Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joann_fla

LOOKING for: Jalapeno poppers

JoAnn_Fla
15 years ago

I'm looking for a recipe that uses diced or chopped jalapeno's and not the whole pepper. What type of crumbs can be used for the coating? Thanks

Comments (13)

• lindac
    15 years ago

Where I live, jalapeno poppers are a whole jalapeno, stuffed with cheese then crumbed and deep fried.
    What is it you want to do with chopped jalapenos?
    I suppose you could mix the chopped peppers with bread crumbs and fry it all up....but then what would you do with it?
    Linda C

• JoAnn_Fla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The poppers I buy are from Snapps. They are all chopped up with the cheese and coated then fried. I don't want all that hot skin, just pieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: poppers

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

joann, I had chopped black olives with cheese, coated and then fried, the other week. Delicious. And served with ranch dressing for dipping.

Don't have the recipe though!

• lindac
    15 years ago

I have looked all over the web and every recipe I find for jalapeno poppers I find is pretty well as I described, the cheese may be different, some have bacon some don't some use whole egg some only egg white...but all are jalapenos either halved or whole, filled with cheese, breaded and fried.
    perhaps what you are want is called something else?
    linda C

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

Check this out and read the reviews!

Here is a link that might be useful: jalapeno bites

• JoAnn_Fla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Glenda, I knew someone would find it. They are called "bites" and not poppers....my mistake. I wonder which is the best coating for them. Flour, cornmeal, breadcrumbs,cornflakes, chips, or panko (I never tryed it) Anyone know?

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

The olive bites I had were panko breaded.

• JoAnn_Fla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just made some, I won't do it again, they melted all over. I fried some & baked some and both melted. I used corn meal and breadcrumbs. I guess I'll just buy them ready made. Oh, I used chedder cheese.

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

Sorry, I'm not the PRO like some here claim to be, but if you read the reviews, some said they melted, and stored in freezer before baking, and were successful.

Maybe THE PRO'S will have other suggestions. Sorry!

• lindac
    15 years ago

Glenda, I don't know of anyone posting here who is a professional cook, or if they are they don't mention it.
    I try to read and assess a recipe before recommending it.
    It seems obvious to me that mixing cream cheese, shredded chedder and egg yolk with a few chopped peppers, rolling in bread crumbs and baking would result in a runny mess.
    What you are trying to achieve probably could be attained by using a recipe for deep fried cheese and use hot pepper cheese.
    Sorry I don't have one to recommend, I have never made fried cheese.
    Linda C

• heyreub
    15 years ago

This may be close to what you are looking for.

Chilie Relleno Puffs*

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup butter -- room temp
    1 1/4 cups flour
    1 1/2 cups Monterey jack cheese -- shredded
    1 cup cheddar cheese -- shredded
    1 can diced green chiles
    1 jar jalapeno peppers
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Mix butter and flour in a mixer until blended. Add cheeses, green chilies, jalapenos, dry mustard, paprika and garlic powder, mix well. Roll dough into 3/4 inch balls, roll in Parmesan cheese. Place on a greased baking sheet and put in the freezer for about 30 minutes before baking. Bake in a 375º oven about 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Great served with hot sauce!

• JHorowitz517_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

It is a better idea to use cheddar and monterey jack cheese (why would they use parmesean, ick), and freeze them before cooking for about a half hour, and then deep fry them. This should work better than baking!

• notgardenlad
    15 years ago

This is the kind of dish that crys out to be deep fried rather than baked. Reason: Once you coat it (the specific breading is irrelevent) and chill it the hot oil (which should be at at least 350F) immediately causes the bite to form a hard crust, which contains the melting cheese.

Were it me, I would also use an egg wash. Make up your cheese/chopped jalapeno mixture. Shape into balls or logs. Roll in eggwash, then in the breading of your choice. Chill for at least a half hour (no need to freeze, btw, the fridge should work just fine), then deep fry a few at a time.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio