Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
june_2007

LOOKING for: Chicken

june_2007
16 years ago

I am looking for some good chicken recipies. Can be baked, broiled, boiled, fried etc.

Comments (13)

• bbq68
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like beer can chicken. 1/2 can beer (you could even use soda). I coat the outside of the chicken with whatever I'm in the mood for, like lemon pepper, coriander seed, dill weed etc. I also put some garlic and additional spices in the beer can. I use a store bought stand to hold the beer can, and then you slide the chicken over top. This can be done in the oven or on the grill. Usually takes an hour and a half or so. I put in a thermometer and cook until internal temp is 165 degrees. ENJOY!!!

• geri_7
    16 years ago

This is very easy and so delicious you will be tempted to 'drink' the juices from your plate!

Easy Gourmet Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup apricot jam
    1/3 cup capers + a little juice
    1/3 cup Spanish olives, drained and sliced
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup white wine
    1/3 cup chopped cilantro
    5 cloves garlic, minced

Salt and pepper chicken breasts and brown lightly in olive oil - about 4 minutes per side. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over chicken in a casserole dish. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
    Serves 4.

• obxgina
    16 years ago

I second the beer can chicken, I just made it for lunch and it was quick,easy and delicious. I had left over homemade basil pesto and rubbed the chicken inside and out. The only thing I'd say negatively is be careful with the timing. It cooked much faster than I expected! Enjoy Gina

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Marlen posted this a few years back - really good!

Indonesian Ginger Chicken

1 cup honey
    3/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup minced garlic (8 to 12 cloves)
    1/2 cup peeled and grated fresh ginger root
    2 (3 1/2 pound) chickens, quartered, with backs removed

Cook the honey, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger root in a small saucepan over low heat until the honey is melted. Arrange the chicken in 1 layer in a shallow baking pan, skin side down, and pour on the sauce. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover the pan, turn the chicken skin side up, and raise the temperature to 375 degrees F. Continue baking for 30 minutes or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh and the sauce is a rich, dark brown.
    Yield: 4 to 6 servings
    Copyright, 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All rights reserved

LEMON & ROSEMARY CHICKEN (serves 6)
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 1/2 tsp rosemary leaves, fresh or dried
    4 TBL olive oil
    1/3 cup dry white wine
    2/3 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup bread crumbs
    Parsley & lemon slices for garnish

Place chicken breasts between 2 piece of waxed paper. Pound each breast to 1/4" thickness with a mallet (or the bottom of a heavy saucepan.) Cut the flattened pieces into halves or thirds. Coat each piece w/bread crumbs.
    Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a 10" fry pan. When oil is hot, place 1/2 of the chicken pieces in oil in the pan & sprinkle 1/2 of the rosemary leaves over the chicken. Brown the chicken until a light golden brown. Remove & drain on a paper towel. Repeat with the other half of the chicken & rosemary leaves.
    Pour off excess oil from the pan, being careful not to remove the browned rosemary leaves & chicken left on the bottom of the pan. Return immediately to the heat & add lemon juice & wine to the pan. Stir with a whisk to loosen the leavings on the bottom of the pan. Cook over medium heat until the sauce is reduced by 1/3.
    Place the chicken on a platter & pour 1/3 of the sauce over the chicken pieces & serve the remaining in a pitcher on the side. Garnish w/lemon slices & parsley. Good served with rice or pasta.~~Of Tide & Thyme

BAKED LIME CHICKEN (serves 6)
    2-4 limes
    3 1/2 lbs broiler-fryer parts or breasts
    3 TBL butter
    1/4 cup flour
    1 1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    2 TBL brown sugar
    14 oz can chicken broth
    1 TBL grated lime zest

