Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Dried Apricot Jam

Posted by minirose1 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 8:51

Does anyone have a really tried and true recipe for apricot jam made with dried apricots? I've got one but it calls for so much orange juice that I can't imagine it having much of the taste of the apricots. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Dried Apricot Jam

This very old recipe from my husband's grandmother...very tried and true.

Soak 1 pound of dried apricots over night and then stew until partly done
Add a large can of crushed pineapple and 3 or 4 cups of sugar.
Add juice and grated rind of one lemon.
Cook together until thick like jam, stir often.
Pour into boiled glasses and seal with parrafin.

Now..some notes from me! Cut up the apricots before soaking...use just enough water to cover the apricots, and 3 cups of sugar is lots.
the predominate flavor in this jam is apricots.
Linda C

o

Linda, thanks for the recipe. I always can apricot jam for DH and our apricot tree didn't make this year. I will try your recipe using dried apricots.

I prefer not to seal with parrafin. Would it be alright to water bath?

o

LindaC, that dried apricot preserve sounds delicious. A great wintertime project. I'm cutting and pasting that one.

To answer the other question, boiling water bath is fine.

Carol

o

Wow, LindaC, thanks, that sounds just like what I was looking for. Will definately give it a try.

o

Dried Apricot Jam
1kg dried apricots
2.5kg sugar
2 litres water

Soak apricots overnight, drain off water, add sugar and boil. Add apricots and boil until the whole jells. A few blanched almonds are an improvement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here