Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: A meat loaf 'topper'

Posted by sharon_fl (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 7:04

I have to make 40 individual meat loaves today for an after Memorial Service luncheon. I make a good solid, tasty meat loaf but since this will be amongst other buffet foods as opposed to a 1 dish meal...I'd like to top it with some sort of glaze/sauce. An old landlady of mine years ago, used to spread chili sauce over her meatloaf before baking-the aroma was awesome, but the taste? Not so much. Any suggestions are welcome and with those ideas..should I apply it before baking or when it's almost done?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: A meat loaf 'topper'

Caramelized chopped onions, seasoned with worchestershire or a sweet white wine.
Or add some heat to that chili sauce with a little red pepper.
When I have done meat loaf for a funeral meal, I serve it in slices, but top some with a chunky tomato sauce I make out of canned diced tomatoes, chopped onion,celery and chicken broth, cooked until it's thick...bit of garlic.
Or chopped onions sauteed uintil dark brown and sweet.
Linda C

o

I use this:

cup tomato paste
1-tablespoon olive oil
teaspoon sugar
teaspoon dried marjoram
pepper to taste

Mix together and brush on meatloaf. This is enough for about 1- pounds of meat. Increase as necessary. It makes a tasty, shiny glaze.

o

I just top mine with ketchup or barbecue sauce. I put it on before I put it in the oven.

o

Blend some ketchup, a little chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and a little bottled BBQ sauce. We love this. Sorry I don't have any measurements - it's one of those "little bit of this, little bit of that" methods of experimental cooking :) AnnVA

o

I put this on my meatloaf just before putting it in the oven:
topping:
3T brown sugar
1/4 catsup
1 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Mix all together and spread over meatloaf just before baking.
RL`

o

I use tomate frito...which is part of my meatloaf recipe as some of it also goes into the mix. It's a tomato sauce fried in olive oil and sold here in Spain, but also in some stores in North America. Sharper and not as sweet as ketchup, it gives a nice tang.

The other toppings mentioned above also sound good!

Tomate Frito

My Meatloaf

SharonCb

o

roselin32 ---This is what I would do. PAULA

o

I do the same as Roselin, but add about a Tblsp. of lemon juice to it.

o

A ketchup grape jelly blend is good too.

o

I have always frosted my meatloaf with: Just ketchup, garlic salt, and Worcestershire sauce. Simple but really good, and I put it on quite thick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here