Preheat oven to 400. Grate lime zest. Squeeze 2 TBL lime juice & toss juice w/chicken pieces. In a 9x13" roasting pan, melt butter in oven. Mix flour, salt & pepper. Dip chicken pieces in flour & then dip in butter. Arrange chicken skin side down in pan.
    Mix lime zest & brown sugar & sprinkle over chicken.
    Pour broth & remaining lime juice into pan & bake uncovered for 50 minutes, basting occasionally. Use 1/2 can of broth for boneless breasts. Can add more lime juice if desired.~~

BAKED CHICKEN REUBEN
    8 small boneless chicken breasts
    16 oz can sauerkraut
    4 slices Swiss cheese
    8 oz Thousand Island salad dressing
    1 TBL chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 375°. In a 9x13" baking dish arrange chicken breasts in 1
    layer. Rinse sauerkraut & press out water. Cut cheese slices. Sprinkle
    sauerkraut on chicken breasts. Top w/dressing & cheese. Bake 40 minutes
    covered or until tender. Garnish w/parsley. ~~

CHICKEN TETRAZZINI (serves 6-8 )
    Three 2 lb chicken, cut up
    1 1/2 cups chopped celery tops
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 medium onion, sliced
    2 1/2 tsp salt
    5 TBL butter
    8 oz mushrooms, wiped, trimmed & sliced
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 cup heavy cream
    2 1/2 TBL dry sherry
    3-4 TBL sliced blanched almonds
    8 oz box egg noodles, boiled & drained
    3/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    5 TBL grated Parmesan

Place the chicken pieces in a large pan with the celery, parsley, onion, 2 tsp salt & 3 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat & simmer until tender. Remove the skin & bones from the chicken & cut the meat into bite-sized chunks. Strain & reserve the broth.~~
    Melt the butter in a large saucepan. When hot, add the mushrooms & saute 2 minutes. Stir in the flour, remaining 1/2 tsp of salt & the pepper. Gradually stir in 2 cups of the reserved broth along with the cream & cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add the chicken & sherry to the sauce. Add the almonds.
    Place the noodles in a greased shallow baking dish. Top with the chicken mixture. Sprinkle w/bread crumbs & cheese. Brown under the broiler.~~300 Years of Carolina Cooking

• woodie
    16 years ago

This is the second recipe from Linda that I've posted in the last few minutes - thanks Linda for passing along some recipes that have become my family's favorites!

LEBANESE CHICKEN

Posted by: Linda_inTennessee (My Page) on Tue, Nov 25, 03 at 17:53
    Thought you might like this recipe
    I love lemon taste in my food
    Yield: 4 servings

3/4 c Lemon juice
    8 large Garlic clove(s), minced
    2 tbs Thyme, minced or
    2 tsp Dried thyme
    1 tbs Paprika
    1 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
    3/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
    2 Chickens (3 lb ea)
    Split lengthwise, backbones
    Removed and discarded
    Lemon wedges to garnish

Whisk lemon juice, minced garlic, thyme, paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper in small bowl. Place chicken in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
    Pour marinade over; turn chicken to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
    Preheat oven to 425 F.
    Transfer chicken and marinade to large roasting pan. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Bake until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, basting occasionally with pan juices, about 50 min. Transfer chicken to plates. Garnish with lemon wedges. Pass pan juices separately.

NOTE: This chicken becomes dark, golden brown when you baste it - it looks beautiful and tastes delicious.

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Here's some more.

Beverly

• annova
    16 years ago

UNBELIEVABLE CHICKEN MARINADE

1/4 cup cider vinegar
    3 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    1 lime, juiced
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1-1/2 tsp. salt
    6 Tbsp. olive oil
    ground black pepper to taste
    6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

In a large, nonreactive container, thoroughly mix cider vinegar, whole grain mustard, garlic, lime juice, lemon juice, brown sugar and salt. Whisk in olive oil and pepper. Place chicken in the mixture. Cover, and marinate chicken in the refrigerator 8 hours, or overnight.
    Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil grate. Place chicken on the prepared grill, and cook 10 minutes per side, until no longer pink and juices run clear. Discard remaining marinade. 6 servings.

Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Ruthie Crickmer

My note: I use ¼ cup brown sugarsometimes add dried red pepper flakes or some Hot Sauce (Texas Pete).

Easy Cheesy Chili Chicken

2 T extra virgin olive oil
    2 T chopped fresh cilantro, plus a few whole leaves for garnish
    1 T chili powder
    1 T ground cumin
    2 tsps kosher salt (I use about ¼ tsp)
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (I use 1/16 tsp)
    (I squirt some fresh lemon juice in it at this point)
    (I also sprinkle some Adobo Seasoning from Penzeys)
    2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 halves)
    ¼ cup julienned green bell pepper - and some red bell pepper too
    2 T diced red onion
    1 medium plum tomato, cored & diced (about ¼ cup)I use more!
    4 oz shredded Colby Jack cheese (I use that shredded Mexican 4 cheese blend)
    Lime wedges

Preheat oven to 400. Line sheet pan with aluminum foil.

Whisk together the oil, chopped cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic, pepper & cayenne (plus lemon juice & Adobo seasoning) in a bowl; add the chicken & toss to coat.

Transfer the chicken to the foil-lined baking sheet & arrange the green/red bell peppers, onion and tomato over each. Roast until the largest piece is just cooked through, and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part reads 165 F, about 20 minutes (I just roast for 20 minutes)

Remove chicken from the oven and immediately top with the cheese. Transfer the chicken to a platter & garnish with fresh cilantro leaves & lime wedges. Serve as the cheese melts.
    Can use a little less or low fat cheese but author states it needs the cheese.
    Yield: 4 servings 8oz each: 455 calories; 20 g total fat; 8 g sat fat; 5 g carbs

source: George Stella

Easy Italian Chicken

4-6 chicken breasts
    1 very large tomato
    1 large bottle Italian dressing
    Grated Parmesan cheese

Place chicken in baking dish. Pour Italian dressing over the top. Cut up tomato to bite size pieces and place on top of chicken. Add cheese. Bake at 350 for at least an hour (less for boneless) or until juices run clear. Serve with white rice and pour "juice" over rice.

Source: creppo@aol.com

This is the basic recipe. I cut my chicken into thirds, sprinkle a little fresh lemon juice and either fresh or dried herbs over the Italian dressing along with a little garlic powder. I serve it with vermicelli. This is a great make ahead recipe as you can prepare everything except the cheese the night before. Just before placing in the oven, sprinkle the cheese over the ingredients.

SPICY FRIED CHICKEN (my version of Ming Tsai's)
    1-1/2 lbs. skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into thirds
    1 pint of buttermilk.
    1/8 cup Sambal Oulek
    1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
    1/2 tablespoon ginger, finely minced
    1 tablespoon honey
    1/8 cup naturally brewed soy sauce (I use less sodium soy sauce)
    1/2 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
    1 lemon, juiced

1 package panko bread crumbs
    A sprinkle of dried red pepper flakes
    1/2 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon sesame seeds
    1/2 tablespoon cumin
    Salt for seasoning
    Canola oil for frying

In a large bowl, mix together the buttermilk, sambal oulek, garlic, ginger, honey, soy, black pepper and lemon juice. Mix chicken in the bowl and let marinate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

In another large bowl, mix together the panko, red pepper flakes, paprika, sesame seeds and cumin.

Pull the chicken out of the marinade and season lightly with salt. Place chicken in panko bowl and completely coat the chicken. Heat oil to 350 degrees and fry until brown. Drain on paper towels and season again lightly with salt.

I like to serve with wedges of lemon (like wienerschnitzle!).

You can buy Sambal Oulek at a Thai market - it's extremely hot! Also can get the sesame seeds and a package of Panko at a Thai market.

I think it's best to let chicken sit in buttermilk overnight. Really tenderizes the chicken. (I even poke holes in chicken to help absorb the buttermilk).

