

Cook, drain, and cube potatoes. Add diced celery, hard-boiled eggs, onion , and parsley.

To make dressing: Saute and drain bacon. Thoroughly mix all other ingredients and add to bacon grease; cook until thick. Sprinkle crumbled bacon on potato mixture; add hot dressing and combine. Serve hot or chilled.

Note: This recipe is from one of my PA Dutch friends and they like very sweet dressings on salads. I only use 3/4 cup of sugar.

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

A nice variation on German Potato Salad recipes is to substitute part of the vinegar with the liquid from a jar of dill pickles.

• christinethern
    15 years ago

German Potato Salad (Deutscher kartoffelsalat)

Use New Potatos or Yukon Golds. Cook whole, peel, and slice or dice. (Leave skins on optional.)

8 slices bacon
    4 tsp salt
    3 Tbs flour
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    4 tsp chopped onion
    2/3 cup vinegar
    1/2 tsp crumbled whole
    rosemary leaves
    2/3 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 quarts cooked diced (I like them sliced) potatoes
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

Fry bacon until crisp. Removed from pan, drain and crumble. Add flour and onion to the bacon fat in the pan. Stir in vinegar, water, sugar, salt and spices. Cook until mixture is of medium thickness. Add to potatoes, parsley and cumbled bacon. Mix carefully to prevent mashing the pototoes. Serves 8 to 10.

This salad is always the first to go at gatherings and I get rave reviews! It's an authentic German recipe.

Recipe from German Village Cook Book, German Village Society, Inc. Columbus, Ohio. 1968.

Guten Appetit!

• shirleywny5
    15 years ago

This is my Grandma Schmitt's recipe handed down. She was born in Ulm, Germany in 1869.

German Potato Salad

8 cups sliced cooked potatoes
    1 cup cut up bacon
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup chopped onion
    2/3 cup vinegar
    2/3 cup sugar
    1-1/3 cup water
    3 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    3 Tbls. flour

Fry bacon and drain. Reserve bacon. Return 4 Tbls. fat to skillet. Add celery and onion and cook until soft. Add salt and flour and cook gently. Add sugar, vinegar, pepper and water. Bring to a slow boil. Add to cut up potatoes and reserved bacon.
    Place in casserole and bake 30 minutes at 350. A crock pot also works great for this. This recipe may be doubled.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor