Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Hot Weather Cool Suppers

Posted by annova914 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 5, 10 at 12:52

We're in for a week of even more hot weather and I'm ISO ideas for light suppers. We'e been enjoying layered salads, grilled chicken/burgers, etc., and tonight I'm making quesadillas using leftover grilled chicken and some veggies from the crisper along with fresh salsa. But this hot weather is sapping whatever creativity I ever had! What's everyone else doing to keep cool in the kitchen but still be able to serve nutritious meals at dinnertime? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Hot Weather Cool Suppers

My answer is grill almost everything but the salad!.
Grilled chicken an assortment of summer veggies like zucchini, onions, tomato and peppers tossed with oil and salt and pepper and a little balsamic vinegar in a folded up pan made from heavy duty foil. Wrap potatoes in foil and stick then on the grill too.
You have a delicious dinner and a cool kitchen.
Linda C

o

Try these delicious Hawaiian Sandwiches:

Ingredients

* 2 pkgs. Hawaiian rolls
* 1 lb. sliced deli ham
* 8 oz. Swiss cheese, sliced
Topping:
* 3/4 C. butter
* 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
* 1 1/2 Tbs. mustard
* 1 1/2 Tbs. poppy seeds

Directions

Cut each roll in half sandwich-style. Place bottoms in 9x13-inch baking pan. Top each with ham and cheese slices and the top half of each roll. Mix topping ingredients and pour over sandwiches. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 15-20 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaiian Sandwiches

o

Thanks for the good veggie grilling suggestions, and the recipe (I bet I can put those sandwiches, wrapped in foil, on the grill too :)

o

During the dog days of summer, everyone is looking for something light and cool to eat. In our house, we love cucumber avocado soup - a yummy chilled soup that also uses some of the cucumbers you may may be harvesting from your garden about now. We pair this soup with a smoked salmon plate. The recipe for both is at the attached link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light summer meal idea

o

I like a side dish of cold baked beans. My German mother used to take a can of baked beans (such as Bush's). Drain off excess liquid...add cidar vinegar, a small thinly sliced sweet onion, thinly sliced celery stalk. Some ground spices, such as a pinch of ground cloves, cumin, dash of hot sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley, hard cooked egg slices. Refrigerate so flavors can blend before serving.

Goes well with roasted hot dogs, hamburgers. Most any picnic fare.

I don't have any specific recipe that I go by....just do everything according to your taste buds.

o

half a cantaloupe with cottage cheese and crackers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here