I just shake the red pepper flakes over the Panko - no idea how much I use but I do like it spicy.

• mellikat
    16 years ago

Here is one from the Food Network. I made the chicken and the pasta dishes. Both were great and easy.

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Serving this for GS's birthday dinner. He requested that I prepare it, just for him :o)

Salsa chicken

INGREDIENTS
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix
    1 cup salsa
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
    DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
    Place chicken breasts in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle taco seasoning on both sides of chicken breasts, and pour salsa over all.
    Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 to 35 minutes, or until chicken is tender and juicy and its juices run clear.
    Sprinkle chicken evenly with cheese, and continue baking for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with sour cream if desired, and serve.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

I'll add a couple more to the mix. Very easy and delicious!

Chicken Divan

1 head broccoli, cooked and cut into florets
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 cups chicken broth
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    3 tablespoons sherry
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 pinch ground black pepper
    3-4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cooked and sliced
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
    1/4 c slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt butter or margarine in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour; add chicken broth and stir until thick. Then stir in ¼ c parmesan, cream, sherry or wine, salt and ground black pepper. Stir until cheese melts and mixture is thickened. Remove from heat.

Place broccoli crosswise in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour 1/2 of the cream sauce over the broccoli and top with chicken slices, pour remaining sauce over the chicken slices. Sprinkle top with 1/2 c parmesan and slivered almonds.

Bake 30 minutes at 350F, then broil 5-8 minutes to brown top. Serve hot over rice or orzo pasta.

I'll hang my head in shame for this one because of the COC Soup, but what the heck....it's good! Creamy Italian Chicken 4 boneless chicken breast halves 1 envelope Italian Dressing mix 1/2c water 1 8oz package cream cheese, softened 1 can cream of chicken soup 4oz fresh mushrooms, sliced Place chicken in bottom of crockpot. Combine dressing mix and water, pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Saute mushrooms in a small amount of oil to release their juice, drain. In small bowl, beat cream cheese and soup until blended, stir in mushrooms. Pour over chicken in crockpot, cook one hour longer or until chicken juices run clear. Serve over rice or pasta.

Lots of CF members have tried this one and it always gets a thumbs up!

Tuscan Garlic Chicken
    Inspired by our Culinary Institute of Tuscany, this chicken pasta dish is layered with flavors!
    Servings: 6
    cook: 30 min(s)
    Ingredients:
    3 lb(s) Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 1/2 cup(s) Flour, plus 1 tablespoon
    1 Tbsp Salt
    2 tsp Black pepper
    2 tsp Italian herb seasoning
    1 lb(s) Penne pasta
    1 Tbsp Garlic, chopped
    1 Red pepper, julienne cut
    1/2 cup(s) White wine
    1/2 lb(s) Whole leaf spinach, stemmed
    12 oz Heavy cream
    1 cup(s) Parmesan cheese, grated
    Procedures:
    Preparing the Chicken:
    - Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, black pepper and Italian herb seasoning in a shallow dish.
    - Dredge chicken in the mixture, shaking off any excess.
    - Saute the chicken in batches, in a large, nonstick, ovenproof skillet - with enough oil to coat - over medium-high heat for about two to three minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp.
    - When finished, transfer the ovenproof skillet to a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. Cook for approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
    Preparing the Pasta:
    - Cook pasta al dente (or according to package instructions).
    - Drain and set aside until needed.
    Preparing the Sauce:
    - While the pasta is cooking, heat 1/2 to 1 fluid ounce of oil in a sauce pan. Add the garlic and the red pepper and cook for approximately one minute.
    - Slowly add remaining one tablespoon of flour and stir to combine.
    - Next add the white wine and bring to a boil for about one minute. Add the spinach and the cream and bring to a boil. The sauce is done cooking when the spinach becomes wilted. Complete by stirring in the parmesan cheese.
    Preparing Tusacan Garlic Chicken Entree:
    - Partly coat the pasta with the sauce, transfer to a large bowl (or individual dishes) and then top with the chicken, the remaining sauce and extra parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy.

Linda

• san_
    16 years ago

our all-time favorite chicken recipe is known as firemen's chicken or cornell chicken! we par-boil the chicken pieces and marinate it for 30 minutes or as much as 2 hours:
    Firemen's chicken

½ C oil
    1 C cider or apple vinegar
    3 tsp salt
    1 tsp bell's poultry seasoning or sage

my husband says that cold, this is even BETTER than the above, which was his absolute favorite for years!

Algerian Roasted Chicken -- Lars--based on recipe by Chef Farid Zadi

1 whole chicken
    4 cloves of garlic
    1-1/2 tbsp Kosher salt
    1 teaspoon of sumac
    1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds
    1/2 tsp coriander seeds
    1/2 tsp fenugreek
    3/4 tsp cumin
    3 tablespoons of butter, room temperature
    1 tbsp minced Thai basil (or 1/2 tsp fennel)
    2 lemons
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    Freshly ground black pepper
    extra herbs, 1 tsp each minced fresh oregano and basil, optional
    4-5 sprigs of thyme
    Start charcoal for outdoor barbeque, using large chunks of mesquite wood and charcoal
    Place the chicken in a roasting pan with a rack. Slide your fingers under the breasts to separate the skin from the meat, turn the chicken over and do the same with the thighs.
    Mash the garlic with 1-1/2 tablespoons of salt in a mortar and pestle or finely chop the garlic and incorporate the salt into it with the side of your knife or back of a spoon. Add the sumac, sesame seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, and cumin and mix to pulverize the seeds. Add butter and basil and combine to mix. Tuck pieces of the butter into the "pockets" under the skin.
    Squeeze the juice of one lemon all over the chicken, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle freshly ground black pepper. Season the cavity with pepper, tuck in the lemon halves and more herbs into the cavity if desired.
    Place the chicken on the barbeque and cover, leaving vents fully open to maintain heat.
    Baste the chicken every 15 minutes alternating water and pan drippings. Midway through cooking turn the chicken 90 degrees. Continue frequent basting. The cooking time for a 3-1/2 pound bird is about 1-1/2 hours, depending on how hot your fire is. Cook to an internal temperature of 160°, measured in the thigh.
    Let rest covered about 30 minutes before carving. Squeeze fresh lemon juice into the roasting juices, and pour into a gravy boat. Add salt, if needed.
    Serve with roasted potatoes, green salad, and French or Italian bread.

this recipe is sort of unusual and i cut back on the sugar but, it really is good!

Aunt Sadie's Chicken --Jessica
    Ingredients for Marinade:
    1/2 cup light olive oil
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    3 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
    1 head garlic, diced
    Salt and pepper to taste
    4 sprigs fresh oregano, chopped
    1 cup pitted black olives, halved
    8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    3 bay leaves
    8 shallots, diced
    2 Tbs. olive oil
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, halved
    Two 16-ounce cans artichokes, halved and drained
    1 cup red wine
    Preparation:
    In a bowl, combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, oregano and halved black olives. Pour over chicken breasts in baking dish and top with 3 bay leaves. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerator overnight.
    After chicken has marinated overnight, saute diced shallots in 2 tablespoons olive oil and drizzle over chicken. Add light brown sugar, halved sun-dried tomatoes and halved and drained artichokes. Pour red wine over all and bake in 350-degree oven for an hour.

• roselin32
    16 years ago

San, on your Fireman's Chicken, you said you parboil it, then marinate it and then I assume you finish it on the grill??? Sounds good.

• san_
    16 years ago

hi roselin! i'm sorry--i should have specified that. and yes, you are correct. i tried the recipe in the oven once when we were really low on gas and it simply was NOT right!