Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chery2

LOOKING for: what to do w/ fresh blueberries

chery2
16 years ago

Well, they were cheaper than strawberries, and LOTS cheaper than cherries, and I needed a blue for July 4. So I bought a pint of them. When I realized I had no clue how to use them, I chickened out and paid almost $4 for a can of blueberry pie filling that I found decidedly yucky. Now the berries are sitting in their cute little balsa-wood basket in the fridge, just staring at me whenever I open the door and saying, "So are you going to let me just freeze to death in here, or make me the main ingredient in something wonderful?"

If I want to make a pound cake or a coffee cake, do I just add them to the batter as they are? How does one go about making a topping with them? [can they be frozen? sh-h-h] What's your favorite way to use them?

chery2

Comments (10)

• lindac
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Eat them!!! Put them on your cereal...in a salad, make blue berry pancakes...just sprinkle some on your pancake when you pour them on the griddle...blue berry muffins...just any old plain muffin recipe will do...if you add blue berries and a 1/4 tsp of cinnamon.
    For a pound cake, just add them to the batter....they will sink, but that's OK too...
    Blue berry crisp...just blue berries in a pan with a "crisp" topping..
    Topping:

3/4 cup flour
    1 stick butter
    1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon.
    3/4 cup oatmeal
    1/2 cup brown sugar

Make blue berry cobbler...
    Put berries and sugar in a purex dish and top with biscuits....frozen if you don't know how to make your own....sprinlkle with sugar and bake...
    I'd have eaten them all by now by just popping one in my mouth as I opened the refrig.
    Linda C

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I like to eat them straight with a teaspoon of sugar and some whipped cream from a can (easy).

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Roll them in flour before adding to cake or muffin batter & they don't sink so much.

BLUEBERRY SOUP (serves 6)
    2 cups water
    1 pint blueberries
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 lemon, thinly sliced
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)

Combine the water, blueberries, sugar, lemon slices & cinnamon stick in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat & simmer 15 minutes.
    Discard the cinnamon stick & cool the mixture slightly. Put through a food mill or puree in a blender or processor. Transfer to a bowl, cool completely & whisk in the sour cream. Chill thoroughly before serving.~~Vermont II, Kitchen Memories

BLUEBERRY SLUMP & GRUNT (serves 6-8)
    4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
    1 cup sugar, divided
    1/2 cup water
    2 TBL butter
    1 cup flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup milk
    Fresh cream, sour cream or ice cream
    Ground cinnamon or nutmeg, optional

To make the slump; combine the blueberries, 3/4 cup of the sugar, the water & the butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat & simmer.
    In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, remaining 1/4 cup sugar & milk to make a stiff batter. Spoon over the hot mixture as for dumplings. Cover tightly & simmer 12 minutes. Do not uncover during the cooking time. Serve hot w/fresh cream or sour cream.

To make the grunt: Combine the blueberries, 3/4 cup of the sugar & the water in a large bowl. Pour into a greased 2 qt casserole. Bake in a preheated 400Ͱ oven until the mixture simmers.
    Meanwhile, blend the flour, baking powder, salt & remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly, then add the milk, stirring to combine. Spoon over the hot berries. Bake in a preheated 350 oven 20 minutes. Serve hot w/fresh cream or ice cream. Sprinkle w/cinnamon or nutmeg.~~Merrymeeting Merry Eating

• pump_toad
    16 years ago

You can also freeze them. Blueberries are usually expensive but now that they are in season are affordable.I buy at least 12 to 15 boxes and freeze.Don't wash just freeze in the box they are in. When you want to use them shake out what you need, wash,thaw and enjoy.
    Lois

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Here is another good recipe posted by AnnT several months ago. It is one of our favorite muffins.

Individual Blueberry-Coconut Pound Cake Muffins
    Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 25 minutes
    Yield: 7 muffins
    User Rating:
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons freshly grated orange, lemon or lime zest
    2 large eggs
    5 tablespoons heavy cream
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
    1/2 cup blueberries
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter and flour 7 (1/2-cup) muffin cups (just butter if nonstick).
    Beat together butter, sugar, and zest until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in cream, then flour and salt, on low speed until just combined. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut and gently stir in blueberries.
    Spoon batter into cups, filling the cups, and smooth tops. Sprinkle tops with remaining 3 tablespoons of coconut.
    Bake in middle of oven until a tester comes out clean and edges are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Invert onto a rack and cool.

• chery2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YUM! everybody!! Thanks.

chery2

• rusty_ns
    16 years ago

This is one of the best blueberrie cakes I have ever made. I got it from an elderly neighbour years ago.
    ----------------------------------------

Blueberry Pound Cake

3 Beaten Eggs
    1/2 Cup Melted Butter (or Margarine)
    2 Cups Sugar
    1/2 tsp Almond Extract
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    3 Cups Flour
    1 1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
    1/2 tsp Salt
    3/4 Cup Milk
    2 1/2 Cups Blueberries

Method
    Beat eggs; add melted butter, sugar and almond - vanilla flavorings; beat well.
    Sift flour with baking powder and salt and add alternately with milk to make smooth batter.
    Fold in Blueberries. Pour into a well greased and flour dusted 9" (23 cm) found tube cake pan.

Bake at 350 F (180 C) for about 60 minutes.
    Cool and ice with "Cream Cheese Frosting".

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

You can use blueberries instead of any other berries (especially cranberries) in just about any recipe - or you can use them instead of raisins/sultanas/currants, too. Muffins, cakes, desserts etc.

