eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: T&T Louisville Hot Brown

eileenlaunonen
16 years ago

Seen Bobby Flays throw down on this and would love a T&T Recipe

Comments (9)

• gardenlad
    16 years ago

I don't know about the throwdown, but----do you want one of the modern versions, that include ham and a cheddar sauce? Or do you want the original recipe, as served at the Brown Hotel, in Louisville, and which is known as "Kentucky Hot Browns?"

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

looking for original made with turkey and white cheese sauce thanks

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Here's link to the original Hot Brown.

Watch Bobby Flay the other nite, and saved this to make.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Hot Brown recipe

• gardenlad
    16 years ago

I don't know where the author got her her info, but it's a little short of the mark.

The original Hot Brown Sandwich used poached chicken, not turkey. Later on (in the '30s) Brown's Hotel did switch to turkey. After that, turkey and chicken were used interchangeably.

To lay it out "properly" take two slices of toast. Cut one on the diagonal to make two triangles. Then lay the toast out on the serving dish so the square piece is flanked by triangles.

Pile slices of poached chicken or turkey over the bread. Top with a good serving of Mornay Sauce---ideally, none of the bread or chicken/turkey will show. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan if you want.

Pop under the broiler until sauce is browned and bubbly. Lay two crisp bacon strips, criss-crossed, over the top. Garnish with a carved, sauteed mushroom.

Note that last. Most modern versions use a tomato for the garnish, but the original used mushrooms.

I have no idea where the pimentoes snuck in from. I have never seen nor heard of using them before reading that link. Frankly, I think it would lend a nice colorful touch to the dish, but it's not original.

Just as an additional historical note. Starting around the beginning of WWII, "colored" soldiers in uniform were welcome at Brown's restaurant. This made it one of the earliest southern restaurants to integrate on any level at all.

As a result, Brown's was very popular with soldiers going through the various training schools at nearby Fort (in those days Camp) Knox.

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

You seem to be the man in the "know".
    Just posted cause I found the link being asked for! :o)

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks

• bluegrasspeasant
    15 years ago

Dear gardenlad:

As a food writer and former employee of the Brown Hotel, I'm curious to see where you got your information about the origins of the Hot Brown. Below, you will find the Brown Hotel's official version (as far as I know) of the sandwich's origins, as recounted by Rudy Suck, a manager there in the 1920s. The story quoted below also explains the incorporation of turkey and pimento in the sandwich. I have never heard any claim that mushrooms were an original ingredient and wonder if there is any substantiation for this. Thanks.
    The Hot Brown was developed three or four years after the hotel opened when the supper dance business was falling off. The band would play from 10:00 p.m. until 1:00 a.m. When they took a break, around midnight, people would order food. It was usually ham and eggs.

We decided we needed something new. The chef, Fred K. Schmidt, said, "I have an idea for an open-faced turkey sandwich with Mornay sauce over it." At that time turkeys were only used at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and they had just started selling them year-round.

I said, "That sounds a little flat." The chef said, "I'm going to put it under the broiler." The maitre d' said, "It should have a little color, too." So Schmidt said, "We'll put two strips of bacon on top of it." I said, "How about some pimiento." That's how the Hot brown came to be.

• earl
    15 years ago

I did a Google on "Rudy Suck Brown Hotel" and the second hit has the recipe, plus some other interesting ones. YOu'll have to write it down as it can't be copied. Google link below

http://books.google.com/books?id=coA1FiirGxUC&pg=PA58&lpg=PA58&dq=Rudy+Suck+Brown+Hotel&source=web&ots=PMFN5X-9Gc&sig=5kHxJua7cO2uBX-AvkjALS21Bkk&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result

Here is a link that might be useful: google books

• bluegrasspeasant
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info.

P.S. Re the 10/31/08 post, it looks like this info can be attributed to the What's Cooking America website (http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Sandwiches/HotBrownSandwich.htm) with the © copyright 2004 going to Linda Stradley.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Cooking in America