o
RECIPE: Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

Posted by pink_warm_mama_1 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 08 at 12:24

Has anyone ever heard of this cake?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

It was one of those things people made during WW II when fats were rationed. It was used as a substitute for Crisco or butter or margerine. During that period, people didn't bake much because butter, sugar margerine, crisco lard were all rationed. So people made do. This cake uses chocolate to hide the mayonaise, there is another recipe for a spice cake.
It's one of those recipes best forgotten, it was made when the proper ingredients weren't to be had....not because it tastes good....at best it's not too bad....better than no birthday cake at all!
Linda C

o

I tasted one a few years ago & it was really moist and good. I didn't get the recipe, though.

o

One of my Aunts used to make this for us and we loved it.
I still make it from time to time when I need a 9x13" cake but since there are only the two of us now, I make one that one of my patients gave me a number of years ago and it is a nice 8x8" cake.

o

It's my daughter's favorite cake and she asked for it every birthday (with 7-minute frosting). In fact, I made cupcakes with caramel icing at Thanksgiving.

o

Anyone have a recipe they care to share? Thank you.

o

Here's the recipe I use for a 2 layer or 9x13" pan.
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
2c all purpose flour
1 1/2c sugar
2/3c unsweetened cocoa
2 1/4c baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2c mayonnaise
1 1/2c water
2 tsp vanilla
Grease pan and sift together dry ingredients. Stir in mayo and slowly stir in water and vanilla until smooth and well blended.Pour into pan and bake in 350 preheated oven for about 35 minutes or til tests done.
RL`

o

I am looking for a receipe for chocolate mayonnaise cake.
It had cocoa and blackberry preserves in it. Frosting was a cooked caramel frosting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here