They are nice on a fruit platter, much like fruit salad, but intended for self-serving. Or just add to a mixed fruit salad, maybe as a garnish.

Serve some fresh or stewed with ice cream or cream!

They freeze very well.

Blueberry Bread and Butter Pudding
    12 slices white bread, buttered, crusts removed
    400g blueberries
    2 cups milk
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    3/4 cup castor sugar
    3 tablespoons Cointreau
    1/2 cup orange marmalade
    cream or custard to serve

Arrange 4 slices of the bread, butter side down in a buttered ovenproof dish. Put half the blueberries on the bread, top with another 4 slices of bread and remaining blueberries. Cut remaining bread slices into 3 strips and arrange over blueberries. Whisk milk, juice, eggs, sugar, 1 tablespoon of the Cointreau, pour over bread and leave at room temperature for 1 hour. Heat marmalade with remaining Cointreau over medium heat until well combined. Brush over top of pudding. Place dish in a baking pan and half filled with water, bake at 180°C for 50 minutes. Serve with the cream or custard.

Blueberry Muffins
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 cup milk
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup molasses
    1 cup bran
    3/4 cup wholemeal flour
    3/4 cup plain white flour
    1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
    1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    1 cup blueberries

Stir lemon juice into the milk and leave for 1 minute. Stir in the egg, oil and molasses. In another bowl, mix the flours, sugar, lemon rind, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Add the mix mixture and blueberries and stir to combine. Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake at 190°C for 20-25 minutes or until firm to touch.

Blueberry Pancakes
    1 cup wholemeal flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    pinch salt
    pinch bicarbonate of soda
    1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
    1/2 cup milk or soy milk
    1/2 cup blueberries

Combine dry ingredients, stir in the milk and blueberries. Add more milk if batter is too thick. Cook in a non-stick frypan until done.

Blueberry Salsa
    2 cups blueberries
    1/2 medium red onion, diced small
    1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
    2 jalapeno chillies, seeded and minced
    1 red capsicum pepper, diced
    3 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1 teaspoon salt

Coarsely chop 1/2 cup blueberries. Combine the chopped and whole berries and remaining ingredients. Let stand 1 hour before serving.

Blueberry Cordial
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup blueberries
    juice of 2 limes or 1 lemon
    1 teaspoon tartaric acid

Boil the sugar and water for 5 minutes, remove from heat, pour in the fruit and juice. Simmer for 5 minutes, strain. Add tartaric acid. Stir well, bottle immediately. Store in the fridge but discard if it fizzes or grows mould. To serve, put a little into a glass, top with water or soda water. Passionfruit pulp may be used instead of blueberries.

Blueberry Jam
    6 cups (approximately 1.5kg) crushed blueberries
    4 1/2 cups sugar

Wash blueberries before crushing. In a large saucepan combine blueberries and sugar. Bring to the boil while stirring and continue cooking until mixture sets when tested, about 15-20 minutes. Immediately fill hot jars with the mixture leaving 3mm headspace. Place lids on jars and process for 5 minutes in a water bath. (If desired, 1 tablespoon grated lime rind can be cooked with the mixture.)

Blueberry Macadamia Cake
    125g unsalted butter
    150g castor sugar
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    250g self raising flour
    125ml milk
    400g blueberries

Topping
    125g plain flour
    100g brown sugar
    125g butter
    100g macadamia nuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 23cm square cake tin. Make the topping. Combine flour and brown sugar, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Set aside. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, beat in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the flour alternately with the milk, starting and ending with flour. Spread the batter in the top, top with blueberries, sprinkle over the topping and macadamia nuts. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a plate and turn again onto a cake rack. Leave until completely cold before cutting.

Blueberry Chutney
    3 cups blueberries
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/3 cup cider vinegar
    3 tablespoons sultnas
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/8 tespoon cayenne pepper

Combine all the ingredients with 1 cup water in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat.Reduce heat simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until thick. Cover and chill to use within 1 week, or freeze for up to 6 months.

Blueberry Tartlets
    2 cups blueberries
    2 tablespoons castor sugar
    1/3 cup orange juice
    1 tablespoon cornflour
    1 teaspoon grated orange rind
    250g cream cheese, softened to room temperature
    24 small baked pastry cases

Simmer berries with 1 tablespoon of the sugar and orange juice until plump and juicy. Stir in the cornflour, bring to the boil and stir over low heat until thickened. Cool, cover and refrigerate until required (will keep for up to 1 week). Beat remaining sugar and orange rind into the cream cheese. Spoon into pastry cases, and top with blueberry sauce.

• dottieq
    16 years ago

when baking with blueberries, hold aside about 1/4 cup of the flour in the recipe. Pour over berries and gently toss in flour before adding berries to batter. This keeps them from "bleeding" in the batter and will also help to distribute the berries in the batter more evenly.

• roselin32
    16 years ago

I've been making this for years ever since a friend gave me the recipe when we lived in South Dakota.
    Judy's Blueberry Tea Bread`
    1beaten egg
    2/3c sugar
    1 1/2c sifted cake flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/3c milk
    3T melted butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    1c fresh or frozen blueberries
    2T sugar
    Preheat oven to 400°. Grease a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
    Beat egg and gradually add 2/3c sugar. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add to sugar mix alternately with milk. Beat well and add butter & vanilla.
    Fold in blueberries. Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle with 2T sugar.
    Bake 25 minutes or til tests done.
    RL`

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!