Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Layered Sandwich Spreads

Posted by omac (omacaz@cox.net) on
Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 9:23

I'm making about 8 layered sandwiches for a get together and am wandering what other fillings I can use besides the normal egg salad, ham salad, chicken, etc.

Also, does anybody know of a bakery near Highland, CA that will slice the bread lengthwise, instead of slices.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Layered Sandwich Spreads

Olive and cream cheese, cream cheese and pimento, cream cheese and chutney.
Years ago I made something called "sunshine sandwich" which was grated sharp chedder cheese and enough mayo to make it sporeadable.
Don't forget tuna in the mix and I have made beef salad sandwiches of ground leftover potroast, mixed with a little onion, worstershire, pickles and mayo.
You going to frost them with cream cheese and decorate with pretty veggie cutouts?
Linda C

o

You can make great spreads from things besides cream cheese, for example feta cheese, blue cheese or brie. I have made great feta spreads by throwing feta pieces, cherry tomatoes, red bell peppers and green olives and garlic into a food processor. Just make a smooth mixture and add some pepper to taste. Of course you can switch out the ingredients and make a wide variety of feta spreads.

Another good recipe is my version of "Obazda", a Bavarian cheese spread. Just mix equal amounts of cream cheese and Camembert or Brie (cut into small pieces or run through a food processor); add chopped, raw onions and add plenty of red paprika spice to make the mixture a bright orange color. This spread is best after sitting in the refrigerator for at least one day so the onion and cheese flavors can mix perfectly.

I am a vegetarian and these recipes are very well received by my meat eating friends.
Enjoy!

o

pimento cheese is great for ribbon sandwiches, which what I've always called them.

I make my own pimento cheese!
Will share if you are interested!

o

this recipe can be greatly simplified but don't skip making the onion jam and the horseradish--i'd eat that on almost anything and it is great with the beef!
Beef with Onion Jam and Horseradish crme frache
1 cup finely grated peeled fresh horseradish root (about 4 ounces)
1 8-ounce container crme frache or sour cream
1/4 cup white wine vinegar Coarse kosher salt
Mix the ingredients in small bowl to blend. Season to taste with kosher salt. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Onion jam
1 1/2 pounds red onions, very thinly sliced
2 cups dry red wine
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Tacos
10 7- to 8-inch-diameter flour tortillas, each cut into 5-inch square
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 9- to 10-ounce boneless rib-eye steaks, excess fat trimmed
For onion jam:
Combine onions, wine, honey, and thyme in large skillet. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until wine is almost absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 55 minutes. Mix in red wine vinegar. Simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors, adding water by tablespoonfuls to moisten if jam is dry and stirring often (onions will still be slightly crunchy). Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Before using, rewarm over medium heat until just warm, adding more water by tablespoonfuls if jam is dry.)
For tacos:
Preheat oven to 350F. Wrap tortillas in foil, enclosing completely. Place in oven until heated through, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in each of 2 heavy large skillets over high heat. Add 2 steaks to each skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board. Thinly slice steaks crosswise. Divide steak slices among warm tortillas. Top with onion jam, then spoonful of horseradish crme frache.
Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to peel away the horseradish skin, then a box grater, food processor, or Microplane. If the fresh is unavailable, substitute 1/4 cup of prepared horseradish. COMMENT: I don't really see the point in the tortillas, they just got soggy and didn't really add anything. But the onion jam was divine and I'll happily serve this as a meal with sourdough bread or potatoes in place of the tortillas in future.
Makes 10.

Bon Apptit
January 2004
Todd English

and i'm not a big fan of salmon but i actually like this quite well--i think a little goes a long way.

BAGUETTES with SMOKED SALMON
6 tablespoons unsalted European-style butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon drained capers
1/2 French-bread baguette
Dijon mustard
1 cup watercress, thick stems trimmed
6 ounces smoked salmon
Coarsely ground black pepper
An easy and elegant hors d'oeuvre. Mix first 3 ingredients in small bowl.
Cut baguette horizontally in half. Spread Dijon mustard on cut sides of bread. Spread dill butter over. Top with watercress, then smoked salmon. Sprinkle with pepper. Cut each sandwich crosswise into 6 equal pieces, making 12 total.

and no matter what you use as a filling for the sandwiches, a little pesto can always make it better, IMO--
Megans Pesto
Puree together:
2/3 C Parmesan
1 large clove of garlic
C almonds
2 C fresh basil
s & p
add in C olive oil
3T hot water

Three Herb Pesto
This recipe was created to accompany Sliced Tomatoes and Mozzarella with Three Herb Pesto. Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
2/3 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
2/3 cup firmly packed fresh mint leaves
2/3 cup firmly packed fresh parsley leaves
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 large garlic cloves, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, or to taste

In a blender or food processor pure all ingredients with salt and pepper to taste until smooth.Pesto keeps in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, chilled, up to 1 week.
Let pesto come to room temperature before using. Makes about 1 cup.

Serves 6.
Gourmet
May 1994

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here