Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pooh_1129

LOOKING for: how do you fix it!!

pooh.1129
16 years ago

When we bought our plants for the garden this year someone gave us three(3) plants that start with the letter "R" and is a member of the same family as cabbage. I cannot spell it so I am hoping that someone knows what I am talking about and how to cook it.

Comments (10)

• gardenlad
    16 years ago

Can you describe the plants a little better?

Rapine, for instance, is a brassica (that is, in the cabbage family). So is broccoli raab (could have just called it raab, donchasee. Arugala is called rocket (or rockette) in much of Europe, and has been appearing like that here, lately.

Could have been radicchio, but that's actually in the lettuce family.

Etc.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

If it's rutabaga, I don't fix it.

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

If it isn't broken, I don't fix it.

• pooh.1129
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ginger, thank you for helping with the spelling. It is a rutabaga and I have no idea how to fix them.

• lindac
    16 years ago

I love rutabega!...But usually they are harvested in the fall.
    Peel it, cube it and boil it like a potato until soft, serve with butter and salt and pepper.
    Or mash it....or serve it with a white sauce, which you have seasoned with a little nutmeg.
    Or slice it about 1/4 inch thick and layer it into a pan with sliced onion, dot with butter, salt lightly and pepper, cover with foil and bake at 375 abou 40 minutes.
    Sometimes I do that and also layer in some apple slices and some butternut squash slices.
    I always put rutabega into my beef veggie soup.
    Linda C

• booberry85
    16 years ago

Is it Romanesco? It looks like a cross between cauliflower, broccoli and some alien life form. I think you prepare it the same way you would cauliflower.

• annova
    16 years ago

My mother made a Swedish dish called Rutemusse (I think that's the spelling, not sure). You peel, dice and boil the rutabaga until soft. Drain and whip with butter, salt and pepper. Then you fold that into whipped potatoes (that already have been whipped with milk, butter, s & P). I've made it too and my family likes it.

• gardenlad
    16 years ago

Ahh, Rutabaga! As you search for recipes, it's also called "Swedes" (mostly in England) and "Swedish Turnip" in much of Europe.

You do understand that it's the root that gets harvested and eaten? It will look like a large, yellowish turnip, and is best after a light frost has touched it in the fall. That's when the sugars develop fully.

I'm not aware of anyone eating the greens, as we do with turnips. But I don't imagine there'd be anything wrong with it, either. I'd taste first, though, to determine the degree of bitterness (if any).

Here's a really great recipe:

Nutmeg-Glazed Rutabaga

3 tbls unsalted butter
    2 lbs rutabaga
    2 cups chicken stock
    3 tbls sugar
    Freshly grated nutmeg

Peel rutabag and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.

Melt butter in a large skillet. Add the rutabaga, stock, sugar and a pinch of nutmeg. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes.

Remove rutabag and set aside. Boil until liquid recues to a syrup, about 15 minutes. Return rutabaga to skillet and toss to coat. Dust with additional nutmeg before serving.

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

I've had rutabaga french fried and it was great.

Beverly

• beebonnet
    16 years ago

I love rutabaga, too. Although, summer is not the best time for it. It's better after a fall frost or cold nights. My fav is to cook 1/2 potato to 1/2 rutabaga. The potato cooks faster than the rutabaga, so use either separate pots or cook the rutabaga for awhile and then add the potato. Also add a couple of garlic cloves to the boil. When done, drain then and add butter and salt. Mash. This is a really good dish.