Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Marinated Mostaccioli Salad

Posted by blizlady (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 12:36

A co-worker brought this to a recent pot luck lunch. It is a very refreshing summer pasta salad that can be made (or actually is best made) several days in advance:

MARINATED MOSTACCIOLI SALAD

1# box mostaccioli noodles. Cook according to package directions and drain. Mix with cup cooking oil.

In blender mix:
1 T salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 T dry parsley flakes
tsp. pepper
2 tsp. yellow prepared mustard
1 cups sugar
1 cups vinegar
Pour over noodles

Chop finely:
1 green pepper
1 medium onion
1 cucumber (peel & remove seeds)
Add to noodle mixture and stir.
Put in covered bowl and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
Stir twice a day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Marinated Mostaccioli Salad

What kind of vinegar did you use?

o

That sounds really good. I would suspect with that amount of sugar, you could use white vinegar, but red wine is my favorite for pasta salads.

o

That's almost exactly the same as my mostaccioli salad....I haven't amde it in years!
Use cider vinegar.....white vinegar will give it a "chemical" taste and if you use red wine vinegar the whole dish will take on a most unpleasant color!
I also put a fair amount of oregano in my mostaccioli salad.
Linda C

o

The coloring never looked bad to me. I think a little pinkish is better than brownish looking... plus it tastes better, IMHO! And, I'm not sure I could handle a cup and a half of cider vinegar in a recipe even with that much sugar! I usually only use a tablespoon or so of cider vinegar in most recipes, and cut it with other milder vinegars if/when needed. Wouldn't that much burn your mouth?

o

Most vinegars are made to a measured acidity....white vinegar to 10% and cider vinegar to 5%. Most red wine vinegars are also standardized to 5% but not all, some are less acedic.
No, cider vinegar won't burn your mouth, I think you are confusing it with white vinegar. Actually cider vinegar is one of the "milder" vinegars...outside of a 15 year old balsamic there's not much besides champagne vinegar that is "milder".
I suppose that if you only used a couple of tablespoons of red wine vinegar it wouldn't be very pink, but it might be awfully sweet...and with a whole pound of pasta wouldn't you need something to moisten it all, it would be pretty dry with just 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar 1 1/2 cups of sugar, some yellow mustard and a cucumber, pepper and an onion.
So you are saying you would put 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 2 T mustard and 2 T of red wine vinegar over 1 pound of cooked pasta with the veggies and 1/4 cup salad oil?
I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here