Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muddpies

LOOKING for: looking for tilapia filet recipes

muddpies
17 years ago

I am looking for some recipes with tilapia fillets. Never cooked them before, but I have some I want to try.

Comments (15)

• glenda_al
    17 years ago

Quick and Easy Baked Tilapia
    4-6 tilapia filets (5-6 oz. each)
    1/2-3/4 cup Italian dressing (olive oil base with herbs)
    cayenne pepper and salt

Arrange fillets in a glass baking dish and add the Italian
    dressing. Sprinkle fillets lightly with cayenne pepper and
    salt. Bake in hot oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or
    until fish flakes easily. Serves 4.

you can also grill

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    17 years ago

Sauteed Tilapia with Lemon-Peppercorn Pan Sauce

Serving Size : 2
    3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 1/2 teaspoons drained brine packed green peppercorns, lightly crushed
    1 teaspoon butter
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    2 (6-ounce) tilapia or sole fillets
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons butter
    Lemon wedges (optional)

Combine first 3 ingredients.

Melt 1 teaspoon of butter with oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. While butter melts, sprinkle fish filIets with salt and black pepper. Place the flour in a shallow dish. Dredge fillets in flour; shake off excess flour.

Increase heat to medium-high; heat 2 minutes or until butter turns golden brown. Add fillets to pan; saute 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove fillets from pan. Add broth mixture to pan, scraping to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat. Stir in two teaspoons of butter with a whisk. Serve sauce over fillets. Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.
    NOTES :
    This piquant sauce is perfect over plain white fish. Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the brightest flavor. Serve with white rice.
    Cooking Light - March 2004

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Tilapia is said to be the perfect American fish, because it lacks the strong fish flavor found in other species.

Bobby Flay made a great dish with it, once, that perks up it's overwise bland flavor.

Lay a tilapia filet on a round of parchment paper. Top the filet with anchovy butter. Seal the packet the usual way and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare a relish by halving a handful of cherry tomatoes. Crush some mint & parsley and toss in a skillet with the tomatoes and some reduced balsomic vinegar. Use this to top the tilapia after opening the parchment.

• carla35
    17 years ago

I season it with lemon-pepper and saute it in a mixture of a little oil and butter. When it is almost done, I squeeze some fresh lemon on it.

When serving, I pour a little of the melted lemon/butter from the pan on top of it. And sometimes even add some more lemon. Easy and very good.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I've made this with tilapia & it's very good with it or orange roughy:
    ORANGE ROUGHY WITH HERBED CITRUS SAUCE (serves 2)
    1 lb orange roughy fillets (or tilapia)
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/3 cup flour
    2 TBL olive oil
    Herbed citrus sauce (see below)

Rinse the fillets & pat dry. Soak the fish in the milk in a shallow dish 10 minutes. Drain. Sprinkle w/salt; coat w/flour. Heat the olive oil in a skillet until hot. Add the fish & saute 3-4 minutes; turn. Saute 3-4 minutes longer or until the fish flakes easily. Remove the fillets to a heated serving platter; drizzle w/the warm Herbed citrus Sauce. You can also broil the fish instead of frying.~~Texas Ties
    HERBED CITRUS SAUCE
    Cook 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic in 1 tsp olive oil in a skillet over low heat for 30 seconds. Add 3 TBL fresh lime juice, 2 TBL fresh lemon juice, 1 TBL fresh orange juice, 1 TBL choped fresh parsley & 2 tsp snipped fresh chives. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1 TBL butter, swirling the skillet until the sauce is blended~~

• roselin32
    17 years ago

We need to eat more fish and I do like tilapia so think I will get some and try your citrus sauce, Ginger........that sounds really good. Need to make some more of Ruthann's Tomato Basil Butter too now that the herbs are ready.

• babsinmd
    17 years ago

This is a Giada De Laurentiis recipe and it is excellent. Very light and flavorful. My husband loved it. I substituted spinach for the radicchio since my husband loves fresh spinach. The spinach and bean mixture would be good with chicken too.

Whitefish with Lemon Vinaigrette Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Yield: 6 servings
    User Rating:

8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3 shallots, thinly sliced
    1 large head radicchio (about 12 ounces), coarsely chopped (I use fresh spinach)
    1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    1/3 cup fish broth (I use chicken broth)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    6 (5 to 6-ounce) whitefish fillets, such as tilapia
    All-purpose flour, for dredging
    Lemon Vinaigrette, recipe follows

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the radicchio and saute until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and broth, and cook until the beans are heated through, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Season the radicchio mixture, to taste, with salt and pepper.
    Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a 14-inch (or 2 smaller) nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the fillets with salt and pepper. Dredge the fillets in flour to coat completely. Shake of the excess flour and fry 3 fillets in each pan until they are golden brown and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.

Spoon the radicchio mixture over the center of the plates. Top with the fillets. Drizzle the vinaigrette over and serve immediately.

Lemon Vinaigrette:
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup lightly packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
    2 cloves garlic
    2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Blend the lemon juice, parsley, garlic, lemon zest, salt, and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with more salt and pepper.

Yield: scant 2/3 cup
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: none

Episode#: EI1F04
    Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

• beebonnet
    17 years ago

Place the filets in a flat dish. Put some mayo in a small dish and squeeze lemon juice into the mayo along with lemon pepper, any herbs you might like and salt. Mix together. Spread a thin layer over each filet---so you see you don't use much mayo. Then I also like to sprinkle parmesan or maybe bread crumbs over this, but you don't have to. Bake about 350 until flaky. Real easy, real good.
    Beebonnet

• shaun
    17 years ago

This is how I make my Tilapia -

Put fish in a baking dish, top with a little olive oil, fresh garlic, salt/pepper and bake at 350° for about 20 - 30 mins.....just til it's flaky. Awesome!

• RuddMD
    17 years ago

I've made Dishes recipe of Lemon-Peppercorn Pan Sauce many times. It's a favorite in our house.

• lyndaluu2
    17 years ago

Hi!
    My husband and I LOVE tilapia...
    My receipe
    Pat dry your fish. Dip it into a dish of milk and then into Panko (Japenese bread crumbs) seasoned with lemon pepper. Fry in a small amount of extra virgin olive oil maybe a teaspoon. Enjoy.....

• grammasally
    17 years ago

For a really quick dinner I use one cup of mild salsa, place it in a non-reactive pan on medium after a light sprinkle of olive oil. I let it simmer for a few minutes and then place several tilapia fillets in the pan, cover the pan and cook until done. I only take the lid off after 10 minutes to check for doneness. Then sprinkle with some fresh cilantro and serve!

• maggie5il
    17 years ago

I rub it with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, put in a skillet, when almost done squeeze a lemon over it. Delicious. I sometimes buy the individually wrapped frozen ones from TJ's. They're small so I make 2 for my husband and 1 for me. Helps me with portion control - only 100 calories a piece. And they're ready in 5 minutes.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Was going through my recipe cards, looking for something else, and found my mom's recipe for fish in orange tomato sauce. It should work great with tilapia:

1/4 cup butter (or margarine)
    1 cup chopped onion
    4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    1 cup orange juice
    2 tbls orange juice concentrate
    2 tsp salt
    1 tbls brown sugar

Saute onions in butter until tender. Add tomatoes; simmer 10 minutes. Add the oragne juices, salt and sugar; simmer another 5 minutes.

Pour sauce over 2 lbs filets. Bake at 350 until fish flakes easily, about 25 minutes.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Beebonnet, I made your tilapia recipe tonite and we both really enjoyed it. Was going to make Ginger's Citrus Sauce with it but the fellows were here working on my bathroom redo and I didn't get out to get limes. There will be a next time though so will try it then.
    Thanks.
    RL`

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!